Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Light in Darkness [open!]  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Tally

Light in Darkness [open!]
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:13:47 am »
Jordan had never been to Teinar.  Pictures hardly did the place justice.  He could scarcely have put into words this curious marriage of industrious and joyful, of peril and hope, of darkness and enlightenment.

His monk's robes and bald head drew glances, but little more than passing curiosity, quickly abandoned.  These people had better things to do, it seemed, than gawk at strangers.  Everywhere he looked, the citizens of Teinar were busy, working, toiling, being useful.  If it weren't for the utter lack of daylight he might have been happy here in the long term.

His wandering found him winding in one of the little-used tunnels that wormed its way underneath the city, providing alternate, emergency routes in case of a crisis.  He hadn't seen another soul down here for a full five minutes, but there was no worry of wandering outside of Teinar.  It's borders were rigid, defended.  This tunnel would lead him out somewhere.

No artificial lighting down here.  Instead, they'd lined the corners of the tunnel with that blue, glowing vine.  A cluster of tiny crystals in the walls caught their light and glistened.

Wait—those weren't crystals, but droplets of water.  As he stared, one of the clinging drops became a trickle, then a second gave way, then a third...

"Hm."  This...this could actually be problematic.

Listenbeastie

Re: Light in Darkness [open!]
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »
Distant but growing louder was the sound of surging water around him. Newly grown puddles became streams while the small holes were getting larger and larger. After a small while there was a dull smack against something above. This repeated three times before the earth gave way to what seemed to be a large metal pipe. Clinging desperately onto it was a masked man in drenched clothing. Water poured viciously into the tunnel, propelling the pipe-riding daredevil on as he cackled and screamed through his mask, "ALL ABOOOOOAAAARD!"

Alas, the source of the liquid faltered and what was in the tunnel already spread thin along the ground, starting to settle or slowly roll along further. While the source was still steadily pouring into the area the sudden burst was over. As the pipe lost its support and stopped on the ground it started to roll to the side, over the person's right foot and hand. It was heavy enough to be slow about it but light enough not to immediately crush them.

"...Beep. Beep boop. Bop boop bop. Rrrring rring! This vessel is parked and safe, thanks to Coffee Life Insurance Financial Beeline Sphinx. Have a nice day, you worthless bum!" He sort of just stayed there for a bit, lying partially in the muddy water, making random sounds with whatever mouth the mask concealed. After a few seconds the loon lifted a smaller pipe into the air and started to smack the larger one repeatedly, causing a loud 'clang!' every few seconds.

...Problematic indeed.

Offline Tally

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:38:17 pm »
To compound his troubles, the earth above Jordan now shook and rumbled.  Not with an earthquake—it didn't have that vast growl to it.  This was localized, something right above him.

Backing up a few steps seemed wise.  He backed up a few more just for prudence's sake.  Just as he was considering full on running in the direction he had come, the ceiling dropped out of the tunnel—thankfully not on top of him!

Water gushed about his ankles, his knees, all the way up to his waist before it began to subside, and he had to press himself up against the wall of the tunnel to avoid the huge metal pipe that shot down the corridor.  With the water retreating, the pipe came to a rest on the ground and deposited it's...rider.

Jordan took some long, deep breaths to calm his racing heart.  There had been some moments of genuine mortal panic in all that, when it seemed like the water would never stop.

When he was reasonably collected, he edged forward, toward that...person who was now yelling at no one in particular.  "Hello?"

Listenbeastie

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:09:19 am »
The clanging continued for a moment after his inquiry and it didn't seem as though the odd individual lying in the muck had heard him at all. This was proven wrong eventually as he spoke up. "Speaking of sphinxes, make sure to dust your ankles once you've reached the cotton candy. Who knows what'll show up; not to mention the sheer undogliness of it all." The weird one pushed himself up and brandished the small pipe before tossing it aside in no small amount of agitation.

"Where can a perfectly decent banner get a facecan around here? I need it, broski. I need it! OH! Or better yet, grapesicles!" As he spoke the madman kicked idly at the muddy water, a tail winding up behind him. "Do you know where a certain stingray might find these objects of power?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:14 pm »
Jordan's sandals squelched upon the soggy floor of the tunnel.  It was mostly hard stone, but with just enough dirt to turn it into a disgusting tract of mud.

Was that a tail?

"In the city?"  Jordan pointed upward.  The poor guy was out of his mind, but if they could get him back up to the city, the authorities should be able to find out where his minders had gone.  It was Jordan's understanding that Teinari took good care of their own.

Listenbeastie

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:43 pm »
The madman paused and tilted his head to consider this, scratching at his drenched mask in consideration. Little claws tapped against the metal parts quietly. "The city is where the vessel lies. Well, no... beneath all. The ones above, the Heaveners, they want to use my banana boat in their sundaes. Luckily I have expertly hidden it right around... uhm..." he pointed up, as though that would explain things for him. "The metal screams, my good dandelion. Perhaps the lifeblood is plentiful, but indeed much enough to drown the poor critters of this ring of hell. I never knew hell was so pretty! I read about it in an article once! They say fiction but I say otherwise."

With that he started to try and pull up the large pipe; with difficulty. "N-now, in order to claim it in the name of... those wh-who cannot..." The hollow cylinder was pulled up enough to stand upright, its bottom hitting the ground with a thud. The tail waved again elegantly, reaching over to run against the metal experimentally. A few pairs of legs attached clicked harshly against it. "...Breathe!"

"The city, you plead? It would be perilous indeed to reach such a place... who knows what fallen angels might start caressing us with their damn cherub dolls. You know, the ones they keep in the hidden compartment and stroke endearingly at the lone hours! I don't need more sugar in my life. What say you? I think I'd need to check with my invisible overlord."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:44:13 pm by Listen, beastie! »

Offline Tally

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:59:00 am »
Jordan nodded as though he understood a word the man said.  He nodded like it made perfect sense and he was totally listening to it instead of waiting for his own chance to speak.

"To be fair, we're already in the city."  Jordan walked a little ways past then paused, hoping the fellow would follow along.  If he didn't then Jordan supposed he was just staying down here for awhile.  He couldn't just leave this guy here.  Though if they had to lug that pipe all the way back up through the tunnels, it would take forever.

"This is still Teinar.  We're just in one of the emergency tunnels that the city maintains."

Listenbeastie

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:31:17 am »
"It should not be... the labyrinth should have its own name." The lunatic turned his head, peering over his shoulder. "Oh, please do not suggest that! I just ate but I am a glutton! The angels do not appreciate it if I should take in excess. That's simply rude, dandelion." One of the man's claws reached up to scratch at his shoulder. "--Oh! Speaking of which, I have something to share! Its your 'ucky day!" The tail's legs tapped against the pipe as he was taken by childish enthusiasm. "You'd do well to accept it! They say charity is smelled upon!"

With that he withdrew his backpack, holding gingerly onto its straps while crouching down to rummage through it. From within he produced a miniscule tin of something before closing the thing again and putting it on his back. The hand the smaller object sat in was extended to Jordan. "I make smoothies! Lots of them, in fact. It was a prescribed diet from an old doctor of mine. Sometimes I like to spice them up a bit, though. You know, literally and figuratively. Sometimes I even use sugars, when I can come across them. This one has some; a very sweet variety of my usual drink, if I do eclair."

Offline Tally

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:22 am »
"It...does?  The emergency tunnels?"  Probably not what the guy meant by it's own name.

Getting them out of the tunnels wasn't happening, so Jordan returned and held his hand out for...for whatever he was about to get.  It might have something to do with smoothies, it might be something else entirely.

"This is usually the other way around.  I'm supposed to be the one offering charity.  Oh, I'm Jordan."

Listenbeastie

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 03:25:09 pm »
"How silly of you! Dandelions do not have names! But... I suppose I could entertain the idea for a bit. They say that's healthy for growth. Also lots of sunshine; which reminds me, what are you doing down here?" The man tilted his head but did not await an answer. "Unless you're a fungi." Punny as that was, it didn't seem to be intentional. Well, at least it wasn't a joke. He didn't seem at all amused.

The object wasn't very heavy but it was full and it was warm; whether by insulation from the madman's pack or otherwise. An unknown liquid sloshed very slightly inside of the container. "Perhaps we could ascend to catch some rays sometime, then."

Offline Tally

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:42:51 pm »
Hm.  The container in his hand shifted in its weight like it had fluid in it.  He held it carefully.  Didn't want to open it accidentally—no telling what was in this thing, especially considering that it was warm.

"Thank you."  It didn't look like it was in danger of busting open or leaking, so Jordan transferred it to a pocket in his robes.  Out of sight out of mind, he hoped.

"I was wandering, contemplating...exp loring I suppose.  I've never been to Teinar before."  The wet cotton clinging to Jordan's entire lower half was putting a chill in him.  "We could go up now if you like."

Listenbeastie

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
The lunatic very calmly listened to him, tail swishing about with enthusiasm. When Jordan made his suggestion he nodded and walked towards one of the walls, trying to climb it with his clawed hands. Despite his feet being wet the stranger didn't seem to have an issue with his objective, crawling along toward the city, acting directly against his earlier claims of having no interest in going there.

While doing so the madman made mock parrot noises.

(Necroing threads Dx but I didn't mean to drop this, I'm so sorry.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal