Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Care for a Drink? (Jenny)  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Nix

Care for a Drink? (Jenny)
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »
The Red District of the Cancer was a maze of shady little shops, whole in the wall eateries, and piss hole bars, among other things. The Piss Hole was one of these bars, named for exactly what it was. It was also one of the best bars on the Cancer, with quite the reputation. Well, most of the reputation surrounded the bartender/owner. Maygen was no kid and he had this cool confident swagger about him. People who didn't know better figured he was just some cocky bartender, but any real resident of the Cancer knew that Gen was someone you did not want to piss off. Besides he was a great ally and a great source of information.

The bar had just opened for the evening and Gen was restocking a few bottles. None of the normal bar flies had filtered in yet, but that was fine. It was quiet, well as quiet as any place in the Red District, and that was kind of nice. The place was small with a circular bar in the center. There were round tables and chairs on both sides of the bar, the back of the place being darker and a bit shadier than the front and the area around the bar itself. It was a hole in the wall, but it was sought out. Partially for Maygen's delicious drinks and partially for Maygen's information and council.

Gen flipped his long braid over his shoulder and wiped his hands on his tight black pants. His white shirt already had some water on it from wiping down the counter tops.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Jenny

Re: Care for a Drink? (Jenny)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »
When he'd taken the job, Jaxon hadn't anticipated how long his voyage on the White Thunder would be. Generally, the ship was employed for carrying cargo by small business or contractors; they spent much of their time passing between planets, occasionally stopping at stations like Libra. It was a drop off here, a pick up there, and resting and paperwork in between. It hadn't been very exciting, but a few interesting things had happened, and most importantly, Jaxon returned to Cancer with his pockets full.

Back in the Red District, his first stop after dropping off his things was to the Piss Hole. The not-so-eloquently-named bar was quite well known and a common hangout, especially for Jaxon's closest friends. One of them was the main bartender of the Piss Hole. In other words, if he ever wanted to see anyone who was anyone, the place to be was there.

Jaxon was surprised, though, when he arrived, to find that the place was relatively quiet. Business came and went, that was natural, but he had been hoping to catch up with more friends before picking up his next job. It was enough that Maygen was around, though. Maygen was almost always easy to find- after all, he made a career of being a confidant. If he wasn't around, he wouldn't get his business.

"Gen!" he called out, striding to the bar table and taking a seat across from his old friend. "I just got back in. How have you been?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »
Gen grinned when he saw the horned little devil stride into the bar. He'd known the kid for a good few years, and he and his friends were as close as Gen would ever have to family. The older larger man came out from behind the bar and gave Jax a quick manly pat-on-the-back type hug before ruffling the kid's hair. "Fang you little bitch!" Gen grinned fondly. "Ahhh you know me. Same shit different day. Keeping this sardine can on a liquid lunch." Of course the man did a lot more than that.

"How'd you like traversing the stars kiddo?" Gen asked as he took his place behind the bar again and started to fix the other a drink. He didn't have to be told, he knew what Jax liked. "My little Fangy is all grown up now... what am I supposed to do?" He asked sarcastically with a pleased-as-punch shit-eating grin plastered on his face.

Jenny

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »
Jaxon laughed, getting up from his usual seat to return the hug he knew was coming. Even the hair ruffle and loud, obnoxious insult. It was entirely predictable from Maygen. Gen was, as his old gang had been, like a big brother to him-- He knew him better than he knew himself. Returning to the stool, Jaxon raked his hand through his hair and patted it down, putting it back in place as he listened to Gen speak. He laughed at the 'same shit, different day' comment. That was life on the Red District for you- though full of crime, plenty of it was unexciting and sometimes even predictable.

"There are few things as emasculating as having a 'y' placed on the end of your name..." Jaxon commented, shaking his head as he laughed. He didn't actually care if they called him Fangy, or anything really. He knew it was all in good nature. "Listen, dad," he said jokingly, "You're going to have to let go some time. I'm a grown man!" he exclaimed in his best faux-indignant-teenager tone.

"Honestly, it was good. It was a long job, but the pay out was good." Jaxon took the drink which Gen prepared for him, not surprised to see that it was, in fact, his favorite and his usual. He took a sip. "It was a cargo ship.. Very.. Safe." He shrugged. Unlike most times when he found himself at the Piss Hole between jobs, there was nothing to brag about now. No gun fights, no taking space ships down and stealing.. Just good old hard work. But he knew Gen would appreciate that.

Offline Nix

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
"I actually emasculated you Fangy darling?" He quipped back playfully. He was glad that Fang had stopped back at home and that he was safe. It was a relief to hear that Fang was working on the legal side of things for a bit. It wasn't good to be forced into illegal work because you can't do anything else.

Gen was never one to condemn someone for dealing in the shadier side of things. There were plenty of things he dealt with that were not quite 'legal' and then of course there were things he had done that were absolutely illegal. Still he liked to make sure the kids from his buddy's former gang were safe and well. Fang especially. Maygen was a collector and protector of broken people, but Fang was really growing up. "Hey, safe and good pay is nothing to scoff at Fang." Gen said as he busied himself with drying glasses. "You want to work on a pirate ship or somethin' now?" He asked already figured the kid would want to find a long term position with a pirate crew.

"Listen... it might be boring, but working on cargo ships is good money. Besides, you won't get arrested and thrown in a cell or worse for doing it." He said seriously, giving the kid a look over. He really had grown up hadn't he? Fang was pretty good looking now too, but the only people that Gen would never hit on were the kids from the gang. He cracked a smile again and poured himself some whiskey before taking a sip. "You know if you want me to be your daddy I will be." Well, not hit on, but he could tease the kid a bit.

Jenny

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »
Jaxon nodded at Gen's serious words about 'good and safe work' as he called it. He knew there was nothing wrong with it, per se, but that wasn't to say that he felt it was right for him. Jaxon hated having time to himself; to think, and in dull cargo work, there was a lot of that. No excitement, just sitting around waiting, traveling, and then unloading and doing business. When he wasn't occupied, sometimes his mind ran away with him, if he let it, and he easily grew moody and miserable when he thought about his past too much. Losing his memory was never something he had been able to move on from, entirely, at least. Which was understandable, because he still couldn't remember many, many things. Yet at the same time, he was purposely trying not to remember. He was caught in a strange, uncomfortable place when it came to that subject.

"You won't like it, but I think I'm joining a crew full-time.. And it won't be a cargo ship, either," he admitted. He had been looking at a listing for 'Sassy Juice' outside the bar before he came in, and it sounded like what he wanted. Though, he would have to meet the captain before he made any decisions.

At the daddy quip, Jaxon let out a loud laugh. "Like, a sugar daddy?" he pressed, laughing again. He took a sip of his drink and put it down. "I think I can take care of myself without whoring out," he added.

Offline Nix

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
"Hey, I never said anything about 'whoring', even I have some morals." The all bartender said shifting his weight and bulking frame from one foot to the other. "I mean if you get into trouble just let me know." Gen knew about Fang's memory loss... he knew the kid wanted to keep busy and not think too much. Gen was more concerned about what would happen when everything caught up with the kid. He liked Fang and he didn't want to see the kid upset, in trouble or hurt. Not again.

Maygen took another swig of his whiskey before looking Jax square in the eye. "You're thinking of joining the Sassy Juice's crew aintcha?"

Jenny

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:46 am »
Jaxon laughed, shrugging his shoulders. "Morals, shmorals," he joked, reaching for his glass and taking a swig. He swallowed down the strong liquor and licked his lips. It felt good to be back on Cancer, back in the bar with a good friend. There was something nice about going on adventures, seeing new things, being in and out of trouble and danger, but then, there was nothing like home. And nothing like a good drink. The only city he'd ever been in that had drinks half as good as the Red District was Haviah, but that place had its own problems and it was a ways off.. Government was strict as hell too, with their nose in everything. If it was up to him, he'd always come to the Red District to get a good drink.

Halfway lost in his thoughts, Jaxon snapped out of it when Gen mentioned Sassy Juice. He looked up with surprise. "Developing mindreading powers, are you!?" he exclaimed with a laugh. "How the hell did you figure that one out? Yes, I am. They're looking for a gunner."

Offline Nix

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:13 am »
"You think a crew stops off at the Cancer looking to recruit and I don't know about it? Besides... they put up a flyer outside my bar." Gen grinned. "I've seen their captain around... he's got white hair with more colors running through it than a fucking rainbow. Not too bad looking either. From what I know he's a pirate through and through, out for himself and lacking a filter." The words felt a bit strange coming from Maygen's mouth... when he was younger he was the same way. He used to think that giving a damn about anyone else was a liability and would get you killed. Now there were a hand full of people he'd go all out for. Fang was one of them, whether the kid knew it or not.

"Listen, I'm not gunna talk you out of it, but just take care of yourself ya hear me? Loyalty among pirates isn't always like loyalty among gang members... sometimes its thin and frayed, about to snap at any second." Gen finished off his whiskey and poured himself another. "That and never challenge a Dimuroite to a drinking contest are the best pieces of advice I got." He grinned trying to lighten the mood again.

"So! You said the work on the White Thunder was boring but what about the play time? Get any sweet ass?"

Jenny

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »
Hearing Maygen's quick reasoning, Jaxon laughed and nodded- he probably should have known better than to ask. After all, Gen always knew who was around and more importantly what they were up to. If a ship landed in Cancer, Gen made it his business. From how it seemed, he probably had a mental catalog of every person in the Red District right now, complete with their main gig, favorite poison, and weakest link. Maygen was the main informant of the area, so Jaxon wasn't surprised when he got a description of the captain, complete with attractiveness rating. How useful, Jaxon thought, resisting the urge to roll his eyes and tease Gen for only thinking of one thing, but here came the good part- personality synopsis.

The captain sounded like a bit of an asshole, but Jaxon was going to reserve judgment until he met the man. Not that he didn't trust Maygen, he just wanted to make his own observations. The comment about pirate crews made struck a chord- Jaxon had noticed that recently, seeing how the White Thunder had lost so many crew members and few had been there longer than a year. "I gotcha," he replied; he knew Gen was right.

Jaxon wanted to pursue the subject of Sassy Juice, but Maygen had a 'better' question. 'Get any sweet ass?' Jaxon snorted, shaking his head. "You really only have one thing on your mind, huh?" he asked, finishing his drink in one gulp. "I didn't get anything," he answered, pushing the glass across the bar in a gesture that could only mean 'refill'. Jaxon reflected on his trip. He had only met a handful of people, excluding the crew, and the only one with any significance was Toori. He hadn't really been in the mood for fooling around over the course of the voyage... Jaxon was fickle like that. He could go weeks or months without it if he got in a mood.

"I just met this kid in Tynova," Jaxon started, pushing his bangs out of his face as he yawned. He was tired as hell, and his hair was messy- he looked scruffy, which was funny since he usually looked put together. "He was.. interesting. I don't know a whole lot about mechanics, but it was obvious he was one of those.. very talented types, or whatever. He wants to join a crew."

Offline Nix

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
"If he wants to join a crew what's he doing in Tynova?" Gen scoffed as he fixed Jax another drink. Sure there were plenty of opportunities to join a crew there, but people were usually more impressed with credentials then actual work. In Maygen's opinion the only good place to find crew work was the Cancer. "He should come here if he wants to join a crew." Gen put the drink in front of the kid and took a swig of his own.

"Honestly he could have bartered passage on the White Thunder and shacked up with you I'm sure. I'm assuming this kid is pretty since yer obviously interested." Gen grinned. He knew simply by the nonchalance in Jax's attitude.

Jenny

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »
Jaxon shrugged in reply to Gen's question, not wanting to get into too much detail about Toori's reasons. It wasn't his story to be sharing, and it would be easier to just say that he wasn't sure in that case. He took the refilled glass and raised it again to his lips, about to take a drink. He stopped as soon as Gen mentioned the words 'pretty' and 'obviously interested'. He put the glass down, "I am not interested," he corrected indignantly, shaking his head at the idea. He wasn't interested in Toori, there was no way. They were just a bit more than acquaintances. That never stopped you before, he started to think.

He shook his head again, shaking off that thought. "Not. Interested." he repeated. He was too tired to present a thorough argument for his case, though. "We're just friends," Jaxon settled on saying.

Offline Nix

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »
"Uh-huh. That's why I asked if you got any and you bring up this kid." Gen pointed out. "You get his communicator number?" He already knew the answer but had to ask anyway. He could tell that Fang looked tired and run down but had to tease him a bit. "You got a cute little piece in Tynova... I'm surprised you haven't been checking your communicator every two seconds." Gen grinned leaning over the bar to pat Fang on the shoulder.

Jenny

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:36:00 pm »
Jaxon bristled at the fantastic use of logic on Maygen's part. There was no arguing with the accusation- he had done just that- Brought up Toori after being asked if he had gotten any. Guilty as charged. Though there had been an actual thought process between the 'no' and the 'I met someone'.. It just didn't sound very good and he probably wasn't going to have any luck trying to weasel his way out of this one. And answering Gen's next question was nothing more than digging his own grave. "Yes, we've bee-- You know what? Forget it," he moped, dropping his head on the bar and hiding his face. This was so embarrassing, and he did everything in his power not to think about Toori the way Gen seemed to assume he did. "You know I don't date, Gen," he added.

Offline Nix

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
"Yeah kiddo I know... but you could use a little girlfriend, you don't have to get too serious about it." Gen used the term 'girlfriend' even though the 'girlfriend' could be any gender, species or what have you. "You worry too much for such a 'care free' guy Fang."

He took another swig of his drink and frowned as the kid laid his head down of the bar. "I'll lay off for now hot stuff. I could tell you about my numerous conquests if you want." Gen chuckled.

Jenny

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »
Jaxon only makes a low whining sound in response to Maygen, his sense of conversation and argumentative skills completely coming apart. How could a guy like him, with all his problems, with all that he was, ever be with someone in a way that wasn't serious? He wasn't a simple person. He needed someone who understood him, if anyone, and hell, he never thought he really needed anyone at all-- in that way.

Hearing Maygen mention his 'numerous conquests', Jaxon burst out laughing. He lifted his head and took a sip of his drink. "Numerous conquests. Old man, you should not be 'conquesting'. You should be settling down," he teased.

Offline Nix

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:48 pm »
"I'll settle down when I meet the right person... but you know, you aren't the only guy who is worried about sharing their baggage with an intimate partner." Gen had his share of problems and past filled with terrible things... some of which he had done, so there was guilt on top of everything. There were things he could never tell Fang.

"I am old, living out my last glory days with all those conquests... you're young and can find something great still." Gen scratched his stubbled chin and grinned. "Ahhh... I get it, you just want me to 'settle down' because you want a mommy..." Maygen laughed, his big muscular frame shaking a bit as he did. "And here I just wanted you to be happy... such a naughty boy with ulterior motives."

Jenny

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
"Hey," Jaxon objected playfully to being told he had ulterior motives, "I just want you to be happy too! When was the last time you even had a conquest, Gramps?" he probed, sipping at the drink in front of him. It was nearly done but he figured he probably shouldn't have anymore- liquor tended to make him sleepy, and he already was exhausted. It had been a long trip back home and he hadn't gotten much rest.

Offline Nix

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:32 pm »
"Oh so now I'm gramps eh? And for your information Fangy-baby, my most recent conquest was two nights ago. I had a friend stay over." The 'old man' grinned. "Should I let you go to bed kiddo? You look worn out from your trip... you probably wanna kick back take it easy and message your cute girlfriend." He finished off his own second drink and then washed the glass.

Jenny

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
Jaxon laughed at the way Gen described his 'conquests' (That word was enough to make him start laughing all over again), acting like he was truly a child-- "I had a friend stay over". He let out a snort before nursing his drink to its finish. "Don't worry about it, I'll drag myself to bed eventually," he said, shrugging. "I wanna catch up with all of you first. I'm sure the gang will be around sometime soon."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal