Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Mugging the Dragon [Rhi]  (Read 1617 times)

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
  • Awards Awarded for participating in the Shiny New Libra event of 2014! You've been with RotE for one year! Go you!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Gender: Nongendered. '...' will serve until the English language comes up with a proper genderless pronoun.
Mugging the Dragon [Rhi]
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:47:38 pm »
Sarah had been to many types of places in her long (compared to most humans, anyway) life. Deserts, swamps, forests, space stations, ships, towns, villages, even the odd city or two. She'd always seemed to manage just fine as far as finding her way around went, with only the city requiring her to use a map.

It was for this reason that she found it odd and slightly frustrating to be standing around, looking at a map she'd bought at a budget store, unable to even figure out where she was (this one had no 'you are here' feature), let alone where she was going. The Draconian mechanic tugged at one of the straps of her red overalls (which often earned her stares on the Cancer), holding the map in the other as she tried to make sense of it. A voice beside her broke her concentration.

"Hey, watch out for pickpockets.", the voice warned.

<Thanks.>, Sarah responded, her left hand immediately going to check the pocket that held the datapad she used for accessing customer files when her work took her out of her workshop. Relieved it was still there, the dwarf returned most of her attention to the task at hand, with only just enough focus on her surroundings to tell if someone tried to steal the datapad.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:26:30 pm by GIR »
Please do not steal the waffle-flavor waffles or the bacon soap. Also, you gonna make buscuits?

-------------------------------------------------------

Imperial Knight Eva von Draconis
Pirate Captain Drake Morgan
Imperial Knight-Commander Heavy Wilhelm von Tartarus
Mechanic Sarah
Multi-Role AI Trotzige Schwert vonPunane Tolm [WIP]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They've got waffle in 'em!
I'm gonna sing the doom song!
Yes. Wait a minute... No.
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes...
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Mugging the Dragon [Rhi]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:31:44 pm »
No city was perfect, not even Haviah.

If you were shrewd and smart, or just desperate, you could find a way up. Maybe not up in life, but physically up, could find the weak points in the infrastructure that the The Man kept patching up whenever they could and you could exploit it. It was dangerous as hell, and Xalexi knew she might be messing with a ticking time bomb, but the rush was worth it.

And so was the swag.

She didn't share her secret with anyone else, because hell if she wanted some dope messing this up for her. But sometime in the last year she had learned that where she lived was located directly under one of the big middle caste tourist traps--completely by accident. It was a small section that had apparently been overlooked, maybe because it was just older, but the sewer system down there connected to the sewer system up there, and so she'd managed to find her way up to the middle lever tourist district that way.

She didn't go often. Just once in a blue moon. The cameras were always on, and even if they might miss one girl in a huge city of millions once or twice, because human error was a thing, it wasn't like it wouldn't eventually catch up to her. She needed to stretch this out! Make it last!

And so she savored it. It was a small treat.

She cleaned herself off in a public restroom after she surfaced in an alley--luckily she'd gotten good at not getting dirty, but it was never 100%--and then, with a skip in her step, she headed out into middle caste society.

And nearly had a heart attack when she turned a corner and walked right into a mini DRAGON.

"HOLY FUCK!" she yelped, scrambling backwards rather gracelessly and falling on her ass.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
  • Awards Awarded for participating in the Shiny New Libra event of 2014! You've been with RotE for one year! Go you!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Gender: Nongendered. '...' will serve until the English language comes up with a proper genderless pronoun.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:56:04 am »
Sarah was looking at her map again, like a lost tourist, when she felt the human walk into her. A hiss of annoyance marked her displeasure as she turned to face the offending mammal. <With a human? What kind of a freak do you take me for?>, she snarked, her annoyance doing nothing to curb her sense of humor, or her rate of speech. The words were compressed into a high-pitched telepathic beep. <I'm no expert in this world's dialect of the common human tongue, but I believe the words you're looking for run somewhere along the lines of 'Pardon me'? Nice show of gracefulness, by the way.>, she added, this time making sure to speak slowly enough to form words, tail hovering dangerously to her side. She looked the human over as she awaited a reply.

The first thing that struck her was that the human looked remarkably like some of the ones that had come into Kelly's shop when Sarah'd been serving as her slave. It was a style the humans of that world had referred to as 'metal'. Or had it been 'punk'? Perhaps 'rock metal'? Or was it 'steel punk'? ...It had been a while, and Sarah had never really been exposed to much in the way of subculture in her time as a slave. In any case, it was a familiar look to her. The second was that the human's scent was subtly different from the others in the area, beyond the usual differences in individuals. It carried tones in it that suggested a lower class than those around her. <... Human, you're not from this part of the city, are you?>, she asked, genuinely curious. It was almost as an afterthought that she noticed the prosthetic arm.
Please do not steal the waffle-flavor waffles or the bacon soap. Also, you gonna make buscuits?

Mechanic Sarah
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes...
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
"Uh, no, I actually did mean holy fuck 'cause...holy fuck!" Xalexi gasped, scrambling backwards and away from the beast like a crab, a wild, panicked look in her eyes. When she was a safe enough distance away, she leaped to her feet.

She didn't even hear what the creature had to say; she didn't care to listen. Spinning on her heel, she turned and bolted, running as fast as her legs would carry her and shoving people out of the way as she went.

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »
Despite being a slave most of her life (or, perhaps, because of it), Sarah had developed something of a temper. If, by 'something of a temper', one meant that pissing her off was both easy and violent. And being disrespected by some idiot human who couldn't even watch where she was going was one way to do just that. In less time than it took to blink, Sarah seemed to teleport between the floor, the walls and ceiling, and then in front of the offending human. Sarah's tail flashed, the blade going from straight behind her to hovering millimeters from the human's chest. <The way I see it, you've got two choices: Take another stab at that apology, or I take a stab at you.>, she hissed, both literally and figuratively, <And fair warning: If you survive the latter, you'll wish you hadn't.>, she added, not caring that others around them were staring.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:55 am »
Xalexi yelped when suddenly, the dragon was right in front of her. She screeched to a stop with the blade waaaay too close for comfort, large eyes locked on it. Ohshitohshitohshit. ..

"A-alright! Alright! I'm sorry! Okay?! Just...don't...put that shit wherever ya was gonna put it..."

Real fear had gripped her, making it hard to breathe. She took a shaky step backwards and held both hands to show she meant no harm--and to prepare to block with her robotic arm if it came down to it. She'd probably lose it, but that was better than losing more flesh.

Gods. A dragon. That would be just her luck! She hadn't realized some were so small, though...or that they wore clothes.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:36 pm »
Well, it was a fearful apology, and quite likely a 'please don't kill me' apology, rather than an 'I'm sorry' apology, but it was an apology. Close enough, Sarah supposed. <Better.>, she sighed, moving her tail blade to a position to her left side, after wrapping her tail around her waist just enough to leave a few feet for stabbing, if it came to that. In the space of less than half a second. <Though I would like to know how 'holy fuck' seemed like an appropriate response to bumping into someone. As I understand it, 'fuck' happens to be a rather rude thing to say in the human language I'm familiar with.>, she added, as if she was really one to be speaking of rudeness at the moment. She hadn't even given her name, after all, to speak nothing of threatening to stab someone.

<By the way, you never answered my question, human. I'm guessing you didn't hear it.>, Sarah noted, <You're not from this part of the city, are you?>, she asked, her tone purposefully even. It wouldn't do to have the human run off again, especially since she hoped she was wrong about the human being from a different class (even a foreigner like her could grasp that once class seemed to determine which part of the city one lived in here.). A local whose attention she held, and who was evidently scared of her, could be useful in helping her find her way around, now that she thought about it, and Sarah was definitely fed up with being lost.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:28:09 am »
Some of the tension drained out of Xalexi when the dragon put that tail blade away. Some, but not all. She was still a dragon, and Xalexi's heart was still in her throat as she waited for the other shoe to drop. The dragon was probably just fucking with her or something now.

"Um...'cause I was startled?" Xalexi supplied, and took yet another step backwards. To the second question, she frowned. "Am I bein' interrogated or somethin'?"

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:20 am »
... <I swear the mäda nakatunud-muna back in the other galaxy had more sense than this tuhi kahur.>, Sarah muttered half-'aloud', the six fingers of her right hand splayed across her muzzle in a fashion similar to the human gesture of 'face-palming', minus the obvious difference. <You're being asked questions. If that disappoints you, I could turn this into an interrogation, but I'd rather not. My patience is already at its limit, and you backing away certainly isn't renewing it.>, Sarah explained, <You mind answering the question?>, she finished, tail twitching. The human's evasive manner of speaking certainly wasn't helping her mood, and the crowd around them could tell, resulting in the area suddenly becoming a bit roomier.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:50:01 am by GIR »

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 03:09:01 pm »
Wait a minute.

Something clicked in Xalexi's mind as the dragon face-palmed, and it solidified with her following words.

This dragon was asking her these questions...

Because she didn't know the answer.

If she was a dragon dragon, like a Pilot dragon, then surely she could have just read her mind and gotten the answers on her own! But no, this dragon seemed exasperated! Which meant...

Xalexi broke out into a wide, relieved grin. "Yer not a Pilot's dragon, are ya?"

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »
Humans tended to move irritatingly, gratingly, excruciatingly slowly. They ate slowly. They spoke slowly. They waved slowly. Everything they did was so slow as to almost be at a standstill. The same could be said for most species, actually. But when the first thought crossed Sarah's mind, it referred to an even slower human than normal. <Is this mak slow or what?>, she thought to herself.

The second thought produced one of those 'Imma fuck you up' roars. No one, under any circumstances, on any world, in any galaxy, at any time EVER let on that they thought someone owned her, if they had any interest in not gambling their lives. The roar was powerful on its own, reducing any nearby glass to sharp, shiny pebbles, but the raw magic Sarah unconsciously unleashed with it added a quality that cracked the metal around them as well. <NO, I DO NOT BELONG TO ANY HUMAN, YOU->, Sarah roared, barely having the presence of mind to slow it down, <-BRAINLESS, BLIND, WEAK, COWARDLY, SIMPERING, USELESS LITTLE MAMMAL! AND CAN'T YOU EVEN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DRACONIAN AND A DRAGON?>, she continued in ancient Draconian, though, on some subconscious level, she wondered how it was that the knew how to speak the language with enough fluency for the next several human seconds to be filled with every swear, slur, negative idiom, and insult the language held, getting faster with each one. When she'd finally exhausted the Draconian vitriol, she moved on to several human languages, then a handful of other alien languages. It was a wonder that her tail blade never found its way into the human at any point in the tirade.

When Sarah was finally able to get a grip, She simply held the map out. <Just tell me how to get off this worthless shithole of a rock. At this point, I don't even care if it involves being shot out of a ridiculously large cannon manned by walking wind-up bombs. I want off. If half the humans here are as stupid as you,  no amount of money is worth putting up with it one second longer.>. Sarah no longer cared about the job she'd come to do. As far as she was concerned, the client could rot in that hell place Kelly had always told problem customers to go. Sarah would contact the client and tell them to send the wreck to her chop on the Cancer, or find someone else, most likely when she was somewhere where she wasn't mistaken for a slave. Or worse, some idiot fighter jockey's pet abomination (something had always turned her normally imperturbable stomach whenever she had to look at those things the humans called 'dragons', though Sarah was hard put to explain exactly what it was that did that.).

[sorry if this is bad... My brain spit this out, then refused to cooperate when I tried to come up with a less rage-y version...]

