Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Less Than Desirable [Open!!]  (Read 449 times)

WinterWorks

Less Than Desirable [Open!!]
« on: October 31, 2015, 06:20:30 pm »
Rynn sat at his dining room table, his head buried in his hands. 

I wouldn't have come if I'd have known things would be this difficult here...

Since arriving on Edanith,  Rynn had actively been looking for a job as a foreign language teacher at nearly every school he could find.  The first problem he faced, was the lack of schools in the area.  All of which were very small and were too under-funded to afford any more teachers.  Secondly, was the lack of student interest in the languages he could teach.  He was fluent in six languages besides Stykohrian and Edani- all of which were uncommon in the galaxy and not very useful. 

As Rynn sat at the table, he couldn't help but feel that coming to Edanith was the worst decision he had ever made.  It was too late to relocate to one of the megacities, as he had spent all of his money on building materials for his house.  He wouldn't be able to afford even the cheapest, most run down apartment in any city.  He was undoubtedly stuck here.  Despite being poor as dirt, he managed to feed himself well.  He'd obtained a hunting license as soon as he arrived, and hunted daily in the sparse woods near his home.  Forests on Edanith were not common, and he had been smart to settle near one.  Rabbits were a common animal here, despite the fact that they were not native.  He suspected that the first rabbits in the area were once pets, who either escaped or were released into the wild.  Rynn ate well, and had a relatively decent home, but he had nothing to do.  He had no friends or family here, and even after a year, he still wasn't totally sure about the locations of cities or settlements.  There were a few neighbors around, but none had bothered to ever say a word to him.  He figured it was simply the way things worked on the frontier, and chose to stray from social opportunities. 

The sun was going to go down soon.  It had been an unusually hot day, and even as Rynn sat immobile in his chair, he could feel sweat beading on the back of his neck.  Looking out at the setting sun, he groaned and stood up.  It was a good time to check the garden.  He pushed the chair in, and walked outside.  The dry, red soil produced dust as he walked, and added to the drab feeling of the surrounding landscape.  Behind his house, Rynn had a large garden.  It needed watering constantly, and anything he planted would wither within a day if he forgot.  He had a large barrel of water sitting next to the house, which he used as an overall water supply.  He filled a watering can, and nearly drenched his tiny plants with water.  He knew they'd be alright, even if he over-watered them.  Water  soaked into the ground quickly, meaning the plants actually soaked up less than half of what he gave them.  He sat down on the ground, his back supported by the side of his house.  He stared at his garden and talked out loud, as he often did.

"Grow.  I need something more than rabbits to live on.  Just do the thing.  Duplicate your cells.  If I could manipulate time, I would, just so that something-anything-would happen.  I need someone to talk to.  I can't keep talking to you.  I can't keep talking to plants for the rest of my life." 

Offline Flakeblood

Re: Less Than Desirable [Open!!]
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »
Talking to plants was the sign of a lonely man. Fish-man. Well, at the very least, he looked like he belonged near or in water. His light coloring stood out against all the red in the landscape.

Maite herself had just been scouting the new structure. There wasn't much in this settlement, even from last time she visited, but this man's house was new. Having spotted it before she completely left the cover of the nearby forest, she had waited for at least thirty minutes to confirm the owner was currently away or holed up inside.

Sprinting to reach the structure, she'd crouched and looked around. Most of the area around the house was barren, as expected. However, one thing had immediately grabbed her attention. A garden.

The plants looked sickly compared to what megacities offered, but overall edible. Whoever lived here obviously looked after them well. Of course, Maite was willing to bet soil so close to the forest was easier to work with, too.

Fresh crops would add something her diet lacked, and they had nothing or no one to guard them. She didn't really care if they were completely grown, either. If any were roots, she could save and replant parts of them upon reaching her next properly terraformed town.

But the man had come out then, watering and talking to the crops. So much for that plan. A new one was in order. She touched her mask nervously before deciding to leave it on. At least she and her clothes were cleaner, since she'd stopped at a forest stream earlier.

Clearing her throat, she stood and cautiously stepped around the corner of the house.

"Then might you enjoy some company for a short time? I don't mind helping out where you need it, if you don't mind sharing some supper."

Though it wasn't as quick as stealing, working and trading for food was sometimes necessary.
Rest assured, I see all of you lovely people's posts, but expect me to be a bit slower responding.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal