Ships > Ships

Making the Rounds(Atlas Crew)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bowen:
"Shipboard humidity's always low for my tastes," Kahaku said drily, "but I've gotten pretty good at rigging the systems to run better than they were intended."  He gestured behind him towards his cabin with his tail.  "I haven't had the chance to convince it to go about fifty percent yet."  Despite the difficulties, he simply shrugged.  "I'm usually pretty good with dry air so long as I can keep my scales properly hydrated - tends to be the bigger issue, to be entirely honest.  Soaking takes more water than a little misting of the air."

"Acting up, huh?  I'll add that to the list of things to get to first.  You were concerned about the shields, though, and so long as the filtration is getting by for the moment, I'd say that getting the shields running properly would be a higher priority?"  He left it as a question; he could survive without much water for a while - had before and would again - but faulty shields didn't only open the ship up to attacks but to loose debris, which could cause almost as much damage.

Dreamwolf:
"The shields in question are containment shields to prevent pirates or other uninvited guests from getting too far, I worked on the design along with the engineers back in the space port, then they came out with a new software program for it. And to answer your question from before, I've been working on the Atlas since I was fifteen, so for the last eight years, I started out as lowly guard but got promoted two years ago." Fen didn't mention that the reason for his promotion was the same as the reason for his biometrics.

His artificial hand clicked along his thigh in a habitual tic indicating he was thinking. A buzzing on the ship-comm made him stop.

"Chief Fenrir, please report to Deck D for a class 3 altercation at the Hydragon." The message was repeated twice more.

"Deck D is the entertainment deck, would you mind coming along? The shields aren't a top priority, but there's a nice water park where you can moisten up your scales the Hydragon is our best feature on the water park, it's essentially a water canon that shoots you out into a pool at high speed."

Bowen:
Kahaku nodded; his specialty and preference might be water systems, but engineers had to deal with shields - and everything else that made up the ship.  "I take that to imply that this ship is worth sticking around on?" he offered cheerfully.  It was nice to know that there were younger chiefs of staff on board, and Fen had already been in his position for a while.

His jaw and spin fins flared the moment he heard the word 'entertainment.'  He'd heard a bit of the Atlas' amenities, but Deck D he had yet to see.  "Mind?  I'd love to!" he replied quickly.  Fen's description - WATER PARK! - only stretched his fins wider and set the tip of his tail to rippling against the floor.  "Class three altercation?  Particularly serious?"  Different ships used different codes; he'd have to pick up the Atlas' particular jargon shortly.

Dreamwolf:
Fen nodded. "Class three altercation isn't too bad, it means more than three people are involved but fewer than six, if they had added a code blue to that it would mean physical violence. So its just a bunch of people arguing and getting all worked up over some trivial matter. It's probably a bunch of teenagers fighting over a girl or something."

Fen took the lift to Deck D with Kahaku, arriving on scene to a group of five teenagers surrounded by a larger group of adults. Fen stepped up and everyone fell silent except for those arguing over what turned out to be which teacher at the school was better.

"Unless you all want to be scrubbing C Deck for the next six days I suggest shutting up." Fen had put on his work voice, the voice that commanded attention and respect. "This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time, children." He emphasized the word children. "You know the rules on the ship, you've broken several of them, and people were worried enough to call me instead of one of my guards. I have important matter to take care of, I don't have the time to be chasing after little kids who can't agree on a simple matter of a teachers' popularity. As of now you are all on house arrest, your parents have been contacted and will be here to pick you up shortly. Thomas, Maverick, keep and eye on them while I give the Chief Engineer a quick walk-through." The two humanoid, if not human, guards nodded, they had arrived earlier but didn't do anything until Fen had arrived. Now they took post near the group of depressed teens.

Bowen:
Kahaku snorted.  "It's not worth fighting over women.  Chances are you'll come out on top only to have her beat you so badly you wish you'd lost the first round with the guys."  Male limari might do most of the public work, but there was absolutely no mistaking the power balance, and Kahaku had seen the pattern repeated in quite a number of species and cultures.  He stashed the code information away.

Hanging back to let Fen do his job, Kahaku found himself working more to keep from laughing than anything else.  With his tail twitching with extreme amusement, he managed to keep a more or less straight face, and nodded politely to the guards.  Chief Engineer.  It might be his occupation these days, but that didn't make it sound any more like him!  Sounded like his boss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version