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »
[ooc: It's not bad at all. xD No need to tone it down, go with whatever is IC for your character, after all! Conflict! Whee!]

Shiiiiit, she was dragon meat!

Xalexi clapped her hands over her ears and ducked her head when the creatured gave that blood-curdling, glass-shattering roar, and she crouched down into a cower to shield herself from a spray of glass shards. Shiiiit, that was the wrong thing to say, clearly! She half expected to have her face ripped off and chewed up like gum. Or, you know, to be skewered like a kabob and maybe roasted.

Finally, though, the dragon--draconian?--wound down, and Xalexi peeked up cautiously at her--and brushed glass shards from her body with her metal hand.

"Uh...well...how'dja get on this rock? 'Cause I figure ya'd get off same way ya go on..." Xalexi said slowly, as though explaining it to someone very young--or someone very dangerous that she didn't want to offend.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
The area seemed to darken as Sarah expressed her darkening mood through magic, her mind still just enough on this side of blind fury to recognise that the increasingly irritating human would be of little use to her writhing in speechless agony. <Speak faster, brakja. You humans speak too slowly as it is. As for how I got here, I arrived on a ship.>, she responded testily. The darkness began to writhe slightly as the light faded to night-vision-goggles-required level, <If I knew how to get back to the docking bays, do you honestly think I'd be standing here, wasting time with a useless map and an only slightly more useful human? Directions would be appreciated, and very, very quickly.>.

The area was quickly growing more lonely as the others around the two began practically stampeding to get away. It was doubtful that Sarah would ever be allowed to return, but, at this point, that would be far too soon. Sarah was 100% done with Aedolis.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
People were running, darkness was settling, and Xalexi was starting to grow nervous for an entirely different reason. It didn't seem this dragon-thing was going to hurt her--she could have already but hadn't--but now there was a bigger issue: she was attracting attention, and the last thing Xalexi needed was that!

If she got caught up here...

"Okay, okay! But ya gotta calm down, lady!" she said, waving her hands in a placating gesture and looking this way and that, half expecting the police to show up any moment. Yikes, she needed to get out of here! And needed to get rid of this crazy beast!

"Okay, look, if ya go down this street, ya gotta make a right at the end, then another right, then a left, alright? Then if ya just follow that street straight down fer a couple miles, you'll get there! It'll be on yer right, ya can't miss it!"

In truth, she had no idea where the docking bay was, but she'd always been a smooth liar and at this point she just wanted to distract the creature long enough to slip away.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:50 pm »
One does not tell an ill-tempered person to calm down in the middle of a rage unless one knows how to go about it. The phrase 'calm down' often was uttered as an empty platitude, a way of dismissing the inconvenience of the offended party's anger without addressing or even caring about the problem. Rarely did it ever accompany any sort of apology or even any acknowledgement of any offense. The phrase was no sooner out of the human's mouth than Sarah hissed in further irritation. Oh, and one more thing... <I know what that word means in your language, human. Don't let it escape again.>, she fumed.

<That's better. Now lead the way.>, Sarah responded, still not calm. She wasn't about to take the human at her word. She'd had too many people try to scam her, and had had too many people rely on prevarication to distract her from them when they feared her wrath. <And, before you try slipping away, I can track your scent.>. It wasn't a total lie. Her nose was sensitive enough to differentiate her from other humans. She just didn't have as much practice with using it as a method to track people as she'd have liked, especially in such a highly trafficked area.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
Xalexi's mouth dropped open, and then quickly turned into a grimace.

Shiiiiiiiit.

"Uh, lady? I don't fuckin' got time fer that," she said with a sniff. "I gotta like, go to work an' stuff. Ya want me to write down th' directions or somethin'? 'Cause seriously, I gotta jet. I'm gonna be late."

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »
<Make time. Unless, of course, you're lying to me. That tends to be bad for people's healths.>, Sarah snapped, her response accompanied by the 'flat' of her tail blade flashing at the human's shoulder, <And what did I say about that word, brakja? Call me that again, you'll be needing a doctor.>, she added, the darkness becoming almost suffocating as she spoke. Sarah didn't actually know what being called a lady was supposed to mean. She'd learned to treat it as an insult from the fact that customers to Kelly's shop had often used it almost as an epithet, as a means of trying to 'put her in her place', often to the effect of putting themselves in the hospital when they learned the hard way that one did not insult one's tough-as-nails mechanic. Either way, though, it pissed her off. The Draconian's posture was an aggressive one at this point, one that, to those who knew what to look for, and to those who didn't know, but were smart enough to work it out, was a sign that her patience was on the edge of being at it's end.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 05:01:18 pm »
"What? What word, lady? I kinda said a lotta words so yer gonna hafta be more specific!" Xalexi said, cringing back from the tail blade and raising her artificial arm to shield herself. Hooo man, she was not cut out for this shit! She just wanted to come up here, check out some stuff, maybe swipe a few things from a store or pocket or two, and then get the hell out of dodge before she got caught!

"An' while we're on about words, th' fuck's 'brock juh' mean? Huh? But seriously, lady, it ain't that I don't wanna help an' all, but if I miss work I'll be in big trouble an' th' boss man's not gonna take th' whole 'I was helpin' a dragon to th' dockin' bay' shit as an excuse."

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »
That tore it. The thought had scarcely entered her head when her hand was around the human's neck. <Cut the fucking crap. You know exactly what I mean.>, she snapped as she threw the human to the side, into one of the stores whose windows she'd shattered earlier. At this point, the darkness became a crushing weight on any humans still in the vicinity. Sarah appeared next to the human again, her tail blade at the human's throat. <Then take me to this 'boss man' and I'll explain it to him. Then you're going to take me to the docking bay, and I will be leaving this ruuhajk world and the filthy brakja that inhabit it, never to return!>, she growled, her words accompanied by another roar, <And don't even think about calling me a lady again, unless you prefer your head to be separate from your body. I am a female, and, if not by name, you will address me as such, not some weak little lady you think you can walk all over.>, she added. The few times she'd ever been this pissed off and able to show it, people had died.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »
Xalexi let out a shriek when the dragon-woman tossed her into one of those stores--which happened to be a convenience store. She hit one of aisle shelves hard, knocking some cookie packages onto the ground, and, dazed for a moment, she was struggling to get back up when the dragon was there. And her blade was up against her throat.

Stupidly, her first panic-induced thought was how easy it would be to swipe a few things from this place while it was empty because everyone had fled. Then she got her wits about her again and focused on what actually mattered her--like this beast that looked out for blood.

She stared up at her and, cringing, backed up against the shelf as much as she could. She reached up with her metal hand and tried to put as much of it between that blade and her throat as she could. Shit. Shit. She was so dead here.

"O-okay la--er, uh...person..." Xalexi corrected, swallowing hard. Shiiiit. What was she supposed to do here?! She was so gonna die.

She hunched her shoulders, as though trying to make herself smaller. "Okay, so, uh...look. Lemme--lemme just be real for a sec, okay? Um, just, y'know...don't kill me? Please?" It was becoming crystal clear that there was no escape here. If she tried to lead the dragon off into the city and tried to slip off during it, it would be bad if she got caught. But, fuck! What happened if she told the lady--er, dragon--that she'd been lying?

In desperation, she decided to play one her last cards--the pity card. It wasn't even hard to fake it right then--the trembling in her body and voice was very real, and so was the fear. She met the dragon's eyes. "Like, I'm gonna be honest, okay? An' that's to say, shit, I don't know where th' fuck anythin' is, an' I don't got a boss, I don't even come here much! But yer scarin' me an' I'm sorry an' I just wanna go home and please, please, please don't hurt me no more! I didn't mean nothin', just...don't kill me."

She was rather proud of herself when real tears of desperation filled her eyes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:44:27 pm by Rhi-Rhi »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal