Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Two in the hand is still two in the cat bed.  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Draconian

Re: Two in the hand is still two in the cat bed.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »
Terrible awful bankrupting movie. Oh man.

Cinna smirked at the idea while he seared the steaks, getting a second pan for the vegetables. He cooked on high and what didn't work perfectly he fixed with his special brand of brain powers. Soba got to go into deep dark holes of peoples memories and come out slightly worse for wear. Cinna could cook his steaks perfectly. He'd eat politely tonight. Though, he usually did. "Bankrupt," He finally said giving his head a shake, his bright red hair falling into his golden eyes.

"Sounds awful, I can't wait." With one steak done, he let it rest on a plate and started the second one, since this one was Soba's he could leave it just the tiniest bit longer while the vegetables cooked and... Cinna turned off the potatoes and drained those, back to the pan. Steak off beside the other. Vegetables done and finally.

He turned off the stove, grabbed some plates, washed his hands and plated everything. Done. Bright smile to Soba he lamented his lack of a dining table and nodded to the coffee table. "I don't own... A lot," He said simply, gathering utensils and eyeing the bottle of whiskey. "Want water or whiskey?" Cinna pursed his lips shrugged and grabbed both the jug of water in the fridge and the bottle of whiskey. There. now they had choices.

Taking the forks and knives to the coffee table along with two clean glasses, Cinna returned back to the little island he'd left the plates of food on and nodded to the couch, "Go sit down and find that awful movie." He paused, "Please." He smiled and made his way over, putting the plates down and sitting back, "Don't worry about the floor if you drop something. Potatoes are kinda plain, but...." He shrugged, the rest of it would be good.

"So... Don't you get tired of eating out?" Cinna closed his eyes for a second, "Getting take out." He licked his lips and grinned before he glanced away, "I make most of my food - Unless it's like... snack food for drills or something so my pallet is.. Adventurous but doesn't get out much y'know?" He didn't even really know what Thanati food was. He finally cut into his steak and he gave a pleased hum at it. "Well, I got good news and bad news," He said after cutting off a slice and chewing with another pleased hum.

"The steak is juicy and these were the last two steaks I had until I get more groceries delivered which isn't for a day or two." 

Offline nephero

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 12:02:01 am »
Thank all the gods in all the heavens that Cinna was exotic looking. Unusual eyes meant that it was natural to want to stare, and those golden eyes begged to be stared at. Not just for the hue but the predatory nature of them, the underlying understanding that Cinnamon Rook, unarmed or not, was perfectly capable of rendering him into a red smear on the carpet.

Soba could respect that. He could respect the aptitude for physical destruction; it wasn't something that was typically useful in his line of work, but man, the ability to simply obliterate half the bastards Soba got to know so intimately? That was a delicious thought.

“Bankrupt,” Soba repeated, bringing himself back to earth and not off somewhere with sharp teeth and a hunter’s eyes. He grinned at Cinna, before doing as ordered and heading for the couch once more, hand at his brow in a little salute.

“Sir, yessir, finding one terrible schlockfest of a movie, sir!” he said, far too cheekily to be even close to something to take seriously. He settled back onto the floor, as was custom, his back against the couch seat and legs stretched out beneath the coffee table. He wasn't going to lie: The food smelled divine. Then again, he didn't exactly get that home cooked quality very often, so everything smelled divine. He certainly wasn't complaining about anything to do with the potatoes.

Or anything to do with anything. He was too busy already tucking in, flicking through the images on his phone screen before finally finding the correct file and syncing it up to Cinna’s television. There was a brief pause, before the movie overtook the screen, berating them with the hammiest synth rock to ever grace a set of instruments. There wasn't much to pay attention to, not yet, and so Soba didn't bother, swallowing the first delicious bite of his steak before trying to answer.

“Compared to this? Fuck yeah, I get tired of eating out. But, y'know, it gets late, and grocery stores are run by plant people who need the sun to function, it's this whole mess.”

The Inquisitor waved his hand a bit, before taking up the water pitcher and filling his glass, draining it and filling it again. He cut off another piece of steak, and hummed a bit at the tenderness of it. How did this guy not know how to open a coconut, but he could sear a steak to perfection? It straight up boggled the mind. Gesturing a bit over his plate with fork and knife, Soba glanced over where Cinna was seated.

“I admire and appreciate your brave sacrifice in providing me with one of your meat slabs. Thank you. Had I known they were the last of their kind, I'd have worn a nicer shirt.”

Whatever it was one wore in respect to the provision of cooked meats, only the gods knew. Soba liked to think it was exactly what he himself wore-- white shirt and torn up jeans-- but with the addition of a small bow tie. That sounded about right.

“I'm surprised you don't get out more often, with a more commonly set schedule. Ten years in Haviah enough of a burn out? Or just not the burn out type?”
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:02:43 am by nephero »

Offline Draconian

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 08:12:36 am »
A nicer shirt?

Cinna turned his head, chewing on his steak bit thoughtfully before he tried to picture Soba in a tuxedo or something. Hair back. Rose tattoo poking out of the collar to tease at the image of it. Cinna swallowed his steak and turned away before he put his fork down and went for another whiskey. "I offered you my meat slab," cheeky grin and he was done.

Wasn't much. Or at least it wasn't much for someone who could hold their alcohol worth a damn. Which Cinna could not. Luckily he burned off any buzz quickly enough. A sip of whiskey and a bite of food. It didn't take long for him to eat his veggies like a good boy before he flicked an ear and turned to the next question.

It caught him off guard.

Why didn't he go out?

Cinnamon didn't know the answer to that question. There was a moment when he opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. Burn out? Cinna took his last bite of steak and looked at the television while he chewed. Took a moment to take in the setting. Seated on the floor half under the coffee table, sometime during the meal the girls had managed to take up half the couch together.

Passed out kitten was his favourite state of being for them. Finally he swallowed the last bits of his meal and washed it down with a sip of whiskey. "I'm just... Not a very social ccreature," he stated with a shrug, "I love my job. I love the Squad. I leave the citadel and the ATC as little as possible. I get my groceries delivered. I get books delivered." Cinna frowned.

"I actually never thought of it before... Realized I did that." He leaned back and spread his arms out on the couch behind him, one arm partially behind Soba. Tempting to play with his hair again. "Anyway. I can't hold my liquior and the last time I went out I just kinda ruined the mood. You think this," he opened his mouth the whole way, taking a moment to pick his teeth in the back before he closed it, "Is cool. This is scary. I had a little girl look at me and just start sobbing once. I felt awful for days." Cinna sighed and turned his attention to the hot trainwreck on the screen.

Riveting. "This seems like one of those movies kids play so they can say they're doing something besides," Cinna's voice pitched into a falsetto, " ' me and my boyfriend are going to fumble around with his dick.'" Cinna grinned at his own joke, "By the way," he leaned in to look Soba in the eyes -- provided he turned towards the big red man.

" I only know a lot of what I'm interested in. Coconuts dont fall into that catagory. Neither does---" The ice cream! Cinna waved his tail slightly before he turned his attention back, pretending to look scary, whole mouth parted just slightly, the hint of fangs on display. "Much anything else."

Offline nephero

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »
“There's different kinds’a social.” Soba said between emptying his water glass and replacing it with a sip of whiskey. The Inquisitor watched, patient and without any visible sort of judgment, blue eyes flicking to catch the movement of Cinna’s ears as he spoke.

If he noticed the proximity of Cinna’s hand to his hair, he made no mention of it, instead taking a bite of steak and simply… letting the other Pilot talk through his thoughts. The pesky things were a maze on the best of days, and that was all without the benefit of having someone chatter at you while you tried to make sense of yourself.

A little girl had burst into tears. Oh. Oh, man, that had to have stung. Bad enough that part of the Kulshedra’s job description had involved being chained up like an animal-- after he was out of there it, theoretically, should have been fine. But having a kid cry at the sight of you? That kinda tended to negate any hopes for pretending to be “normal”.

As welcoming as Aedolis was of immigrants and nonhumans as a rule, there would always be that difference. Being the outlier was never fun, and Cinna would always be the outlier. His species was already a rarity as it stood, dying out if Soba remembered conversations correctly. Being the kind of rarity people were scared of?

Soba supposed it worked in terms of Cinna’s occupation. Combat squadrons liked scary, needed scary, could always use scary. Idly, Soba considered if Cinna wouldn't have been perfectly suited for a more terror-tactics squadron like the Scorpions. As soon as the thought hit him, though, Soba shook it out. No, that would've been awful.

Cinna loved his squad, and social life or not, he was well suited here. Fit for purpose, like they were all meant to be.

“Scary’s cool,” he said, finally, glancing back to the movie for half a moment, “otherwise there'd be no market for horror movies. Food for thought.”

Soba snorted at Cinna’s falsetto impression, and shot him a sly grin in response to tumbling around and boyfriend dicks. The action, however, had the added side effect of their eyes meeting, and not for the first time Soba enjoyed the sensation of being in a predator’s crosshairs.

Eeeespecially when Cinna leaned in with that sharp smile. It was only partially ruined by a sudden wag of the tail, but Soba hadn't had any real opportunity to ruminate on how Cinna resembled an excited puppy when he did that-- that thought, as it stood, was pinned away for later.

“...Noted. No coconut factoids from you. I'll just get my coconutty information elsewhere. So,” Soba tilted his head, regarding Cinna out of the corner of his eye. “What are you interested in? You said you had books.”

Offline Draconian

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
Despite his apparent denseness, Cinna was sharp. Sure he didn't know a lot, there would be time for him to learn. Lots of time for him to learn about coconuts. Everything - most things - were in books. There was also the unwritten things. The things Cinna just knew. Things that tingled at his spine and clawed at his brain.

There was an ever so subtle itch when he made eye contact with Soba. Not just Soba. Most humans. They were predators in their own right just... Cinna was more and he had to fight the overwhelming urge to lean in and taste that rose on Soba's neck. Cinna had gotten good at fighting down urges.

Still, Cinna couldn't stop how his ears flattened down, how his pupils turned to slits or how his nostrils flaired. The scent of train wad dying away. The specific cocktail that was his newest companion and he spent a moment to commit it to memory. His mouth parted and he licked his teeth before the world wooshed back.

Good thing that rose was on the other side of his neck.

"Interested in?" Cinna's pupils retuened to normal and his ears relaxed, " I... Everything. Eventually. I just finished a book about Adelan history. I have a shelf for Kulshedra stuff. There's a book on beekeeping. Several books on it." Cinna breathed through his mouth and his eyes flicked to the movie, but his predator was piqued and Soba was more interesting than a moving picture. So, quickly enough, his golden eyes were on his guest.

"Do you like your work?" His voice was soft, the slightest of purrs accenting his words, which caused Beep to get up and curl herself in the crook of Cinna's arm, stretched out on the couch, face pressed to the fleshy part of his bicep.

Offline nephero

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
Human beings were barely borderline in a lot of ways. Dull teeth, dull nails, no protective plating, no thick fur. Just bones and skin and organs. Fragile and delicate.

There was something to be said that they had turned out to be one of the apex predators on the planet. Soba looked up into those golden eyes, to the narrow slits of Cinna’s pupils, and felt the call of like to like. The recognition of a predator bigger and badder than he or any of his could ever hope to be. The vague instinct that told him if the chips were really down? He'd be on his back with Cinna’s teeth in his throat.

None of this surfaced as actual thoughts, of course. It was all basic, subconscious vagueness-- Soba didn't have any of the urges Cinna fought down. And probably for the best, because of he had, he might've recognized the look in Cinna’s eyes much sooner.

Blue eyes followed the path of the Kulshedra Pilot’s ears, narrowed slightly, before he relaxed again. He was still a novice at this, the whole reading a non-human's body language thing, and for the moment couldn't quite place what those flattened ears had meant. The stare, though. That had been intense, and even now something sang in his veins, leaving him on edge and anticipating… something.

And then it was gone. Cinna’s pupils widened, his ears relaxed, and he was speaking as if neither of them had skipped a best in their conversation. It was a lie, an unspoken falsehood, because even now Soba felt like his heart had been replaced with a hummingbird’s. And damn if he didn't like it.

“History and beekeeping.” Soba repeated, eyebrow quirking in surprise. There were just certain things he never expected Cinna to be particularly interested in, and that was one hell of a combo. History, maybe, the combat types always seemed to have a head for history, but apiculture?

It explained all the bee talk, that was for sure.

The Inquisitor couldn't help a low smile then, regarding the other through dark lashes. Fulla surprises, this one. Like a hunk of rock housing the puzzle pieces of some long dead critter’s bones.

He'd almost completely forgotten about the movie, if he was honest. Beep? Yes, Beep, green collar, had moved closer to her scaley papa as he purred, and frankly Soba couldn't blame her. There was something utterly disarming about the noise, such that once more, Soba found that his tongue wasn't tripping over itself chasing after the most ridiculous answer he could think of.

“Don't get me wrong,” Soba said, quietly, against the backdrop of white-clad ninjas combating a multicultural martial arts rock band on the T.V., “it's not fun, getting strangled to death. Or whatever else it just happens to be that day. Telepathic extortion, empathic terrorism, every last nasty trick these naughty boys and girls come up with. But my job? My job means justice is being served. I love every minute of it.”

He reached for his glass, and after flashing his teeth in a wicked grin, knocked back what was left of his whiskey.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 12:40:25 am »
Another curious tilt of his head and he moved his other hand to gently run a red scaled finger over Beep's tiny soft body. She curled in tighter before stretching out her little back legs and spreading her toes. Cinna simply took the information in. His own psychic abilities were very physical. His ability to manipulate fire was a physical thing. It did it's job to help him do his job and it was a tool that he used very well if given the right circumstances. 

Cinnamon couldn't imagine being in a situation like Soba. Getting into peoples heads. Seeing what they saw. Of course he'd seen some awful things first hand, but his reactions were his own. He'd never been trapped in some memory and forced to watch events unfold. It was a sobering thought. Of course he knew people could do that. He'd just never thought of the repercussions. Cinna closed his eyes for a moment before he shuffled a little bit closer to Soba, nudging him with his knee.

"That sounds way more important than what I do," He said, ears tick-tocking up and down in his slight embarrassment before he turned his head to look at the TV, frowned instantly and turned back. What did he even do. "Well. Right now. Which I think is a good thing. Never know though," He frowned slightly before he pushed a hand through his hair and cleared his throat, resting his chin on his bicep to look at Beep so close. Boop quickly followed suit, though she draped herself over his arm and rested her head on Beeps.

Taking a deep breath, he watched the kittens for a moment. Did they know how important they were? That someone had passed away thinking of their safety? Cinna grew sad for a moment, the whiskey finally catching up with him while he stared at the tiny fuzzy creatures draped across his arm. "Thank you," He finally said, "For... Letting me have them," he tried to smile, one side of his mouth lifting in something resembled more of a grimace. "I know rumours are most of our number one hobby and you could have taken the whole... Cat thing... to heart..." Cinna sighed before he smiled at the girls and then smiled at Soba.

"They're beautiful and I promise to love them forever," A slightly less doofy smile but Cinna was out of 'predator omnom' mode and more back to himself. Soba was new. Soba was new and potentially a threat and Cinna still had to adjust and adapt to that. Though, that would only matter if they ever hung out again.  Which Cinna wasn't so sure if they would. Most of time his little oddities threw people off. He was sure that just about the only people who could stand his strange moments of 'predator' was the Squad. But they've known him long enough to know it would just kinda pass by.  "Sorry about the ear wiggling and anything else odd," He cleared his throat and looked away.

"Also I'll have you know that those are just a few things. I own a lot of books," Cinna looked bright for a moment, "Wanna see?" He was quite proud of his collection, his ears perked up with his potential excitement before they drooped oh so slightly, "They're in my bedroom, if you're okay with that. It's clean. My room."

Offline nephero

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:17 am »
More important? Oh, Cinna. Soba looked him over, watched his ears flick in tandem with his emotions. It was… actually kind of interesting to watch. Years of conditioning left human Pilots harder to read, their body language stunted to a toddler's babble. It was hard to justify reading tension and anxiety in a population that literally existed in tension and anxiety.

Candidacy did a number on more than its share of Pilots, after all. It was necessary, of course, that the training imparted upon would-be soldiers be intense. They were Pilots, after all-- but in the realm of psychology and emotional stability? Who didn't leave the ATC without a few scraped knees?

And then there was the job itself, and everything else that came with it. Soba got a few extra minds in him, at the projected worst. Combat Operatives got killed on a bad day.

“I wouldn't say that. What you do is in preparation for what is necessary. Just because no one's decided to come knocking doesn't make it less important.” Soba waved a hand vaguely at some point in the distance as if that made it clearer, “Those domeless pricks could decide they're too big for their britches, and we'd be fucked if we hadn't put the effort in preparing for it. And besides,”

Soba's face split into a wide grin, razor blade quick.

“I always put a few credits on red team when the games roll around, and y'all don't disappoint.”

Cinna was regarding the kittens, something in his ears and face suggesting the thought wasn't exactly the happiest one. Beep and Boop didn't seem to notice, their eyes closed and soft little purrs emanating like audible heat. Soba again felt that phantom fondness to see the kittens so happy and content, or perhaps it was his own fondness, or perhaps it didn't matter at all.

The Inquisitor blinked, actually surprised by Cinna’s gratitude, and the reasoning behind it. He chewed his lip, considered his words, bit down before releasing the skin.

“Hey, you know. Can't bullshit a bullshitter. Something snarky about y'all using different cadences if you wanna lie to me.” He snickered, reaching over to pat Cinna on one well-muscled arm. It was a bit like slapping a ham, which Soba absolutely had never done before in any lifetime and so couldn't really make that comparison. But damn. Daaamn.

“Pshh. How dare you apologize for doing weird things. Number one telltale sign of werewolf fleas. You got werewolf fleas Cinna? Do they howl at the moon when they see it through the smog or do they just howl in general, I was never clear on those rules.”

Besides, was the unspoken thought behind the spew of ridiculousness, Soba was starting to learn. Not just about which ear wiggles meant Cinna was being bashful, either.

Soba was in the middle of pretending to pluck off imaginary fleas when Cinna lit up like a solstice tree, eyes bright and grin proud, and for a hot, irrational moment Soba wanted to slap literally everyone in the building, including himself. Because that was the logical response to the flipping sensation in his gut, right?

“Fuck yeah, I wanna see your books. I mean if I had to climb up to the roof for it I'd tell you to fuck off, but if it's just your bedroom I can swing that.” Soba snickered again, and made to get to his feet, leaving his com on the coffee table in favor of gathering up his almost-licked-clean plate. He stacked it with Cinna’s own and brought those to the sink, knowing full well the mischief kittens could get into if left alone with stray forks and tantalizing table scraps.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 03:37:17 pm »
The expressions on his face were unreadable. Stern, jaw tight, eyes narrow. However, when his ears werent pinned back by a helm they flicked and rotated and twitched and perked up and gave away just about everything he was feeling. Which was why he wore them.

Also to keep his noggin safe.

Cinna was too busy staring at the kittens and listening to Soba talk that the sudden contact caught him off guard. His ears flicked and he visibly tensed before he relaxed, eyes wide, mouth partly open. Ready to retliated. Being tame though, the reaction was just that and he just smiled and shook his head before he gathered kittens close and stood up.

Werewolf fleas.

"Damn annoying critters. All howls at all times of the day. Pain in my butt, its a full time job keeping my werewolf fleas off the girls," he moved to his bedroom, Beep and Boop cradled in one arm and he waited for Soba to finish putting the dishes in the sink. Both kittens were still passed out. One of them was snoring.

Pushing his door open, he did his best to keep his ears from going fiddly, perked up to catch any wayward noises that came out of Soba.

Cinnamon's bedroom was a far cry different from his apartment. It was stuffed. A nice wooden desk with a lamp. A notebook. Pens. A pair of carefully folded glasses and on every available wall was a shelf or a bookshelf and it was full of the priceless objects.

There was little to nothing electronic in it, except for an alarmclock shaped like a turtle with the time happily flashing in red. Cinna placed the kittens on his bed where they just rearranged themselves and fell back asleep -a large queen sized bed he barely fit in. Blankets a soft blue with a cloud pattern on them. Pillows matching.

"The bee stuff is over there," he pointed to a section of shelf on a mostly empty bottom area beside his bed. " So... Yup. This is my free time when I'm not dicking around in the chat. This is the newest one," he said, holding out a book about cats. "Apparently its bad that I freaked out about Boop's little kitty nipples."

Offline nephero

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
Oh my god there was a little turtle alarm clock. That was a little turtle alarm clock and it was the dopiest looking happy plastic-and-wires thing Soba had seen in his entire life. Well aware that he was grinning like a loon, Soba forced himself to turn from the alarm clock (but holy shit it was just so cute) and take in the rest of the place.

Now this, this was more like a home. Like if you had a lineup of different rooms, it would easily be pegged as belonging to someone. Maybe no one would guess it was Cinna’s, and that'd have been perfectly fair all things considered, but it still was where someone lived.

Soba regarded the books, all nine million of them, with a kind of awe, head tilted awkwardly to read the titles on the spine. Beekeeping, building an apiary, harvesting… wow, Cinna had really been on a bee kick. Still was, technically, Soba supposed. He had tried to get the Inquisitor to set up apiaries on his patio after all. Which, more and more, sounded like a great idea. They'd help pollinate all the flowers and he'd get a snack out of it.

Besides, it would give him something to focus on besides constructing life size robots out of old cereal boxes.

Soba looked up to see the cat how-to book, and couldn't help a face splitting grin and cackle.

“I wouldn't say it was bad. Funny as hell, but the worst thing to come of it woulda been a vet bill for nothing.” Still snickering, Soba returned the cat book and continued his browsing, stopping when he no longer recognized the words. Fiction maybe? Oh, wait, no, this had to be the bundle of Kulshedra books Cinna had mentioned.

If he had the time, Soba might've just sat down and started perusing, but that might be a little weird for the first time over.

“Got a favourite?” he asked instead, quirking an eyebrow over at the other Pilot.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »
Cinna noticed Soba eyeing up the Kulshedra books and smiled softly at how plainly curious he looked. Was it odd to be around where there was a whole tiny culture inside Aedolis? They didn't preserve much to his knowledge. Most of the books were from someone who wasn't Kulshedra and just enjoyed the culture. Which pleased, Cinna. Sure most of them were big and scary but he couldn't think of a more family orientated group of people.

A finger reached out to the kittens and he scratched under one of their chins to which the purring began and the sister snuggled in. A tender smile was on his lips and when Soba asked his question about his favourite book he turned the soft smile to him, and then his golden eyes flicked to the book case. Well, the one closest to him. Favourite book.

"Hmm," His voice rumbled out of him while he stood up, tail swaying pensively while his ears folded downwards, a finger to his chin while he tapped at his lips and tried to think. Just what was his favourite? Cinna licked his lips and hum'd again. Finally he reached forward and plucked a book from the shelf and sat down on his bed, his hand reached beside him and pat the side a few times in an offer - or demand - that Soba join him.

"This," He wiggled the book, hardcover, well loved looking, "Was my fathers. It's children stories. Well, not human children but..." A soft shrug and he moved to sit cross legged, tail curling around to the side on the bed and tucking his legs up under his knees, "It's in my language - well, my parent's language, I barely use it so and I can't really read it anymore. Pictures are cute though." He grinned and opened the book, looking at a page, "I guess I should give this back to them. Mama Rook is gonna pop any time now," He gave a shake of his head and then tilted his head to Soba and angled the book so he could look at it - also so he'd have to lean in a little because Cinna liked how Soba smelled.

"Do you have any siblings?" Then he paused, remembering just how the rest of Aedolis was and went a little quiet.

Offline nephero

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:00 pm »
Soba's fingers lingered against one of the Kulshedra volumes. With all the different people who came to Aedolis every day, there was no shortage of strange people and exotic cultures. It was a far cry, however, from a culture that lay right in the heart of the capital, a little pocket of an entire people who had a rich history all their own.

What was it even like, being something beyond just Aedolian? Being a part of a cluster all their own? Soba had never been anything beyond what he was-- his history was Aedolis’ history, the idea of having two was… fascinating.

He'd been prepared to debate the merits of just pulling one book down and skimming through, when there was movement and Cinna was moving to take a seat on the bed beside the kittens.

Soba let his hand fall from the bookshelf, snorting quietly at the subtle summons to take a seat. Far be it from him to argue with his host, especially after such a good dinner. So the Inquisitor stepped over and dropped down beside the other Pilot, leaning in to look over all the words that made absolutely no sense.

But they didn't especially have to. The book was humming, the lines of it almost bright, vibrating like some living bundle of electricity. Soba's breathing slowed, evened, feeling the waves washing over the book even from where he sat. Careful not to touch the book itself, Soba leaned in to better look at the pictures, his mouth quirking high to one side as the dark script seemed to blend in with the images, becoming a part of them while remaining distinctly separate.

The way the words swam, swaying back and forth like leaves on water, certainly helped the illusion. Soba could already imagine it: a father (remarkably similar to Cinna just because Soba didn't know enough Kulshedra to formulate anyone else) curled up with a small scaled version of himself, reading out loud while candles flickered just outside of Soba's vision.

Soba blinked hard, pulling himself back both literally and figuratively at the question of siblings.

“I don't know. Maybe. I don't know if my father continued the ever advisable practice of not using proper birth control methods. Never met the guy, and if you'd met my mother you'd understand why.” Soba shrugged a bit, his gaze suddenly turning overfond and his smile right with it, “I've got Tyke, and Aglio, though. They're more than enough family. And I never had to babysit them, or change their diapers, so, bonus."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 12:27:25 am »
It had never occured to Cinnamon that someone wouldn't have a family like he did. One of those things that were rarely apoken about and so he didn't really know. Like he didn't know cats had a hundred tiny bald nipples. A brief glance over his shoulder to the babies and then another look to Soba.

He'd noticed the strange sort of trance he went into when he stared at the book. The distant odd look in his eyes that was a clear staple of looking but seeing something else. "You got to choose your family," he nodded glancing away. Cinna turned back and smiled, closing the book.

"We're..." Cinna moved the book around in his hands, figiting with it. "Different.' He wiggled the book, indicating he meant his odd humanoid species. "There's actually..." Cinnamon stood up after shimmying off his bed, steps quiet when he walked back to his shelf. The book had been left on the bed while he looked for another old tome.

Bright eyed, tail waving back and forth behind him he flipped a page and then looked around. A moments pause and he remembered, "is this too much? You see stuff, right? From touching something?" At least thats what Cinna figured. He wasnt the brains of an operarion he was the muscle - though this muscle knew an alarming amount of information about bees.

Cinna returned the book back to the shelf, head tilted. "I forget what my voice sounds like when Leoru is in my head. My 'me' voice sounds like her for a while after." He pursed his lips and hooked his thumbs in the unused belt loops before he looked at the kittens, "Fire, I don't envy your abilities," he shook his head and held out a hand to help Soba off the bed.

"C'mon, lets go finish that bad movie and I can walk you to the station so you can go home," Cinna paused, "Or you can sleep on the couch if you're tired already." A little shrug bedore he wiggled his fingers. Then he paused, head tilting and studying his human guest.

It would be so easy to.pounce and nibble. So easy. Cinna licked his lips and tried not to growl. Maybe it was the roses. Had to be the roses.

Offline nephero

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:13 am »
There was just something about excitement. Not just bubbly-perky, but genuine excitement.

Shiloh had been excited. She'd loved how the skirt had fit, how it was cut just above the knee in tiers of flowery fabric. They'd been small flowers; heather and baby's breath and bundles of daisies line in blue against a backdrop of cream.

Shiloh had been excited. Soba was sure, if she had been born with the gift of a tail, she'd have been swinging it just the same as Cinna did then. It was Soba's favorite feeling to take a back seat ride on; rare, mind you, considering the nature of his job and how his abilities were normally utilized, but his favorite all the same.

It was what made him hate how quick Cinna was to hide his own excitement. To stop going on about what he liked or what interested him. It was a pity, and it was a pity Soba didn't know who had been responsible for such curbing behaviour. Soba was pretty sure he disliked them, though.

“Oh, yeah,” he shook his head, waving idly from where he sat as if to swat away the concept of being overwhelmed, “it's from touch. I can usually tell when something is going to chatterbox me, so as long as I don't give anything a great big hug it’s usually all right.”

The Inquisitor’s brows knit together for half a moment as the book was put away, before he smoothed out his expression and replaced it with a toothy smile.

“Aww, lookit you being a gentleman,” he said, teasingly, before taking the offered hand and letting Cinna pull him onto his feet.

“Well, I for one think a culture lesson is far better than martial artist music ninjas, but if it truly burns your soul to not know the ending, yeah, we can finish the movie.” Soba shrugged, hands disappearing into his pockets if only to give them something safe to do. “I mean, the exploding replica dojo scene is a thing of beauty, I'd hate to rob you of it.”

There was no such scene of course, but he’d been genuine for so long he was starting to have a muscle cramp. It was almost distracting enough to keep him from noticing Cinna staring, almost.

There went all of his predator-prey instincts again: nameless and directionless, but leaving him covered in goosebumps nonetheless. It was delightful.

“Couch, huh? Well, I am keeping track of who in Aedolis has the literal comfiest couch. I'd hate to leave out a variable and have my entire data pool skewed. Unless that was a subtle hint towards ‘get the fuck out’.” Soba scratched at his head, mussing at his hair a bit not terribly unlike Cinna had been doing earlier, blue eyes hooded and mischievous, “In which case, sure, fine, keep all your couch secrets to yourself.”

Offline Draconian

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
Don't bullshit the bullshitter.

Cinna didn't know how much Soba knew about his kind. Probably the same amount as everyone else - next to nothing - and that was fine. There was a fine line though, between being seen as Prey and not and with Soba being in his domain, surrounded by his books and his little turtle clock. His spine wanted to push him forward and--

M--- nope. Nope.

Cinna licked his teeth a took a surprised gasp of air. Nope. Not for him.  Clearing his throat he pursed his lips and tilted his head. "When you're in here you make me itchy," he said softly, giving an apologetic smile, "these are all my things. Feels like little fingers at my spine and - honestly - I want my teeth on your throat and it wouldn't be to kill you." He smiled, if Soba was going to lie forever, Cinna could at least be honest. Thats how it worked right? One lie and one truth meant even ground or something.

"Anyway. I can bring a few books to the living room if you're actually interested. The movie was shit. I was just trying to politely shuffle you out of here because i'm embarassed by my non-human reaction." Cinna crossed his arms over his chest and looked pensive, "Usually the itch isn't so bad." A little shrug, "must be because you're so dainty." He grinned and winked again and moved to the books, grabbing the old tome before moving to his desk and putting on his glasses. "Wanna hear some childrens stories?"

Offline nephero

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
Whatever reply Soba had been expecting, that wasn't it. He blinked, more than a bit surprised as Cinna explained the sudden need to vacate the room, and that surprise only grew by the moment.

‘I want my teeth on your throat and it wouldn't be to kill you.’

Soba’s lips parted, facilitating a soft, short intake of breath. All of a sudden all he could consider was Cinna’s mouth, wide and gaping and full of teeth, and every last set of them pressed to skin that was never designed to withstand such a thing.

Predator mouth, prey skin.

Soba licked his teeth, clicked his tongue, and shot Cinna a grin of his own-- though nothing that would ever really compare to the loose-jaw face-splitting and honestly utterly thrilling one the Kulshedra was capable of. But what Soba lacked in visceral capability, he made up for in style, left canines bared as his mouth quirked hard to the side in a teasing manner.

“I think they make a cream for that… itching, burning sensation. Aches and pains and everything else that ails you.” The inquisitor winked, blue eyes sparkling with mischief even as he turned towards the bedroom door, one hand at his forehead in mimicry of a classic damsel in distress.

“You've found out my secret! I am but a delicate little flower, small and fragile and so easily left wilted. Hah!” He snickered, pushing his hair from where it had fallen in his face, carding his fingers back and shaking out the strands. At the mention of children's stories, though, he perked up, if that were even possible, and gave Cinna a solid nod.

“Shit yeah. Regale me with tales of derring do, or whatever y'all read your kids. It's way better than musical ninjas, seriously, Cinna, that movie was terrible and a highly transparent means of establishing small talk.”

Now all but shaking in mirth, Soba stepped through the bedroom threshold, finger-gunning the whole way.

“Besides. Flowers grow better if you talk to them.”

Offline Draconian

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
The grin just made it worse.

No no. Be good.

Just because there was some weird primal attraction didn't mean Soba actually wanted to be bitten. Or maybe he did. Absolutely wouldn't want what the biting implied to Cinnamon. The idea was probably hot. Not anything else though. What strange friendship they've created would have to be good enough for him. Would be good enough.

Cinna was content to be a purr buddy.

The play acting at being a damsel was gifted a small smile and he perked his ears up and shook his head softly. A little eyeroll and he resisted the urge to follow closely behind Soba to get a whiff of roses again.  Might be rude though, after just saying how much he wanted to chew on his neck. Cinna licked his lips and adjusted his glasses before he watched Soba finally leave his room.

Just in time. Mistakes could have been made.

Good mistakes. Still, mistakes.

After he planted himself on the couch, leaving enough space to be leaned on, he glanced to Soba and opened the book again. Door open ajar for the kittens should they choose to vacate the bedroom. "This story is about a little kid who really wants a fish," He said, smirking, "And he can't get any 'cause they won't jump into his net..." Cinna frowned at the picture for a moment, "Anyway, it's a story about learning how to hunt. There's one about how precious the fire is. Our kid's stories are weird ass." He held the book out for Soba, "You can look through it if you like. It's not as delicate as it looks."

He looked away for a moment, "Or, you can rest your head on my chest and I can purr to you and read this in badly translated common between bouts of purrs."

Offline nephero

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »
Five minutes was all it took for Soba to learn some very crucial information regarding one Pilot Rook. One was that while he put out a general air of being a bit of a meaty jarhead, he was very well read and far more intelligent than he ever publicly let on. Or rather, publicly had a chance to show off.

Two, was that even after years of Aedolian subsidies, where there was no need for things like subsistence hunting, there was still a heavy cultural emphasis on that very thing. It may have been just in children's stories, but children tended to grow up, and take their childhood morals with them. Kulshedra were predators, one hundred percent, and even if Cinna was shy about it here, Soba doubted he'd been shy back in Fire Town.

And three, perhaps the most important factoid of all, Cinna looked damn good in glasses.

Even more so when he was being bashful while wearing them.

Soba grinned even as he sank into the couch cushions, gesturing at the book in between gentle prods to Cinna’s shoulder.

“The purring option. Can't have a good story if it ain't in mangled common, I always say.” Not really giving the other Pilot a chance to change his mind, Soba scooched over, rearranging their mutual limbs until he was tucked in just beneath Cinna’s jaw.

It was a bit of a win-win, really. He could still see the pages, as completely foreign as the language was to him, and thus the accompanying pictures-- all while settled against what was apparently a space heater disguised as a person.

It was downright cozy, so much so that Soba completely forgot whatever smartass remark he'd had lined up, and had to do a quick search to find something to replace it.

“Ooh, weird ass, my favorite. Like the one about the possessed children's toy who turned into a donkey and then grew a soul in a fish.” Soba grinned up at Cinna from where he was settled in, eyebrows wiggling wildly. “Gimme your best shot, firefly.”

Offline Draconian

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »
Genuinely Cinnamon was surprised when Soba all but crawled over him to tuck himself against his chest. Cinnamon was sure his less than human features made people unsure at the very least and weirded out at best. Once Soba was settled, he felt warmth blossom in his chest and a tinge of a flush on his cheeks. What had he been expecting?

At least they weren't in 'his' space now. Now it was just strangely cuddly and Cinnamon licked his lips, curled an arm around Soba's waist and adjusted himself and his purr-buddy so he could hold the book. "Exactly like the fish soul," Cinnamon confirmed before he flipped to the next story. Hoping his confusion didn't carry out in his voice.  The next story was about the fire. The pictures were cute and the main character was a little red kulshedra. The fire tender was a pale opalescent girl.

Cinnamon did his best to explain it in a non convoluted way and in between the pages, so Soba could examine the pictures, he made his purring noises and drew his fingers and the blunt side of his claws up and down Soba's back. Eventually, his eyes started to close and he shifted so his chin rested in Soba's hair and all he could smell was that flower he apparently liked so much.  The purring continued until he remembered that oh right there was a human on his chest and he was reading a book.

"Sorry, I think I fell asleep there," he grumbled, clearing his throat and picking up where he left off. A story of their jobs. How their role in society was designated by the colour of their scales. The red was a simple guardian and would never amount to anything more. The opal girl was to tend the fire until she died. That was the way things were and they always would be. Sort of. Cinna yawned widely - hoping Soba couldn't see just how widely - and his mouth closed with a snap.

Again, he drifted off, purr constant and his hand drifting up and down Soba's back rhythmically, hand slowly relaxing on the book

Offline nephero

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
Soba's lips pulled, curling into the tiniest of smirks, always thrilled to be the one catching someone else in the throes of bullshittery. Exactly like the fish soul, Cinna had said, and had said with every intention of sounding like he knew exactly what the hell the fish soul thing even was. It was a great effort, to be sure, but like he'd said before, there was simply no bullshitting a bullshitter.

Especially an old pro like him.

But none of that mattered, and the compulsion to chatter on about something completely unrelated was but a very small one. Made even smaller at the sight of the tiny red Kulshedra, by the sound of Cinna's purring, by the sensation of nails against his back, gentle scratching in some idle display of cuddliness. Certainly nothing he would have expected of two near-strangers, but he was having trouble finding fault with that. This was just so... so...

Nice. Usually Soba had to get solidly baked to feel this nice, but here he was, one arm around Cinna's middle and the rest of him nuzzled close, his eyelids drooping as Cinna purred away. He didn't even notice when he finally closed them, and he doubly didn't even notice falling asleep for the effort.

Soba startled a bit when Cinna's book slid from his hand, spilling over his lap and landing on the floor. It wasn't a loud noise by any margin, but it was enough, and the Inquisitor blinked bleary eyes at his very, very unfamiliar surroundings. Wait, not unfamiliar. Cinna's place. He was at Cinna's place, and...

Had it always been this dark? What time was it? Rubbing at his eyes, Soba slowly sat up, disentangling himself from the other Pilot who he... wow, he might have actually drooled on, because that was classy and not at all gross. Somewhere in the course of... whatever time they both spent unconscious, they'd slid to the side, and Boop and Beep (Beep and Boop?) had adjusted themselves accordingly to better facilitate group cuddles.

It was adorable, really, seeing Cinna snoozing away still, ears twitching at something in his sleep, that too-big mouth slightly open as he slept. Something warm blossomed in an alarming place in Soba's chest. It was awful tempting to just settle right back on in and listen to that light, rumbling breathing and--

Awful, awful tempting. The most awful. So very awful, and as suddenly as that warmth had come, it was gone, replaced with cold, terrifying realization.

Mmno. No. This wasn't good. This was ultimately very much doubly un-good, and he... he needed to go. He needed to go right now, he needed to get his jacket and go before he did something even more stupid like--

Like falling asleep in someone's arms again. Like enjoying falling asleep in someone's arms again. Like enjoying the idea of being able to fall asleep in someone's arms again. Like enjoying the idea of someone being routinely available to fall asleep in their arms again. Like--

No. Nope. Time to go, Henning. Time to absolutely one-hundred percent go. This was stupid, this whole thing was stupid, and it was even more stupid that despite all the screaming his brain was doing, nothing about him wanted to actually move. Slowly, jittery hands reached down to retrieve the book, and Soba set it on the coffee table for safe keeping.

Slowly, jittery hands gathered up his belongings, and Soba ran his hands through his hair to muss the sleep out of it. Slowly, eager to leave but hesitant to go, Soba stepped across the apartment and slipped out, taking a few solid breaths in the main Citadel hallway to steady his nerves.

This was dumb. How did it get this dumb? He knew better, he absolutely knew better, and yet there he'd gone and done it anyway. It was fine. This was fine. He could fix this, nip it in the bud so to speak and just. Be more careful.

Unbidden, Cinna's words came back to him; 'I'd bite your throat and it wouldn't be to kill you.' A very real reigning in of impulses that had no place being there. That were too dangerous to be there.

That needed to be controlled and

denied.

Soba would have stayed the night, and it wouldn't have been to play with kittens. And more than anything else he'd ever dealt with, that thought was the scariest. The Inquisitor took another breath, long and deep, and let it out in a quick sigh.

Control and deny. He could do that.

He had to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal