Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Broken Things [open!]  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Tally

Broken Things [open!]
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
Lyric approached the ruined terraforming tower without as much caution as he probably should have.  Faith was a hard habit to break.

What could have done this?  This wasn't one of the main towers, but a small subsidiary spike meant to produce and excess of water in this area.  It had been six, maybe seven stories tall.  Something had cleaved the thing nearly in half, and all that was left was a smoking, sparking mess of metal.

Lyric circled around, squinting against the late evening sun at the tower's mangled interior.  His reflection caught in the shiny siding of the tower.  He rubbed at his face.  No sunburn yet.  Not so much as tan either.  He was still practically white as driven snow, though the wind had mussed his blonde hair into a disheveled mop.

Satori

Re: Broken Things [open!]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:00:10 am »
Oh?  What could have happened here?  A ruined tower deep in the frontier, torn up as though it had been cut through.  Just one made to produce water, too.  A water tower, of sorts.  Kardia remembered water towers.  Ingenious ideas, they were, until they were made obsolete by things like...well, this.  If someone could do this to a terraforming tower though, why waste it on this one?  She had to know.  Past events like these were like stories waiting to be read.  Some were more interesting than others, but the ones that left enough of a mark were usually the better ones.  And she didn't even have to go through the extra effort of putting all the pages together.

But first...there was someone else around.  There was a man of pale skin and blonde hair, circling around the tower.  He might have even seen Kardia approach, assuming he wasn't too busy staring at the wreckage.  He'd see a young adult woman of light skin and green hair and eyes, dressed in the heavy garments of a traveler.  And he'd see that she was alone, with no apparent excess of supplies.  He might even see her walk right up to him, and if he didn't, he'd at least see her reflection when it joined his on the tower's side.

"Are you curious?" she asked, as though it was a perfectly natural thing to do without even a greeting.  "About what happened here, I mean."

Offline Tally

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »
Amid the rushing of the wind over the sand came the unmistakable beat of footsteps.  He shifted a bit to catch the reflection behind him.  Looked like a woman, and the closer she got, the more of her features he could make out.

Instead of turning around, he spoke to her reflection.  "More than I probably should be.  Do you know what did it?"

Satori

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »
"Not a clue!" Kardia said excitedly.  Far more excitedly than someone should realistically be acting for answering in the negative.  "That's the beauty of it.  It's something I don't know yet.  I love it when I find things I don't know about yet."  Her reflection vanished from the side of the tower as she began circling around it, taking in the scene from all sides.  All sides possible from the ground at least.

"But," she said, when she returned to the blonde's side.  "I can find out.  History is my domain, after all."

Offline Tally

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:00:11 pm »
Lyric leaned away, but only out of the surprise.  She was certainly zealous!  Unexpectedly so, but he couldn't fault her for her excitement, even if he couldn't quite mirror it.  It was good to see something alive out here!

"Find out?  How?"

Brisinger987

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
Naeghtmayer looked at the tower hungrily. Whatever did this would be a good meal. He had found he was always hungry. No food or being sated his hunger. It was his eternal punishment. Their eternal punishment.

Naeghtmayer began to climb the tower's cleaved side, using tendrils to latch onto anything he found. He ripped off loose beams, clawed into floors. The place was slowly getting even more wrecked. He would look like a huge bulge on the tower, slowly grappling up it.

"Feed... Hunger..."

Nascent

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:17 pm »
(OOC: Hope you guys don't mind me stirring this up a bit. Warning: things are about to get rather violent. Rock on, folks.)

M U S I C A L   S H I F T

MISSION PARAMETERS:
Primary objective is containment and recovery of Subject 71-666.
Subject 71-666, "Naeghtmayer", has an unknown combat rating but must be considered highly dangerous. If recovery of specimen alive is not possible then corpse will suffice.
Stealth insertion of Project Asheroth required. Edanith ignorance of operation paramount.

"Commander, I'm not saying I'm opposed to the mission..." Andrea's face, lit in long shadows by the blue 'stealth running' lights of the Indigo Divination's ops center, was nonetheless colored with concern -- and everyone on deck could see it clear as day. "But infiltrating Edanith space -- deploying Asheroth to the surface of a sovereign world... if this doesn't go just right then..."

"Which is why it has to go 'just right', miss Luccia." Seated at a general-purpose readout console, the slimy company rep Kale Petrovich spoke with mild scorn. "This mission comes directly from the TRIM Director himself. Nothing, nothing escapes the Institute! We have our company's reputation, to say nothing of its secrets and research, to consider!"

"Simmer down, both of you!" It was Cmdr. Daniel Koveks who stepped in to prevent yet another pointless feud between the team's scientist and its glorified sales rep, literally getting up from his command console and standing between them. "I know we're all on edge -- this is our first operation to involve an escaped experiment, after all. Yes, the cyborg's limits are going to be tested, and yes, we have business and international relations to consider. If this thing blows up then Thanatos is going to have egg all over its face and we're all going to bear the blame. Together." He emphasized, eyes traveling from one to the other.

"Kale, make yourself useful and monitor any unencrypted communications around our target zone, once we have one." The commander returned to his seat. "If our intel is right this thing's likely to make quite a ruckus and that could attract unwanted attention. We don't need Edanith police mixed up in this. Andrea, see if you can get a fix on its bio signs -- we need to know where we're deploying to, and if it's in one of those megacities then this op is already a PR disaster." He touched a finger to his earpiece. "Thames, tell me the stealth tech and drop chute are working."

"Purrin' like a retarded kitten in a box full'a loose socks, Danny Boy." The intercom crackled with the gritty voice of the ship's engineer. "If all's well the Edanith don't even know we're up here, and our lady of death should have a smooth ride down... well, as smooth as an orbital drop onto a half terraformed planet can go, anyway. Just tell me yer not gonna have her splash down inta the ocean -- those tides are like getting hit by a cargo carrier in the face, I expect."

"I'll get back to you on that, Thames." He toggled off the earpiece. "Andrea?"

"I think I've got it. There's... I think it's a ruined structure in the outlands, maybe a terraforming tower of some kind. No power readings; our target seems to be moving up it for some reason."

"BINGO!" The commander clenched one fist and grinned. "Any other life signs in the immediate area?"

"Checking... yes, but not many. Single digits; shouldn't be a problem."

"Okay, we'll worry about onlookers once we have what we came for." He flipped a switch on the arm of his chair and the blue lighting turned to red. "Okay people, Operation Hellfreeze is a go! Thames, prep Asheroth for immediate launch." He began interacting with an advanced 3D holographic display that appeared in front of him showing targeting vectors, atmospheric conditions, and readiness indicators. "Acquiring launch alignment now -- fire on my signal."

Moments later a steely pod was hurtling down into the planet's atmosphere at breakneck speeds, its external plating glowing red and orange then blue and white-hot as it descended. To those on the ground the first sign of the drop pod would be a very faint streak of red in the sky... growing larger and larger as it neared the tower. Air boiled in the pod's wake, leaving a trail of white steam -- a scar cut by a searing knife into the cyan sky. And then... impact, sudden and tremorous, kicking dry red dirt up in a shockwave halo and punching a crater into the landscape.

Ceramic shielding plates, charred past further usefulness, fell off the pod as one when the entire pear-shaped vehicle trembled, opening a large frontal hatch. From it a lone occupant stepped forward, looking as alien to this world as the first human settlers of Edanith must have felt. Sunlight, harsh in comparison to the dark interior of the drop pod, touched the cyborg creature's unnatural green skin, causing it to twitch ever so slightly just below the surface.

Sending a silent transmission, Asheroth let her operators know she had arrived successfully... and had Subject 71-666 on her sensors. With an almost mechanical confidence she began to walk up the inclined surface of the landing crater and towards the derelict tower, cybernetic components quietly whirling and system-checking in readiness for combat.

The will of Thanatos had arrived.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:47:35 pm by Nascent »

Brisinger987

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:03:48 am »
Another Music Shift

Naeghtmayer heard the pod crash down, and saw it land. Both demons that comprised the joint being let out a low guttural growl, that projected for literal miles around, and would make it's presence obvious.

In terms of thought processes the two beings thought different, with Kirnardaz having no say in the thoughts at this point. Skalos had control, and the already insane Shadow Demon was warped and tortured more than ever. It wanted to kill, to slaughter, it had forgotten of the concept of friends and knew only enemy now.

"Feed... Hunger..." Naeghtmayer turned it's attention back to climbing, determined to find something better to kill. It climbed at blinding speeds, for it's size anyway. It was hellishly fast, speeds borne of the unholy origins the being held.

Two demons in an amalgamated body. One form for two equally insane minds. It was a true nightmare to any foe, and deserved to be left to die on it's terms.

Nascent

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:50:07 pm »
[Target sighted.]

Neon green eyes gazed up at the tower from the edge of the landing crater, a handful of different sensors all acquiring target locks on Naeghtmayer simultaneously. The demon's shifting, almost liquid body made getting an exact fix on it difficult at this range...

{Try to draw it's attention -- get it away from the tower.} The voices of her 'operators', in this case the commander, rang in the AI's mind, and for the umpteenth time she marveled at humanity. Not in a good way, necessarily; she had respect for her creators and operators, but the kind of respect one harbors for fools and idiots who, against all odds and statistical probabilities, accomplish grand and marvelous things. In the time it took to listen to the spoken communique Asheroth's cybernetic pathways could have processed the literary wealth of roughly sixteen large, well-stocked metropolitan libraries and cross-referenced every non-fiction work for accuracy against half a dozen or more sources. Verbiage was, from her point of view, only slightly more efficient as a means of dialogue as chiseling messages onto stones and throwing them at the intended recipient -- and only marginally more sophisticated at that. That such fumbling, dimwitted beings had managed to craft the likes of libraries in the first place, and then advances such as computing, space travel, and weapons with slightly more design finesse than 'throw small hard things really fast' was the equivalent to watching a common house fly work out E=MC2. {Even if the thing's a cast-off wreck it still belongs to the planetary government. I doubt they'd just ignore someone trashing a terraforming tower.}

[Confirmed.] She transmitted in lightning-fast digital response. [Engaging target.]

Lifting one hand to point at the distant tower-climbing, the armor plating on Asheroth's forearm raised up slightly just past the wrist, a dim glow of emerald light sparkling from the machinery it revealed. Targeting data swirled through the AI at hundreds of millions of calculations a second... and then a fusillade of dagger-thin energy bolts was suddenly streaking across the distance towards the daemonic aberration, the air sizzling in their wake. At this range few if any were likely to hit, but the message they would send would strike its mark at least.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:15:43 am by Nascent »

Offline Tally

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »
(OOC:  hey guys!  Sorry I disappeared for awhile, but as you're both still around, and I'm still around, I will get to posting again!)

Demons, hellish growling, things falling from the sky...this day was turning out a good deal more exciting than Lyric generally liked.

He raised a hand, and invoked a holy sword of gold and white light.  Not that he felt he would really need it.  That...thing on the tower and whatever was after it didn't seem to notice him in the slightest.

Brisinger987

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:43 am »
Naeghtmayer heard the projectiles whizz past him, and he turned again to look, before actually climbing inside the tower. Whatever was at the top was drawing him towards it, and he wanted whatever was at the top. Perhaps a chance at separation. If the two beings could be separated, just for a moment, he could rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal