Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: What does an AI do with its freetime? (atlas crew)  (Read 1129 times)

alex_xr

What does an AI do with its freetime? (atlas crew)
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »
Allison as she identified her self, to the beings on the atlas,  guided the ship with, but she found that only took a bit of her processing.  She had always refrained from contacting the crew members as she found they often didn't react well to her. Well She decieded that she was going to use her extra time at hand to  help the crew. So she had some devices in engineering show her "human" form and she smiled at which ever engineer happened to be there. " Hello, can I assist you in anyway? I find that my processing power is not being used to capacity and wish to aid in whatever way I can. "   She  tried to smile.. In her research beings liked that, a face with a smile. There was a reason she used her human form she found that it humanized her so they were more willing to accept her. 

Bowen

Re: What does an AI do with its freetime? (atlas crew)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »
Kahaku leaned over the main engineering terminal and frowned at the readings.  The tweaks he'd just made to the water filtration system's protocols should have had at least a five percent increase in throughput by now, but it seemed to be trucking along the same as it had been before.  It was starting to look like he was going to have to head pretty much to the other end of the ship and go over the filtration pumps the old-fashioned way.

And then someone spoke from behind him, but he hadn't heard the security-locked door open.  He spun his chair around, confused and startled, and blinked at the female human standing there.  "Er, hello," he said awkwardly, before abruptly placing the nondescript face.  The mention of processing power helped a bit too.  "You're Allison, right?  The nav AI?  I'm Kahaku, the new chief engineer."  He rubbed at his forehead, not noticing that a trace of grease from earlier took the chance to smear across the scales at the base of his spine fin instead of his fingers.

"There is something, actually.  I've been tweaking the water filtration systems a bit, and the throughput really should have improved by now, but nothing.  I don't suppose you'd be able to confirm that or anything before I go shove my face into the pumps and decide if I have to pull them apart or not?"  He grinned.  He wouldn't actually pull the pumps apart, thereby shutting down an entire section of the filtration system, unless he really had to.  Loose a few bolts, tighten some others - but not dismantle them.

alex_xr

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »
Allison smiled some more at Kahaku, " Yess I have researched you, you like water don't you.. "   She scanned the systems, and checked the various ships stats on them. She then decided what she thought was going on. " It seems something is stuck in the pump, restricting its flow. thus making your improvements useless"  She said,  tracing down the blockage by monitoring the  flow at different parts.  This of course took seconds. "   I believe there is also blockage under deck D. "   She had an idea but figured she would wait till the crew was more use to her. She wasn't usualy out of the command deck but she had found  her processing not being used enough, and decided to help out.

Bowen

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:14 pm »
"Water and video games!"  Kahaku grinned, and hopped off his chair at the mention of a blockage.  "Why didn't you say so?  Best get that sorted out!"  He stopped midstep when Allison continued.  "Under deck D as well?"  He scrambled to remember which deck D was.  Entertainment.  Water park.  There were some pretty heavy pumps and filters there, especially the Hydragon's pumps.  That think packed some impressive horsepower.  "You make my job so much easier!  Can you tell which system in particular it is?"  He quickly worked out which problem was closer.  "Actually, I think I'll clear up the filtration pump first, if the D blockage is just as stable."

alex_xr

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »
Allison replied " The system is still operating within acceptable levels, thus the system has not set off any flags. "   She wondered about humans some time, why make an level acceptable  if you are going to expect more than it. " She  looked,  at him and tried to think of how to explain this. " All I can tell is its to do with the hydragon.  It seems it is shooting at non optimnal levels.   due to some sorts of restrictions. "   She laughed , " I am familiar with video games.  You play as well?"  She had a weakness for them,  perhaps it was her programming but she enjoyed playing them, though no one had ever let her play with them.     she  walked to follow him, various cameras in the ship let her image move seemlessly as she could move throughout most of the ship. She had snuck work orders  for them.   

Bowen

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:44:13 pm »
"All right, I'll see to it in a bit.  Restrictions in the Hydragon again, huh?  Probably an oversized collection of, ah, organic matter the nanites haven't had a chance to shred yet."  He shook his head tolerantly before squinting at a crossway's label, sorting out how much farther he had to go, and continuing onwards.  "You bet I play!  They're really the entire reason I came out this way."  He swung into a vertical lift to drop to the level that housed the primary water filtration systems.  "There's a lot that doesn't make it all the way out to Noltai, and I didn't want to be missing out on so much.  So, I went to university, got myself a trade, and hopped shuttle out of there."  He paused after exiting the lift.  "Can you go anywhere in the ship?" he asked abruptly.  "Being, well, an AI."

alex_xr

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »
"I can be anywhere, though not visually in all places,  not yet.  I once tried to convince a chief engineer to let me inhabit an robot.. but he felt that was too dangerous"  She  wanted to understand beings more, she helped and observed them  but they were often afraid of her, and didn't trust her.    " I understand that most fear me.. they fear those stories that are often popular.. of AI's taking over  " She frowned.  Her various upgrades made her nearly human.  " Do you play SOTE?" It was some sort of online game, taking place in a fantasy world.   

Bowen

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
"Good to know, good to know.  I might want to call on your superb sensory examination skills in the future, after all."  He keyed a security door open and headed into the filtration pump room.  The deep, low whirring and humming of such pumps always seemed to envelop his voice, and he automatically spoke louder.  "Dangerous would really depend on the individual's ethics and morals and inhibitions, wouldn't it?" he mused aloud.  "Artificial or biological, intelligent beings are intelligent beings, and tarring everyone with the same brush seems a little premature."  Strange phrase, that.  Tarring things with brushes.  Quite archaic.  Probably human too; their culture was quite contagious.  "SOTE?  It's not one I spend most of my time on, but I pop in there every now and then.  I take it you're a fan?"

alex_xr

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:33 pm »
She was now speaking through speakers and an communicator should he have one. "  Well I don't actually have funds.. or means to have my own game.. I just play when others let me which is not very often. One could say it is enjoyable. "  She liked this engineer, he seemed nicer to her than most beings.   " You should play against me some time I will beat you" She said with  an air of confidence. She kept guiding the ship, checking its systems and doing numerous other things but she enjoyed this the most, beings always challenged her processing the most,  to speak and analyze their interactions.

Bowen

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
Personally, Kahaku felt that anything bright enough to hold a conversation deserved fair recompense for any work they did, even if an AI didn't have the option to choose whether or not they worked or what they got to do.  The last time he'd mentioned that bright idea, though, he'd found himself meeting his then-captain's fist upside his head.  Society didn't need AIs banding together and demanding payment and freedom and whatnot.  "Tell you what.  We play later, and if you do beat me, I set you up with a copy so you can play when you want - on the condition that you don't slack off on the ship because you're too busy playing."  He winked as he powered down the problem pump and worked on freeing its access panel, completely unbothered at apparently talking to the air.

alex_xr

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »
Allison couldn't believe it, here a being was offering her a game, no one had ever done such a thing.  She would focus as much spare processing as she could into beating this young man, wanting the game,  it would not be fair but it would work.  She wanted that game, and not slack off, she laughed she could ideally have it on all the time, or instead of idling.   She would beat the beings at their own game. " you are strangely nice to me,  I like you " She knew that the game would not be worth playing but perhaps she could experiment on it and make friends..  " Why engineering? surely you could make the games if nothing else. " 

Bowen

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:17 am »
Strangely nice?  Perhaps to an AI, but Kahaku wasn't one to judge others, especially for being what they were or were made to be.  "Hey, what harm could it do?" he said easily.  A happier AI was more likely to behave itself, so that was hardly a bad thing.  "Oh, why engineering?  Well, I figured it was the most likely thing to get me down this end of things."  He paused to lean into the open panel, and felt into the pump's working recesses with his whiskers.  There did indeed seem to be a build up of something alternately slimy and rough.  He worked at finding a grip on it, and the lump came free.  He grunted.  "There.  That ought to help it."  He withdrew the object, a small crystal that was either blue-green or taking the colour from the variegated slime that was clinging to it.  "Oh, I'm hardly creative enough to make games," Kahaku said dismissively.  "That, and I would have had to go off-world just to learn the basics."

alex_xr

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
Allison checked the sensors, " you did it, I am reading nothing else in the valve, of course I can't be sure until you close it back up and we start moving water again. "  She listened, ' I see, but surely your world knows how to make video games. " She thought about looking it up but didn't see a use.   She found the engineer interesting.  " I flagged the system so it was known you were working on this stretch of the system. I also have a problem.. They won't close the water park, for use to work, they only close it every 30 days.  "  She wondered what he would have to say about that.  She was glad to have a person who engaged her, though she had another presence in the ship for the captain, though she didn't really need to as the ship was easy to fly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal