Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Making the Rounds(Atlas Crew)  (Read 1812 times)

Dreamwolf

Making the Rounds(Atlas Crew)
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:49 pm »
Fenrir rose from his bed as the alarm rang, telling him it was time to wake up. While shaving he checked the days list of tasks and trials. He needed to double check the security cameras in the loading dock, which had been acting up since a small collision with some micro meteorites. He also needed to do a systems check on the phase shields on deck E, the new software wasn't working right and a diagnostic would be needed. The only thing on the list that needed to be done soon was the Boarding Drill, to keep his little wolves in shape for pirate attacks. Not that the Atlas was a prime target for Pirates, it was far too large for most pirates to even think about trying.

Stepping out of his quarters in the command barracks, a place he preferred over the living quarter of the Colony Deck, he almost tripped on a small lad of about 10 years, the boy held a sponge in one hand and a pail of cleaner in the other.

"In trouble again Sorrel? What was it this time?" Fen was notorious for being a stern Chief but he was well liked by most of the crew and their families as he was never too had on the children.

"I pulled the boarding Alarm on Deck C." The boy mumbled it trying to hide his guilt. "I hafta clean all this hallway until it shines. The Captain said so." Fen left the boy to the cleaning and headed for engineering on Deck E. He was currently on Deck B, which was where most of the single officers stayed.

Bowen

Re: Making the Rounds(Atlas Crew)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »
Kahaku rubbed his face, trying to banish the last dregs of sleep, and grimaced as a loose scale pulled free and landed on the sink with a faint tap.  "Bloody air," he muttered.  "Space is all well and good, but I really need to get the water systems running better."  He scrunched his face about and examined his reflection.  The dark spot left by the missing scale as far too obvious, a fingertip-sized shadow below his left eye.  He sighed.  It'd be a few days at least until a new one grew in well enough to lessen the effect.

He tucked the scale into one of the pockets of his shirt as he left his quarters, stretching his long neck to try to sort out the kink near its base.  Soon as he was properly familiar with the Atlas, he was definitely focusing on the water systems.

Kahaku was so caught up in his innocent plottings that he nearly walked straight into someone.  One of the many people at least half a foot taller than he was.  Great.  He caught himself quickly, flaring his back fins and hooking his tail around the still-open doorway, and came to a sharp halt clear of - oh.  Security guy.  Name was......  Fenris?  Sounded about right.  "Morning," he said amiably.  "Anything blow up that I haven't heard about yet?"

Dreamwolf

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:30 pm »
((we don't really need a posting order if Alex_xr wants to join later it won't cause a problem.))

Fen's eye detected the incoming Chief Engineer before any collision might have occurred, however Fen took a moment to stop as his biometrics worked faster then his biological. He nodded politely as the Limnaris spoke. Chuckling he shook his head at the question.

"No but I wouldn't mind your opinion on these Phase Shields on Deck E. Seems the new software isn't compatible with the old hardware. And it Fenrir by the way, we weren't properly introduced when the captain signed you on. Just call me Fen, unless there's someone important around, the head honchos from Bluemoon prefer we stick to formal titles when they come aboard. Then it's Chief Fenrir." Pausing for a moment to let the other Chief answer he spoke again. "How are you settling in?"

Bowen

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:15:34 pm »
((Fair enough - the chances of everyone running into each other all at the same moment is pretty low anyway :) ))

"Good, good," Kahaku said easily.  "I'd rather get a bit more familiar with this gal before she pitches a fit."  Once sure of his stability, he uncoiled his tail and draped it lightly across his toes.  "The shields, huh?  Well, upgrades do like to be touchy; I'll see what I can do."  He reined his thoughts in before he could get to thinking about what was most likely to be the problem, how he could find out, and what he could do about it.

"Sure, Fen.  Kahaku s'evalta, but I only ever hear the last from people who either don't have a clue who I am or think it impresses the seriousness of the situation on me."  He rolled his bright eyes and flicked his jaw fins.  "Head honchos indeed!"  With a quick shake of his head, he switched subjects.  "Oh, I'm settling in quite well.  The scales are thinking there's room for improvement with the humidity, but that's hardly new.  How long have you been on the Atlas?"

Dreamwolf

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »
Fen nodded and smiled, he decided he liked the new Chief Engineer, whose personality seemed to be a bit eccentric but not as bad as some of the crew.

"The Humidity on the ship is a bit touchy, according to the last Cheif Engineer it might have something to do with the hydrocoils. If you want though I can show you how to customize the humidity in your cabin, I've set mine for about 35 percent humidity." Fen stopped and looked up, tapping his left fingers on this thigh, the joints letting out tiny, almost inaudible clicks as the gears moved. "Come to think of it, the water filtration system was acting up about a week before you signed on. I'm told your race is considered semi-aquatic. Do you want to go take a look at the system?"

Bowen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:49 pm »
"Shipboard humidity's always low for my tastes," Kahaku said drily, "but I've gotten pretty good at rigging the systems to run better than they were intended."  He gestured behind him towards his cabin with his tail.  "I haven't had the chance to convince it to go about fifty percent yet."  Despite the difficulties, he simply shrugged.  "I'm usually pretty good with dry air so long as I can keep my scales properly hydrated - tends to be the bigger issue, to be entirely honest.  Soaking takes more water than a little misting of the air."

"Acting up, huh?  I'll add that to the list of things to get to first.  You were concerned about the shields, though, and so long as the filtration is getting by for the moment, I'd say that getting the shields running properly would be a higher priority?"  He left it as a question; he could survive without much water for a while - had before and would again - but faulty shields didn't only open the ship up to attacks but to loose debris, which could cause almost as much damage.

Dreamwolf

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »
"The shields in question are containment shields to prevent pirates or other uninvited guests from getting too far, I worked on the design along with the engineers back in the space port, then they came out with a new software program for it. And to answer your question from before, I've been working on the Atlas since I was fifteen, so for the last eight years, I started out as lowly guard but got promoted two years ago." Fen didn't mention that the reason for his promotion was the same as the reason for his biometrics.

His artificial hand clicked along his thigh in a habitual tic indicating he was thinking. A buzzing on the ship-comm made him stop.

"Chief Fenrir, please report to Deck D for a class 3 altercation at the Hydragon." The message was repeated twice more.

"Deck D is the entertainment deck, would you mind coming along? The shields aren't a top priority, but there's a nice water park where you can moisten up your scales the Hydragon is our best feature on the water park, it's essentially a water canon that shoots you out into a pool at high speed."

Bowen

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:38 pm »
Kahaku nodded; his specialty and preference might be water systems, but engineers had to deal with shields - and everything else that made up the ship.  "I take that to imply that this ship is worth sticking around on?" he offered cheerfully.  It was nice to know that there were younger chiefs of staff on board, and Fen had already been in his position for a while.

His jaw and spin fins flared the moment he heard the word 'entertainment.'  He'd heard a bit of the Atlas' amenities, but Deck D he had yet to see.  "Mind?  I'd love to!" he replied quickly.  Fen's description - WATER PARK! - only stretched his fins wider and set the tip of his tail to rippling against the floor.  "Class three altercation?  Particularly serious?"  Different ships used different codes; he'd have to pick up the Atlas' particular jargon shortly.

Dreamwolf

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »
Fen nodded. "Class three altercation isn't too bad, it means more than three people are involved but fewer than six, if they had added a code blue to that it would mean physical violence. So its just a bunch of people arguing and getting all worked up over some trivial matter. It's probably a bunch of teenagers fighting over a girl or something."

Fen took the lift to Deck D with Kahaku, arriving on scene to a group of five teenagers surrounded by a larger group of adults. Fen stepped up and everyone fell silent except for those arguing over what turned out to be which teacher at the school was better.

"Unless you all want to be scrubbing C Deck for the next six days I suggest shutting up." Fen had put on his work voice, the voice that commanded attention and respect. "This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time, children." He emphasized the word children. "You know the rules on the ship, you've broken several of them, and people were worried enough to call me instead of one of my guards. I have important matter to take care of, I don't have the time to be chasing after little kids who can't agree on a simple matter of a teachers' popularity. As of now you are all on house arrest, your parents have been contacted and will be here to pick you up shortly. Thomas, Maverick, keep and eye on them while I give the Chief Engineer a quick walk-through." The two humanoid, if not human, guards nodded, they had arrived earlier but didn't do anything until Fen had arrived. Now they took post near the group of depressed teens.

Bowen

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
Kahaku snorted.  "It's not worth fighting over women.  Chances are you'll come out on top only to have her beat you so badly you wish you'd lost the first round with the guys."  Male limari might do most of the public work, but there was absolutely no mistaking the power balance, and Kahaku had seen the pattern repeated in quite a number of species and cultures.  He stashed the code information away.

Hanging back to let Fen do his job, Kahaku found himself working more to keep from laughing than anything else.  With his tail twitching with extreme amusement, he managed to keep a more or less straight face, and nodded politely to the guards.  Chief Engineer.  It might be his occupation these days, but that didn't make it sound any more like him!  Sounded like his boss.

Dreamwolf

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »
Fen walked back towards Kahaku. "I tell you I see them acting like that at that age I want to throttle them. I was already sure of my work and my goals by that point." He almost laughed and manage to hold it until they were further away, already parents were showing up to pick up their unruly children.

"They don't mean any harm by it, but I can't let them see me laughing about it. If you ever have a problem with someone, just let me know, especially the children, for whatever reason the younger ones look up to me like I'm some kind of god." He actually smiled at that. "Here let me introduce you to Jen." Fen waved to a woman in a blue shirt with a picture of a dragon shooting a blast of water from its mouth.

"Jen, meet Kahaku, he's our new Chief Engineer and Limnari to boot. I'm sure you'll see a lot of him. Kahaku, Jen spent three year on your home planet studying Hydrology, she designed the Hydragon."

Bowen

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »
"I know what you mean, but not everyone gets things sorted out early.  Then again, all I knew at that age was that I wanted to go where the good video games were."  He laughed.  "Seems to be working pretty well for me, though, so to each their own."

"All right," Kahaku agreed easily.  Meeting people was hardly a bad thing.  "And I will, if I have a problem.  I'm usually pretty good about taking care of myself, though," he added lightly before nodding politely to the woman.  His spine fin rose in surprise at the mention of where she had studied.  "On Noltai?  Well, fancy our paths crossing here!  It certainly sounds like you're putting your knowledge to good use."

Dreamwolf

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:46 am »
Fen chuckled and stepped back so the two could talk.

Jen was a petite woman, only five feet tall total, and her head a crown of copper tangles, despite the fact she brushed it constantly and tied it into a ponytail. She smiled at Kahaku.

"I wanted to study where water was pure and clean, and your planet is known for its crystalline waters, it took me a year just to find someone who could lead me to see the best places. Bluemoon sponsored me and I signed on to the Atlas to use my knowledge. The Hydragon is my baby, designed with the Limnari in mind." She pointed to the over-sized waterslide's beginning, a large chamber half filled with water. The whole thing was clear so you could watch the people inside get launched. "The biggest problem we have is some people can't handle the speed and get sick, but the nanites take care of that. Their programing and function acts like the bacteria and phyto plankton on your world, in fact we use them in our water filtration for the entire water park. the water here is so clean that it has a one to one billion particle ratio, not counting the nanites."

((Particle Ratios in the water is how many parts of debris over a number of parts water. I learned this while studying aqua-scapes  for my landscape career))

Bowen

Re: Making the Rounds (Atlas Crew)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
"Noltai certainly has water!  Where were you, tropical or temperate?"  There hadn't been any off-worlders around while he was studying, but his university had hardly been the only temperate one.  It had simply been the closest to where he grew up and lived.

"I take it you've been to the freshwater reefs down south, then?"  They were easily the most famous natural structure on the planet, being enormous and vividly coloured - but, unlike most worlds, limited to fresh rather than saltwater.  Kahaku had visited them only once, and only briefly, but there was no forgetting the vivacity and energy of those convoluted communities.

"I think I saw a mention of that while I was skimming over the filtration systems," he said absently, trying to remember.  "At least one of the purification tanks."  He shrugged, dismissing the matter for the time being.  "Can't take the speed, huh?  Just how fast does it get you going?"  He wasn't leaning towards an experimental trial, no, not at aaaalllll.

(1ppb is pretty clear water :P ))

Dreamwolf

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 05:50:57 am »
((the power of nano tech xp the cleanest water ive had came from a spring in northern Maine, the ratio was 1-1mil, all natural straight from the spring

Jen smiled. "Temperate and yes I did see the reefs, we have some in our aquarium on the other side of the water park, it took Bluemoon age to get ome but they are beautiful, and very lively with the fish we have in there. If you ask the cooks on C deck they can prepare you some food from your own planet., we carry stocks of Noltai native fish and plants, for people who enjoy exotic foods." Jen stretched. "Water park open all the time, only close once every thirty days to do diagnostics on the filtration system. And the fastest speed record is held by Frick, the Aridani, another water world. He went at 500 feet per second, and almost turned himself inside out when he hit the water."

Bowen

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 06:22:17 am »
((I haven't the slightest clue what the rating would be for the water I'm used to, but most of the water in northern BC's pretty clean; there just isn't time for much contamination before it falls off a mountain :P ))

Kahaku's whiskers drifted upwards with curiosity.  "You were temperate?  Really?  I don't suppose you ever passed through Port Selari?  It's not all that spectacular, but it gets the job done."  And he'd have to stop by the aquarium.  This gig was just looking better and better.  And then Jen kind of blew his mind, and he stared at her for a moment, slack-finned.  "Five hundred."  He repeated.  "Per second."  He sighed.  Hitting water at that speed would almost certainly kill him.  Traveling through water that fast would be fine, but a surface got pretty darn unaccommodating after a while.  "I guess I should just give up on setting a new one now, then."  Didn't mean he couldn't enjoy it, though, and enjoy it he intended to do.

Dreamwolf

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:47 am »
"The Aridani have a thicker ind of scale and are used to deep ocean depths so Frick and his species would be the only one able to handle the pressure. To be honest it' best when you hit the water at 200 feet per second, if you hit just right you skip over the surface. We have fail safe that prevent people from going too fast, so your speed depends on your structure, but 200 is the default setting. I have to get back to work, these kids'll drive me nuts if they don't get their adrenaline fix." Jen nodded politely to Fen, whop stepped forward.

"How about we get some breakfast, then we can go over my programing issues. I'm hoping it don't have to fiddle with the hardware, which is pretty sensitive sometimes." Fen nodded his head in the direction of a small food court with four or five different planetary menus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal