Ships > Sassy Juice

If I Can't Take My Coffee Break (Rhi!)

(1/8) > >>

Katie:
The thing about instant coffee was that, while it was crap, it was fast crap. And cheap crap. And it had just as much caffeine as the good stuff, and it kept for longer. Which was why Alia put up with it. That and her paycheck. Sure, it was good--the wonders of a steady job--but the thing about living on a space station was that real coffee beans tended to set you back...a lot. Even with the hydroponics system, on account of the public one being for essential things. Stuff like coffee or sugar grown on-Cancer was all grown on private 'ponics, and given the cost of maintaining those was through the theoretical atmosphere, the problem was pretty clear.

It was a specialized market, and pirate pilots weren't exactly the target demographic, yeah?

So Alia drank instant coffee, and didn't bitch about it. Much. She stirred it til the powder mixed with the water completely, then stirred it again for good measure, then took a sip. Carefully. She'd already scratched two cups (always such fun to explain).  She heard a noise in the door and turned, one hand going to her hip out of habit even though it was early enough that the Sassy was still locked up. But it was just Ari.

"Morning," she said, raising the cup in his general direction. "For a given definition of the word."

Rhi-Rhi:
Trudging groggily into the kitchen, Ari paused at the sound of Alia's voice and raised his head, blinked a couple times as he peered at her through messy bed-hair. He was always slow to wake, never one of those people that hopped out of bed all sunshine and perkiness. The perkiness came after caffeine and a shower, generally in that order. Clothes followed. But since he'd had neither, Alia was greeted with the full force of his sluggishness and current state of undress, which involved boxers and nothing else.

"Mm. Mornin', sweetheart," he said with a floppy wave, and shuffled the rest of the way in, squinting in the artificial light. He took a seat at the table, sank his head into his hand for a moment and pondered passing out again, but finally forced himself to sit upright, face the light, and take it like a bloody man.

"That coffee?" he said, making a vague motion at her cup. "Wanna be a doll and grab me some, there?"

Katie:
[Oops guess who just saw this.]

"Normally I'd say get your own, but since you can't manage pants yet I'm not trusting you with anything hot." She'd gotten used to this kind of thing a long time ago--being stuck on a ship together meant you saw most of your fellow crew members in various states of undress eventually, and she'd been on a lot of ships. She'd also gotten used to the pet names. Sort of.

Alia made another cup (and wished for a coffeemaker, but the stuff that went through those was more expensive than the powder kind) and handed to Ari. "Drink up and become people again. You know what they say you're supposed to do about zombies."

Rhi-Rhi:
[Aww! xD It's all good! <333]

Ari grinned, pressed fingers to his temple, and mimed shooting himself in the head. "Right? Heh, no worries, darlin'. I ain't the brain-eatin' type. I like nibblin' the bits ya can reach with a little clothes shufflin' and no skull crackin'."

With a wink her way, he accepted the coffee, took one long sip, and winced as he burned his tongue. "Ow, shit."

Katie:
Alia rolled her eyes. She was used to that, too--not that it made it any funnier.

"Careful," she said mildly, trying and failing to repress a smile. "It's still hot."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version