Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: All The Stars In Between  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Draconian

Re: All The Stars Inbetween
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:26 am »
Cordelia didn't know how to explain that she usually sought out some middle man to sell her junk for her. Pay him some, she got some and she'd never have to set foot on a station or a planet. Now though. Cordelia looked to Mars when he came back with better clothing. 'Clothing'.

Slipping from the chair she changed right there, peeling the rags off and brushing at her skin. Cordelia was a washed out colour, like a nice tan would look perfect on her but all the years without real sunshine sapped it out of her. Standing naked for a moment, she looked down at herself.

The seams where real met fake.

Cordelia got lost in it for a moment. Her legs were the most obvious, mechanical limbs graphed onto thigh bone. Skin encouraged to grow to the knee. It was strange and skeletal, the feet delicate looking but clearly metal. Her arm though, the only thing that gave that away was a thin seam around the shoulder. 

The skin matched. The hands matched.

The only thing the fake hand couldn't do as well as the real one was touch. It never felt right. Never had.

Cordelia flexed her fingers, listenjng for some fake whirr.

Still naked, she looked to Mars and tried to smile. "I woke up on a Space station," her voice was soft, "I had this arm. But my legs were real. I sold them," she said, lifting her head, " for the bones and... for the meat. The metal ones were complimentary," she wiggled her fake foot at him.

"Bought my ship," Cordelia bent down to grab the suit, tugging it on. It hugged her like a second skin and she plucked at it until it felt comfortable, fixed her long black hair and tied it into a messy bun on her head. "I... Stations have never had good things in them for me." She whispered, glancing at her companion, "but I'll do my best. For you."

Offline Lion

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:52 pm »
Seeing her exposed as she was, made Mars' eybrows raise and he observed her with interest.  The odd assymetry of flesh to metal ratio was surely intriguing  and he waited quietly, watching her as a cat might a mouse as it played unknowingly within its presence.

His eyes were nearly neon as the ship was coming into the dock, nothing more than the soft highlights of that cockpit chamber. The ship on auto could do all the work necessary to land, and despite whatever disdain she seemed to have for herself, Mars' expression was nothing short of taken.

"You're beautiful," he found himself breathing out slowly.  His smile was small, appreciative and he moved closer to her, reaching a hand out to take hers. "Okay. I'll accept that. Seeing as we both woke up in weird places, all alone. Well almost."

Mars squeezed her metal hand and shifted when the call from the docking administration called on their com.

"Welcome to Station Cancer. State your name, your occupation, and reason for your visit please."

Mars crossed toward it and pressed the button. "Mars and Cordelia Winter. Married. Cargo transporters looking to sell some wares."  His pulse rate increased as he awaited the response and he zipped up the suit closer to his chin.

After a few minutes of waiting, "Clearance. Granted. Proceed. And again welcome to Station Cancer."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »
Cordelia had always been afraid that someone was chasing her. Trying to find her. Trying to put her back to sleep and into that vat. Harvest her body parts to sell. Her hand smoothed over her breasts in the suit, it left little to the imagination despite its thick sturdy make and she took a moment to process Mars's compliment.

Was she?

Looking down at her hands, she pressed her palms together and intertwined her fingers while she waited for them to be allowed to dock. Heart in her throat.

Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch and she moved closer to Mars. Frowning at his eyes. Were they always so bright?

Cordelia took his chin in her hand - her real hand- and turned his head towards her.

"Mars. Are you okay?  We can stay on the ship tonight and venture out tomorrow. Get to process all this," her voice was small and she looked to the com. Hating rhat they were on a station.

Offline Lion

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »
The hesitation, the fear, the worry, was clearly evident in her gaze. And the moment they met his, Mars kept their eyes connected, and he reached out to her psyche. He projected calm, outward warmth and although she touched his chin, his hands fell to her face, real-fleshy hands that were cool to the touch, and had little thrummings of warmth just underneath his palms.

He tuned into her pulse and pressed his will to her. "We can't stay here. I won't stay here. And I know you're scared. Fear is perfectly natural. It helps you survive. But if we stay on this ship, what will we do? I need to find out what happened to me.  What....happened to my crew," he murmured to her.

He leaned in and pressed thin lips to her brow.  "Come with me, Cordelia. I trust you enough. I hope you trust me enough. I know the risks you're taking simply by being here. But I will not force you. Come as you will. Or stay. That is your choice."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
The eye contact felt intense. Cordelia stared at him and unwillingly calmed down. Her pulse slowed and she let her eyes drift closed after a moment. The world melted away. Everything was calm and serene and good.  What would they do on the ship?

Die.

"Okay," she whispered and didn't recoil when he pressed his lips to her forehead. Also comforting. "Okay," she looked up at him and squeezed his forarms with her hands, "I'll go with you. We'll sell all this and... and then we can trt to find out what happened to you and your ship." Her hand moved to his cheeks and she took a deep breath before glancing around. It was hard to pull away but she did and fixed her outfit, finger combing her hair while she jazzed herself up.

"Okay. Let's go," she took mars's hand and led him along to the airlock, "ready? Look tough," she teased softly, hand on his arm, trembling slightly while she tried to ready herself for the station. "Will you hold my hand?"

Offline Lion

Re: All The Stars In Between
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2017, 04:38:10 pm »
Mars pulled back long enough to meet her gaze still and when at last she acquiesced to going with him. The touch on his forearms left an odd tingle, a residue of energy rather unexpected. It startled Mars, and he felt his stomach tilt. Odd.  He shook himself as the comm called out for them to depart from the ship so they could meet with the attendant there.

Mars gave no answer to her request. His hand slipped easily into hers and he tugged her along toward the airlock panel that descended for the pair and opened up to the space station cancer. Mars...had never seen so many lights, so much going on, so much happening at once when they made it too the attendant that took down their names and the credentials on the ship.

"Welcome to the Station," the young man said and walked away from them as Mars glanced back at the ship, as the door closed and leaving the pair of them standing in the middle of that hanger.

"Wow...I...I've never seen anything like this..  In well, for a few damn decades. Are all human settlements like this?" he asked, practically breathless. "I...I don't even know where to start.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2017, 01:07:44 am »
Cordelia didn't let go of mars's hand.

In fact her hand tightened around his and she slowly curled her arm around it. Pulling herself to his arm and pressing her cheek to his bicep. Sure he was scared. Cordelia felt her pulse pick up and she watched and looked around.

"No?" She said softly, finding everything too big. There were a few. She'd been to fewer. "There's another space station. This is... The..." Cordelia shrugged and nuzzled at his arm for a moment, eyes closed. Time to pretend.

Cordelia took a breath and stepped away.

Back straight and chin up. "Do... Are you any good at ... negotiating?" Her voice was soft, "and do you want to find somewhere to stay now? I... Can probably barter something."

Offline Lion

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »
Fear surely had it's uses. It was a fairly firm reminder to keep yourself alive and out of harm's way. And in many other ways, it was a trap, stifling you and chaining you in place to keep you from venturing forth into a new and different experience. Mars was afraid, yes, but his fear could not hold him in place. There was far too much at stake now to remain stagnant. He could feel Vex...

He had to find him.

"I can negotiate if I must," he said and squeezed her hand. "It's just all so...new, different. But we can't hide. We already decided that, yes. We're in this together. And the moment we turn back, we're already doomed. So.. One step at a time."

Mars watched other people pass by, strangers the lot of them and he could vaguely sense their thoughts, the jumble of words and phrases that made no sense and all seemed to meld together in a garbled language he couldn't understand. He blocked them out, took in a deep breath and ventured forward into the first shop they saw on the right.

There was a good deal of junk along the side, electronic parts, junked plasma cutters, and a one armed robot dusting the shelves to the wall. Mars had no idea why he walked in here. But once they were inside, the robot turned to them and greeted them with a vaguely human smile. "Hey there. How can I help you guys?"

Offline Draconian

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »
Cordelia followed quietly.

Weary.

Inside her ship, the sound of her Not Feet hitting the floor was comforting. The way her metal feet echoed through the small hull. The fact it echo'd. Sure she was alone but she was alone and felt safe. Here... There were too many people and she looked over her shoulder constantly, like she was waiting to get stabbed between the ribs.

It was fine. Everything would be fine. She'd left from one of these places years ago. Sure she usually sold to a middle man but... It would be fine.

"We... Have cargo to sell," she said, stepping forward and putting her hands on her hips, leg out. Cordelia frowned at the robot, "Who do we talk to?" She finally said softly, looking a little weary. Eyeing the lack of arm. A glance to Mars and Cordelia put her hand on the counter - her fake hand. "Well, cargo and a ship. Discount if they all go at once," Her voice was stern and she did her best to look intimidating.

Offline Lion

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:24 am »
"Yeah, to sell." All their stuff. Well, borrowed stuff. It wasn't theirs to begin with and Mars had a feeling it wasn't the pirates' either. Nothing that large was earned honestly, and all the cargo inside was probably stolen. It was better they cut ties with all of that. They'd find another ship. Another, better one that could get them out to the stars should it come to that.

"All righty, sounds good. Name's Robo. I know I know. I've heard it all before. That's what Thatcher calls me, and it's easy to remember. Let me get her fer ya. This is her store after all," the robot said, and shuffled around the counter toward the back door of the shop, shouting for customer service.

"We're...we're selling the ship?" Mars whispered to Cordy. "I know it's not ours, but is that wise?"

Just in case.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 09:07:55 pm »
Is that wise?

Cordelia frowned up at Mars, looking at him, eyebrows drawn together with a confused look on her face. "What else are we going to do with it?" She whispered, hand on his arm before looking at the robot yelling for the owner. "Are we going to abandon it?" Panic bubbled up Cordelia's throat and she looked at her meaty hand before flexing her fingers and looking back at Mars.

"We were gonna sell it, sell the cargo buy a small ship, supplies and go. Remember? If we abandon it we'll be stuck here for months, Mars!"

Offline Lion

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 11:31:08 pm »
"Oh..., well, when you put it that way, I just feel like an idiot," Mars replied. He snorted actually and inwardly rolled his eyes at himself. "Valid points I did not consider. it's a good thing you pulled me out of that ice box, Cordy."

He winked at her when the owner at last showed up. She was an old grizzled woman, with short gray hair and spiky glasses. She pried them off when she spied the pair and took a double-take at Mars."Oh, aren't you a big 'un? Hah! Surprised you could fit through my door," she snorted.  "Anyway, Robo tells me yer selling a ship and cargo huh?"

"Yes, ma'am. It's docked right outside actually. "

"Ahh. I guess I'd have to see it to make an offer on the ship. Shall we go take a look?"

Offline Draconian

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »
A confused frown and she glanced away.

Cordelia chewed on her lip before she rubbed her arm, not sure what to say about him feeling like an idiot. Did she need to comfort him? The nickname led her to believe she probably didn't but...

Her head snapped to the side when the old woman wobbled her way out. Instantly a jolt of posessiveness rolled up her spine when she commented on Mars. Cordelia almost exclaimed that he wasn't for sale but, luckily, the old woman didn't go that far.

"Of course," She said simply, glancing down and away, holding Mars's hand tightly in her own while she turned to lead them along to the ship. What was the cargo even? Did it matter here? Her heart was pounding and her thighs tingled. "We're just trying to do away with it. Got it as inheritance and it's just too small for a crew of two after we downgraded to retire," Cordelia tried to keep it conversational but she hiccuped before turning her head.  "When they explained a ship,  I didn't think they meant such a large one, but that was my bad."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:29:51 pm by Draconian »

Offline Lion

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2017, 12:34:40 am »
"All right. We can have a looksie," Thatcher grumbled, cleaning at her hands and maneuvering around the counter. She led the pair of them back outside toward the docking station where the ship was in port. Nothing remotely interesting happened to it while they were speaking in that short time, and it was Mars that squeezed Cordy's hand and stepped forward to deal with the old ornery woman.

"She might not be in the best shape, but we're looking to take whatever we can get really. The vague scoring on the side is not irreparable, and she made it all the way over here from deep space," he explained.

"She did, did she? Hmm, she doesn't look bad. I am concerned though...if she's made it through deep void, how come you don't just want to keep her?"

"Downsizing, like my wife said," Mars shrugged. He crossed his arms and felt the itch of the ports on his arms. His skin twitched. And he cracked his neck as a temporary distraction. "If she won't do, I'm sure we can find someone else willing to take her on."

Thatcher cut a glare to him. This giant blonde man with eyes like ice...  He was haughty demeanor wasn't quite the turn-on that she'd been counting on, but he didn't budge. She could admire that. He had balls.

"Okay, but dirt cheap. We'll talk shop back in ...the shop," she snarled a little and punched her fist against his arm, smacking a port and making Mars twitch again.  Already she was headed back, shuffling along passed Cordelia. "100,000. And not a credit more."

Mars returned to her side, glancing down at her. "Is that good? Is that a lot?"

Offline Draconian

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:50 pm »
Stressful.

Cordelia felt herself tremble before she closed her eyes and let Mars squeeze her hand for comfort. Thankful that he dealt with it even though he had no idea what he was doing. Shit. She should do it. Though, by the time she came to that conclusion they were already talking and negotiating. Deep breaths.

Cordelia was fine by herself. Stranded in deep space? what was she going to do about that? Kinda exist. Let the Space Tide take her whereever. Took her to Mars, didn't it? Not that she'd been stranded. A pang made her chest tighten at the thought of the gumdrop. Thank the gods she hadn't had any valuable crap on it. They'd stolen Mars, too.

The amount of credits made her head jerk up, dark hair bouncing at the movement.

"150,000," she said, trying to squeeze out whatever she can get.

"105,000." The woman replied, looking sour.

"120,000." Her voice again, hard cutting."

"108,000."

"Sold."  Her voice was quick and she nodded, resting a hand on Mar's elbow. Sure the extra 8k was pennies but it was going to be Useful pennies. Maybe they'd be able to get an extra set of rations for it. Mars ate right? Cordelia glanced at him before she moved to take a step in front of him. It was unfair of her to make him deal with this. "Let's sign, hm? Transfer the credits." A smile and she bounced lightly on her feet - sort of - mostly she just bent her knees a bit in the illusion of bouncing.

An expectant look and she reached behind herself to grab Mars hand again, having found she quite liked the contact.

Offline Lion

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »
They were back in the shop, back to real life. And Mars' heart was pounding harder and harder. It was getting more and more difficult to think, to focus on what was going on at the task at hand. It was simple negotiating, nothing more. Mars' palms were getting clammy and he felt like the walls were starting to close in on him.

Then Cordelia took it upon himself to speak up. Thatcher jumped at the robogirl, with the funny legs, and while it might not have been all that unusual to anyone on the Cancer or even to the cantankerous old woman about to buy their ship. Well, "their" ship. Mars had been listening, yet there was no response, and he could hear the thoughts and voices of the people outside that shop closing in.

They were loud and growing louder still. Until the volume and pitch dialed down into a low hum and he felt someone taking his hand. Mars shut his eyes tightly, sweating in that jumpsuit, and when that palm slipped in his hand the voices quieted abruptly.

Vex?

"Oh...." he murmured, disappointment tinging at the edges of his voice. "It's done. Yes. Sign." Mars vision focused on Cordelia and he wondered how the voices quieted so quickly when she was not of his mind. They were not bonded. But they quieted, and something flipped in his belly at the thought.

A small smile played at the corner of his lips. Mars squeezed her hand back and once the paperwork was finished and the credits transferred over, he stepped back out into the crowded loud space station. "Okay we have money now. We find someone selling a better ship? Smaller ship? Larger ship? I...I think I need something to eat. I haven't had any real food since ...."  he couldn't even remember.

"Cordelia, where do we find food here? Nothing grows on a space station."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:46 pm »
Credits changed hands. They had something to buy something with. A fake real story. Cordelia squeezed Mars' hand again and moved to tuck it at the small of her back where she leaned against him for a moment before he spoke. A wide pale golden gaze to him and she opened her mouth. When had she last eaten? Probably sooner than Mars. A day at least. The hunger never gnawed at her. Though, now that he mentioned it she was hungry.

"Uhm. Bars or something?" she said softly, tugging Mars along close behind her, his hand in hers in a tight grip. The grip from her fake hand would have been stronger but she wanted to feel his flesh against her flesh. It gave her comfort. The simple heat of another being. Using what she could of her memory of Cancer Station - which was shoddy at beast.

It took a lot of effort and a great deal of wandering to find some sort of food vendor. It took a minute and she was absolutely sure she got ripped off but she came out with a small bag of 'food'. Calling it food was gracious but it was better than the rations that she had on her ship. Hm. They probably should have taken some of those from the big ship - there was no chance they didn't have rations.

Whatever. Too late now.

Cordelia opened the nutrient rich bar and handed it to Mars before she dug into her own. It tasted like some form of fake chocolate, but she wasn't going to complain. "So. A ship." she said simply, though she paused and swallowed what food she had tucked into her cheek to talk, " Unless... Um... Do you want me to... Help you find someone? Here? And then you can go with them? Do you know if you have anyone to look for?" Her voice was small and she'd dragged him into a little corner where they could have some sort of pretend privacy. "I know life's been shit since I found you... I'm sorry," Cordelia sighed and looked at her half eaten bar before taking a nibble, appetite gone.

"If you want to stay with me, we'll find a ship, load it up with everything we'll need for a few months and then... Figure out why that ship was the way it was. Okay?" She looked determined, if a little crestfallen that maybe, just maybe, Mars didn't appreciate the fact she thawed him out.

Offline Lion

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:33 am »
His stomach jerked and the coiling calmed momentarily. She had touched him with her own flesh, a simple a gesture as hand holding and it had calmed him; that quiet desperation that was boiling just underneath the surface. Mars didn't understand what had happened. She'd touched him and it quieted the noise, the buzzing in his brain and the twitches that made him want to peel out of his skin.

Mars' heartbeat was loud in his ears, thrumming quietly as he allowed himself to be lead on. He didn't know what they were looking for, or where they were going other that he focused on her hand and the grip he returned. It anchored him, and let the security of it wash over him as they pressed forward through Cancer station.

He trusted her. Together they'd gotten this far and together they'd go even further. Mars felt the burn in his veins intensify, and his heartbeat growing louder in his ears.  His hand gripped on Cordelia's, stepping in closer.

He grabbed at the food she'd offered him. Smelling it skeptically. "I need some time to think," Mars sniffed at the bar again and took a small nibble. She was eating, so it couldn't be all bad. Another bite and he forced himself to swallow it down.  "Cordelia. Don't apologize for the actions of other people. Those were their decisions."

Mars curled his arm around her neck and gave her a soft hug. "You've found me. Unless....you don't want me around anymore, then I'll understand. I just need some time to adjust. And finally being around people...feels like my brain is being crushed."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »
It felt nice, perhaps too nice, to be hugged. Even a pseudo hug. Cordelia sighed softly, mouth falling open before she looked up at Mars with her big golden eyes. A soft pink to her cheeks. What else could she do but help? It was her fault he was here at all. "I think I owe it to you to find you where you need to be," She said softly. Not where he wanted to go. Cordelia pondered at her choice of words for a moment, looking off to the side before she pressed her cheek to his chest and sighed.

"C'mon," She pulled away, shoving the last of the nutrient bar into her mouth and chewing it, hand slipping into his to leave him along. They weren't made for good, but they were made for while. Just the two of them would last longer. It would be fine. Get double what she usually got for rations to account for two people... Did he need more food because he was so big? Did extra limbs mean you ate extra? Cordelia swallowed what remained in her mouth and threaded her fingers through Mars's.

While she wasn't the most amazing at being on Space Stations she knew the Cancer well enough from business deals - dirty and legit - that she knew where they could bunk down for the next few nights relatively cheap while they go their thawing ducks in a row. Cordelia quietly got their rooming situations sorted out - one room, one bed, far cheaper. "I hope this is okay," She said quietly, pressing the cardkey to the lock and waited for the little LED to go green and permit them inside. 

Sure enough. Small. Not dingy but it didn't sparkle. One bed. simple. One pillow.

"You can sleep and I'll  keep watch if you're uncomfortable," Had he even slept yet? Cordelia couldn't remember after the Whatever Amount of Time it's been. "Mars?" She whispered, "Do you know where you were going? Maybe we can go there. Look for others or something."

Offline Lion

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2018, 12:11:41 am »
The initial confusion would subside. Just like it did on the ship. Just like it did when they managed to find their way off the pirate ship and find themselves here. Mars was mentally kicking himself for all the moping he'd done in the last 48 hours, or however long he'd been awake. He didn't want to sleep because sleeping meant change and losing something that you thought you once had.

At once it'd been the world he once knew. And now it was Vex, and he would go to sleep and Cordelia would be gone. And what would he have then. Lost in thought all the while he managed to find himself in the room and sitting on the bed and blinking when Cordelia whispered her question to him. Did he know where he was going? Hell no. But he could only follow the vibrations, the feelings that he had building up inside him with Vex's absence.

He didn't answer. Couldn't answer, not since there was actually nothing to answer with.

Instead he reached up and grabbed her metal hand in his and pulled her close, settling her between his legs.

"Why are you helping me?" he wondered aloud, letting his arms wrap around her and tugging her close. "Cordelia, you don't have to. I'm just...I trust you, but I can't give you answers I myself don't even know."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal