Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Bad Start On A Rough Road [Rina!]  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Tally

Bad Start On A Rough Road [Rina!]
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »
Into the sink below drops of blood splattered, red on stainless steel.  Temple had left a trail of them leading in from the hallway to the bathroom.  He'd probably have to clean that up if a Pilot saw them, but he intended to book it out of there as soon as his split lip stopped bleeding.  He hung his head over the sink a few moments more before reaching for a paper towel and, wetting it, pressed it to his mouth.

He looked like a mess, blood smeared over his face and staining the front of his uniform.  With one hand holding the towel in place, he used the other to comb his fingers through his black hair and try to get it back into a state fit to be seen.  The way they'd pulled at it, he figured he'd have whole chunks missing.

That was one evil bruise forming around his left eye, too.  He leaned closer to get a better look at it.  Far from hating it, he was hoping it would give his face a...rougher look.  Gods above, he hated his face, his body.  He was built lean and small—not like Roman, he thought bitterly, and damnit why did he have to keep comparing himself to him?—with a smooth, hairless face and violet eyes that suggested vulnerability, innocence.

The higher stage candidates had thought him an easy mark at first.  Now three weeks into training and a dozen bloody fights later and they were learning to mock him from a distance.

Most were.  Three of them had gotten in his face today.  He was certain he'd given one of them enough cause to hobble off to the medic and the two others would have their share of bites and bruises.  He fought like an animal—had to—biting and clawing and tearing at whatever vulnerable bit of skin happened to be in front of him.  What he lacked in strength and skill he had to make up for in unhesitating, unrelenting ferocity.

Not that they'd given any less than they got, and he might have to see the medic himself.  But he was still standing, and that was good enough for now.

Once his lip stopped gushing blood, he tossed the towel away and rinsed his mouth out with water then cleaned his face up.  He was due for drills in ten minutes, but one of the inviolable rules of basic training demanded candidates see the medic for any significant injury.  You didn't hide such injuries, and you didn't try to work through them if they risked doing greater harm, and Temple's torso throbbed internally in a way he didn't like and he'd had to limp his way to the bathroom on an ankle that felt sprained, maybe torn.

Looked like he may be missing yet another drill because of a fight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Bad Start On A Rough Road [Rina!]
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
Well well. Temple Rosales. Bart looked over the file as he walked down the hallway, cigarette dangling out of his lips, mostly forgotten. Probably wasn't supposed to smoke here, but, well, Bart always felt those were guidelines, suggestions that applied to other people. Kid was Roman's little brother. That had to suck. Bart didn't know much of the story between them, and honestly didn't really care. Wasn't his business and made no real difference to him. But Roman was....well....so Roman. Had to be hard living in that shadow.

The little munchkin is in the bathroom. Nuriel's rich voice filled Bart's mind He just sent some older kids to the medic. I approve of him already.

You would. Kid okay?

How would I know? He's bleeding.

...badly?

I don't know. You are the psychic.

...have I told you recently that I hate you?

You love me.
Nuriel sent Bart a wave of amusement and the exact location of his candidate.

Bart shook his head, changing his course. He had planned on watching the kid drill, then maybe talk to him. Well, the sign of a good soldier was his ability to deal with setbacks. Or somethin' like that. His long legs ate up the hallway, even with his relaxed gate and it wasn't long before he was at the bathroom, pushing the door open.

He took in the site and gave a low whistle, "Well shit darlin. Yer almost as pretty as I am like that." Stepping into the room, Bart let the door close behind him, "Hear ya sent the other kids to the medic." This was something Bart approved of. He didn't approve of bullies. He slid a light probe out, wanting to know how badly the kid was hurt, "Just keep pressure on it. Lips are bleeders." Bart pulled the cigarette out of his mouth, grinning, "I'm yer mentor, by the way. Pilot Royal Bartolomeu Hamilton. But ya can call me Bart. Or Pilot Hamilton if ya must."

Offline Tally

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:57:55 am »
Footsteps echoed out in the hallway, coming down the hall toward the bathroom.  Temple straightened up and licked the last of the blood off his lip just as a man—a Pilot—swung the door open and stepped inside.  Which one was this?  Temple had seen a lot of Pilots in passing during his time at the ATC, and could only put a name to about half a dozen of them. He was just bad about remembering them all.

He saluted automatically, and then...really didn't know how to respond.  He forgot himself for a moment and sucked on his lip before schooling his face back into an expressionless mask.

Call him Bart?  Temple could hardly imagine calling a Pilot by his first name, even at invitation.  This one, though...this one wasn't just some bored Pilot looking in on a candidate.  This was his mentor, someone he would likely be stuck with for at least the next five years.  He was instantly wary.  Some Pilots could be...unpredictable.

Since he could think of no better response, he settled for something safe and noncommittal.

"Yes, sir."

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:49 am »
"Well, I see yer a talker then." Bart stuck the cigarette back between his lips and leaned closer, looking at Temple a bit closer. Kid was pretty like a girl, big ol' purple eyes, delicate features and a thin frame.  That must make things real pleasant for him.

He gave a soft whistle as he took in all the injuries, "Well damn. You sure got all prettied up. Come on darlin', lets start walking toward the medics." He stepped back and opened the bathroom door, "You feel up to talkin' while you walk? Like ta get to know ya a little. Like I said, names Bart. You like to go by Temple? Or you got another name ya like to be called?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:40 am »
Temple's natural inclination was to lean back when the Pilot leaned forward, but he planted his feet and didn't sway.  He had been rather hoping he might get through the program without having to deal with a mentor.  Pilots made him nervous, and he rather didn't like the thought of one of them focusing their attention solely on him.

It felt odd walking through a door while a Pilot held it open for him, but he supposed he had to.  He stood at attention on the other side and waited for Pilot Hamilton to lead the way so he could fall in behind and at least get back to some semblance of a social order that he understood.  It didn't help his nerves that Pilot Hamilton spoke far more casually than he was used to in this place.

"Temple is fine, sir." But why ask?  Couldn't he have just read Temple's mind?

Maybe he couldn't.  Temple still had no idea how that worked, or the limitations of it.  The testers had assured him he was capable of both telekinesis and telepathy, but neither had manifested yet and it was maddening.  He was fairly sure he was the only candidate in the ATC devoid of any psionic ability.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:05 am »
"You know, I ain't gonna bit ya or nothin'." Bart grinned at the kid, a little amused at how wary he was. Couldn't really blame the kid, as half the Pilots were fuckin' nutjobs, "Ya can relax. This ain't all formal like. Promise."

It took Bart a moment to remember where the infirmary in the ATC was, not really ever using it much. He headed off in what he hoped was the right direction, assuming Temple would follow, "I would ask how things are goin' but, I can guess that myself pretty well." He grinned at Temple, "If ya want, I can teach ya some dirty tricks."

Offline Tally

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »
Temple couldn't decide if the Pilot was trying to bait him or not.  Hamilton's supposed reassurance wasn't that reassuring, and just made him feel more awkward as he followed the Pilot down the hall.  Since when did a Pilot speak casually to a candidate?  Since never, that's when.

Not that Temple found him any more intimidating than every other Pilot.  It was just that he knew how to behave when protocol was followed.  He wasn't doing very well with the training, but nor was he performing exceptionally bad.  Slightly less than mediocre all across the board, which left him little room for error.

"Dirty tricks?"  In his interest he nearly forgot the most important part.  "Sir?"

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »
Bart gave a small sigh as the kid still kept himself tense and proper. Bart loathed all that nonsense for the most part. He understood it's importance, but it didn't mean he liked having to be formal all the time.

He grinned when the kid showed some interest for the first time, "Yup. Know some pretty good ones. I don't ever believe in fighting fair. Waste of time. Always aim low. Boys always wanna punch and swing at the face and chest, donno why. But we do. Trick is, go low, fast and brutal. Now, I ain't the one who told you this, but a pen in a kneecap, well, that's a good way to end a fight quickly."

Thanks to his odd way of speaking and easy manner, when Bart had been a candidate, a number of bullies had assumed he was going to be a big, dumb, easy target. Bart had quickly proved them wrong on that account.

"Oh. And kidneys. People don't much like gettin' punched there. Though, careful about punchin' too hard can cause some serious damage. And then they'll come after ya for that."

Offline Tally

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »
Now this was wisdom that made sense to Temple.  He didn't follow the line of reasoning that valued honorable combat.  Don't shoot your opponent in the back, don't fight an unarmed man, always fight fair, stuff like that.  Well fuck that shit.  He would do what he had to do to win.  Had too, when all of his opponents here in the ATC already had their psionic powers manifested.  A fair fight with any of them would mean defeat for him every time.

"Pen in the kneecap," he muttered, nodding. Yes. He'd have to try that.  This was good practical advice, and so simple.  He couldn't believe something like that had never occurred to him before.

This mentor actually had something useful to provide him.  It came as a surprise, somehow.  He'd been so preoccupied with the drawbacks of having a mentor, he hadn't stopped to think of how it might help him.

Now that he thought of it, they'd probably run into one or two of the candidates he fought with.  They should be in the infirmary as well by now.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »
"Well, yer a jaded little one, ain't cha?" Bart shook his head, "Damn kid. Yer stiffer than a damn board. Resistin' all my ample charm here." The kid seemed a little interested in the dirty fighting and that was at least hopeful.

But Bart was a social creature at heart. He liked people, liked being around them and it made him a little sad Temple kept his distance. Not that he could blame him, with all the shit that went on in the ATC and some of the sadistic Pilots around.

"I wouldn't worry about the other kids none." Bart finished off his cigarette with one last, long drag. He was never allowed to smoke in the infirmary, the nurses got all scary. He was trying to respect Temple's privacy, but the kid was completely open and it was hard to not overhear thoughts, "They ain't gonna try nothin' in there."

Offline Tally

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:56:21 am »
"Yes...sir?" he said, because once again he couldn't think of a good response to Pilot Hamilton's odd statements.  He couldn't think of anything...safe.  What could you say to that except to blindly agree with whatever they said?

They stopped just outside the infirmary door.  It slid open.  "Well...you never know.  One of them was Raley Sa—"

He didn't get a chance to finish the sentence.  Just as they entered, Raley lunged off the exam table right for Temple, knocking the doctor out of the way in the process.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:07 am »
Raley didn't really get far. Bart's hand shot out, grabbed the candidate by the neck and slammed him hard into the wall. Staring at the kid, Bart's expression was very not amused, "Candidate Sade, is there a reason yer attackin' someone in the fuckin' infirmary? Explain ta me how this is acceptable fuckin' behavior."

He knew a bit about Sade. And he didn't like it. Another sadist candidate, causing problems and didn't seem all that in control of himself.

Offline Tally

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 03:15:45 am »
Raley struggled a moment, reflexively, then glared at Temple who had flinched backward at the attack but hadn't gotten a chance to even react before Bart took control of the situation.  One large bruise, as from some blunt object, bloomed on Raley's face, and blood ran in a thin trickle from his scalp and down his cheek.

"Little fucker nearly bit a chunk out of my fucking arm!" Raley was breathing hard, but he didn't fight Bart's grip.  He didn't much acknowledge Bart at all really, not even to salute.

Temple knew when he was being baited and didn't respond.  He wasn't about to get into it with Raley over who had gone too far first.

The doctor, August, brushed himself off with a sigh.  He motioned Temple over to an exam table, but Temple hesitated, watching Raley.

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:18:36 am »
Bart's arm jerked and Raley slammed back into the wall, "CANDIDATE." He was not pleased, "Ya better start showin' some fucking respect or I promise ya wont like the consequences."

His eyes flicked over to Temple, "Ya bit him? Good job." Was a shame Temple hadn't taken the chunk all the way out. Would have served Raley right. Bart's free hand gestured for Temple to go to the doctor, "Go on. Sade and I are just gonna keep havin' our nice little chat."

Offline Tally

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »
Raley's head hit the wall again and he finally managed to tear his eyes away from the fucking Rosales kid.  He stared hard at the Pilot for a second, uncomprehending, as his mind caught up with his rage and he registered just what Hamilton had said.  Fucking Pilots ruined everything.  He couldn't say or do shit around here without one of them jumping his ass.

"Yes, sir," he said, but he couldn't get his face into that expressionless mask they always liked to.  He wasn't so good with the iron-clad self control yet.

Temple would have had no problem going again with Raley.  He never backed down from a fight as a general rule.  Figured that could only make things worse for him.  He was totally cool with Bart ordering him to the exam table though.  Just because he wasn't afraid of trouble didn't mean he wanted to get into it again with Sade.

Before August got to Temple he pulled out a few bandages and some tape, as well as a small suture gun.  "Just preparing for the imminent head trauma," he said, with a warning look to Bart.  Couldn't have him brutalizing a candidate in the infirmary now could they? He'd have to take a couple steps out in the hall to do that.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 02:11:46 am »
"Good. Glad we got a fuckin' understandin' now." Bart was pissed, an emotion he rarely dealt with. But Raley was pressing all his buttons. And if August didn't like it, well, he would make it up to him later. He didn't move his eyes from Raley, fingers still locked around the kids neck, "Now, while my candidate gets patched up, let's have a little chat. Ya got some explain' ta do. Some reason yer so fuckin' special ya ain't gotta show me proper respect? So special ya can disrespect yer doctor and cause problems in the infirmary? I'm lookin' forward ta hearin' this answer."

Offline Tally

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »
"No, sir," Raley said, glaring at Bart.  That was what they always wanted to hear.  No, sir. Yes, sir.  It shut them up and made them happy.  They were never interested in the real answers, like how Raley wished he could lay into this fucking Pilot here and now and not get fucking trimmed over it. Or how it was Hamilton's own fault for bringing Rosales in here.  What was he supposed to do?  Ignore the little shit and do nothing?

That was exactly what Temple was trying to do just then: ignore it all. He didn't want to go gaping at a Pilot when he was disciplining another candidate.  It was none of his business.  August seemed to be having no trouble at all concentrating.  He was busy examining Temple's torso.

"No more drills for you today," August said, and Temple had to bite his lip to keep from talking back.  He couldn't afford to miss drills, not even for a day.

"But you're back on your regular schedule tomorrow."

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »
"Now, I didn't ask ya a yes or no question. So I suggest ya start answerin' what the fuck I asked ya." Bart still hadn't moved, not even looking over at Temple. He would deal with that later, right now, Raley had his focus.

Offline Tally

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:25 pm »
The Pilot wanted answers?  Fine.  He said it with a sneer on his face and contempt in his voice.  He was already fucked anyway over this, so why not be thoroughly honest?

"Sorry, sir, I just become overcome with disgust whenever I see a weak, pathetic, undeserving little pussy in this program."

Temple started to move.  Not intentionally, not even realizing it, but he never let anyone talk about him that way.  It was the only way he survived in here, by not allowing anyone to think he would be a victim.  Ever.

August caught his arm before he could go anywhere.  "That would be counterproductive to what I'm actually trying to do here," he muttered.  Which was try and get these kids patched up, not beat further down.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »
Bart tightened his grip and dragged the kid out into the hallway. Augest didn't like violence in the infirmary and he had already disrupted it enough. "Would have thought ya would have figured out ta keep things polite when addressin' yer superiors. But seems like ya got a thick head."

With brutal efficiency, Bart twisted Raley's right arm into a painful lock, "See, if ya had just beat up on my candidate, that's one thing. But boy, bein' insubordinate crosses a line. And just talkin' ain't workin'."

With a powerful strike, Bart shattered Raley's elbow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal