Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Slowly Fading From the Misery [Goblin!]  (Read 930 times)

Offline Blink

Slowly Fading From the Misery [Goblin!]
« on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:27 pm »
It had never really occurred to Aspen how little she owned until she first arrived at the ATC. With nothing more than a bag full of clothes, Aspen remembered moving into her very first room. Even when she tested up to Stage 3 not much more had changed other than the fact that Havanah had gotten her a smaller sized keyboard. But now as she stuffed the last bit of her clothes in a bag Aspen realized she had so much more.

The 'My Little Donkey' figurines, the substantially grown lyric book, little knick knacks here and there that she had acquired from the experiences she never thought she would have. All of it obtained through finally reaching out to others. Aspen had always assumed she would achieve little in her lifetime, yet already she felt she had so much.

The next floor, the next stage... the next adventure. Who knew she would ever make it this far? Who knew what else she had to learn here?

Rounding the last corner in what seemed like an endless hallway Aspen passed a few rooms she had come to know in her time here. Beyond the doors lay memories that would stay with her for a lifetime, some deeper than others. It wasn't until she took a double take at her Com that Aspen realized what room she had actually been assigned to. In the last seconds Aspen dropped her bag just outside the door, standing in fear as her chip activated the door and caused it to open.

"Suprise?" A less than confident declaration to her new roommate as Aspen's ability flicked in an out.

Offline GoblinFae

Re: Slowly Fading From the Misery [Goblin!]
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:22:15 pm »
All Heather wanted to do when she got back from the library was take a shower and crawl into bed. With her mentor still healing up and shit hitting the fan with Matt again, she had taken to throwing herself into her studies. At least she could be useful in some way for once. Maybe then the ache in her chest would finally bleed itself away and she wouldn't feel like she was being eviscerated alive with each breath she took.

At least shower and bed had been the plan until she saw the door of her room open and a figure standing with their back to her in it. In her hand, her com lit up as a series of messages flashed across the screen. For several moments Heather stared wordlessly, her eyes darting between the screen and the lone figure as if looking would simply change it.

There were no verbal words for how much loathing Heather currently felt seeing Aspen there. But the words certainly flashed through the chat for all the candidates to see. Heather Bannister was beyond pissed, she was ready to kill. Breathing angrily, she shoulder her way past the other girl and bee-lined for her own bed. The headphones that had originally been around her neck were slammed over her ears as the books in her arms were tossed onto the bed and she stretched out in it. Her jaw was set in a fine line as she glared at Aspen over the top of her com screen.

This was not the quiet evening, Heather had asked for.

Offline Blink

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:18 am »
Not even an empath Aspen could feel the frustration radiating off of Heather. It was clear by the way she didn't even bother offering her any kind of words that she was less than pleased by this new housing arrangement. Glancing at her Com Heather had already begun complaining about her arrival. Fair is fair... Aspen did complain first.

Quickly it escalated from being called a princess to being accused of her presence bringing other unwelcome guests. It's not like it was Aspen's fault, she had no control over who would decide to pop in of their own free will.

Finally stepping in Aspen grabbed her bag and set it on the free bed, carefully placing her keyboard beside it before looking around. Heather's room looked a lot like hers did at the beginning of Stage 3. Nothing really there but books and headphones. But wait... didn't Heather hate music?

"Listen..." swallowing Aspen tried to muster the courage to say anything that may help ease the situation.  "I'm sorry." Instant regret hit her as the apology poured out. It was almost like being back at home, apologizing for something she had no control over. For a moment she wondered if this is what it was going to be like now. Be like she was back at home walking on eggshells and constantly trying to avoid any kind of conflict.

The knot was already tightening in her chest when Aspen felt her Com go off again. Pulling it back out she woke up the screen to see a message in chat that could only come from one person, Soleas. Immediately the knot uncurled, leaving Aspen feeling like she could breathe again. Funny how he wasn't even here and could make her feel like everything was going to be okay.

"If you think I'm a princess then I would hate to know what storybooks you were read as a child." A bold statement as Aspen let her Com fall on the bed, a small laugh making its way past her lips as she started unpacking her bag.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
Aspen received a withering glare from Heather the moment she opened her mouth. Was it really that hard of a concept to be silent and leave her alone? Why did everyone decide to make it their personal mission to harass her? There was no safety in the chat and now even less in her own personal sanctuary.

Up showed Matt and Heather felt her world crashing all over again. Her heart felt as if it was filled with raging fire as her thumbs pounded against the com's screen. And lo and behold there was Garza defending the shit, casting her aside again. Her only friend in this hell hole had found himself someone better and left her in the dust. But, of course she was the monster here.

"Princess," she hissed caustically, allowing her com to be tossed to the foot of the bed and her eyes to drill holes into Aspen's head. "You have no fuckin' clue where I come from but I can assure you next ta me you're a goddamn princess waiting for a prince to come save your little ass. I'm not lookin' for friends here. My rules are simple: leave me the fuck alone, keep quiet, and keep your loser friends away from me. Think you can handle that?"

Offline Blink

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »
Just as Aspen felt she had made some kind of ground it was quickly shoved back at her the moment Heather responded. She was right, Aspen did have no idea where Heather came from. But just as she was unaware so was Heather.

Another blow as Heather said all she could be was a princess waiting for a prince to come and save her. Was she really wrong? Up until a few weeks ago, that was exactly how things usually went. Aspen would fall and someone would come and pick her back up. She was also still failing Stage 3 at that point. But look at her now, Stage 4.

Mulling over the many things she could say Aspen was torn between giving Heather a piece of her mind or just letting it go. Halting the unpacking process Aspen turned towards her, shoving some clothes aside to set at the edge of her new bed.

Was she wearing headphones? Maybe she could find some common ground here, find something the two could actually talk about that didn't result in profanities being thrown back and forth. Yet despite searching for something to say Aspen was coming up shorthanded. Despite how far she had come she still couldn't muster the voice to say what she was really thinking.

"I'm sorry", more word vomit that instinctually poured out. "I'm sorry they made you have a roommate and I'm sorry it was me. I'm sorry I annoy you and I'm sorry that the very sound of my voice seems to piss you off." Pulling her hands into her lap Aspen fidgeted with her fingers.

"Still a mistake... still a burden... still me." Her own frustrated thoughts as Aspen thought of how horrible life in her dorm was bound to be now.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:11 pm »
Heather froze at those words. Insults and cruel names were something she could handle; she had heard those her whole life. They meant nothing, or so she often told herself. Apologies though were a new beast entirely and the Candidate did not know how to handle it as she continued to stare at Aspen coldly. Was Aspen just trying to pool the wool over her eyes? Was she trying to stab her in the back? Heather did not know. She was not sure she cared to know either.

With a huff she looked away from the new roommate in her life and shrugged dismissively. "Whatever, Princess. Do what you want. I don't fucking care," she informed the other girl as she took up one of her notebooks and attempted to focus on the words written within its lined pages.

It was no use though. She could still see her com light up with message after message though it was too far to read. She did not want to see what her so-called friend and his precious little Gracie were cooing over now. Or see how perfect Matt's little life was now that he was graduated and happy and a fucking Pilot. Her eyes still darted up each time it lit up before a scowl further marred her features. Heather pushed her headphones tighter onto her head hoping that if she did perhaps it would drown out her loud and obnoxious thoughts. No matter how far you ran though, you never could escape yourself.

Offline Blink

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:45:22 pm »
Another flinch as Heather called her Princess again. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Heather pick up a notebook, even noted how she had adjusted the headphones that Aspen had concluded weren't even hooked up to anything.

She tried funny, she tried nice, and she tried apologetic. Nothing seemed to get through to Heather that Aspen wasn't here to ruin her life.

Her fingers ceased movement as Aspen looked up at Heather. "You know what..."

Was she really about to do this?  Yep.

Pushing herself up off the bed Aspen turned around and began fumbling through her bag. Within seconds she had pulled out her own notebook, a few of her music players, headphones, pencils... everything. And just as quickly as she pulled them out she flung each item one by one towards Heather.

"... since you don't care I guess it's okay if I just put all my stuff on your bed too. I mean, after all, I am here to take everything over right? That is what princess's do right?" It was clear Aspen was agitated as she started picking up clumps of clothes and purposely started flinging them onto Heather's bed as well. In the end, all she had left was her keyboard, something she contemplated throwing over but chickened out in the end. The last thing she wanted was for Heather to break it.

"Bit of advice though I'm probably sure you don't care to hear it. There is more out there than what's in here." Aspen pointed at her temple, never raising her voice beyond slight agitation.

Okay, time to wait and die now because surely Heather was going to kill her.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 08:09:34 am »
She was oblivious to what Aspen was doing until an eraser made contact with her cheek. Heather flinched, ripping the headphones down around her neck as she scowled in disbelief. Her hands flew up to her face to protect it from further assaults even as she cursed and threw herself off the bed, her com scooped up as she went. She stood in the middle of the room, her chest heaving with her anxious breaths as she watched Aspen dump clothes and various other things onto her bed, invading her space.

"What the fuck is your fucking problem you freak?! Have you lost your fucking mind?!" she howled. Her shoulders were hunched forward as if expecting the other girl to suddenly start throwing more things at her person or worse, resorting to physical blows. What her new roommate could never know was that she had managed to trigger an old fear and memory in Heather. All her old defenses came to the forefront and all Heather wanted to do now was run. Run and never stop running until she could find a place to hide, to be safe, to seek sanctuary from cruel words and crueler hurts. But, this was her sanctuary. And now it was sanctuary no more.

With heaving breaths she gritted her teeth and stared at Aspen furiously. Her hands balled into white-knuckled fists though she flexed and released them soon enough. She would not fall into this pattern of violence. She had slugged Razican. She had slapped and hit Matt. She would not under any circumstances strike Aspen. Heather refused to stoop so low, to be her father, to be her mother.

"Clean. It. Up," she hissed through gritted teeth before spinning on her heel and locking herself in the shared bathroom with a mighty slam of the door. Once out of sight of the other woman, Heather allowed her walls to fall. Her whole body shook with anxiety and adrenaline. not wanting to be heard, and feeling too rattled to silence the bathroom without fear of blowing it up, Heather threw open the knobs for the faucet and the shower, letting the roar of the water soothe and deafen her.

Only then did she collapse to the cold, hard floor, her back against the toilet as she curled in on herself. Heather covered her mouth with her hands, her teeth digging into the back of her thumb as she fought to hold back and silence her shaking breaths. Her eyes burned though she swore she would not cry. Fuck Matt. Fuck Aspen. Fuck Garza and his precious little squeeze. Fuck them all! She didn't need them. And they most certainly didn't need her.

Flipping open her com again to distract her self only made it worse. There was Matt again talking about how he was going to come visit her roommate. Lovely.

Offline Blink

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 04:32:43 pm »
Freak

The word caused Aspen to flinch as if Heather had delt the heaviest of physical blows. It sent her into shock, almost how she felt every time a panic attack was about to strike... except it never did.

That agonizing feeling that everything was about to come crashing down lingered longer than Aspen could handle. She barely even recognized the last words that dripped from Heather's lips before she ran into the bathroom slamming the door behind her.

She wasn't quite sure what she was doing in there, maybe taking a shower? A quick look at her com before she flung it on her bed and looked at the mess she had created. With a heavy sigh, Aspen began gathering her things, moving them back to her side of the room like Heather asked.

When it was all said and done Aspen walked over to the bathroom door and slid down in front of it, pressing her back against it while she tried to figure out her next step. There was no way she could live like this... she needed to fix this.

"So..." Aspen rested her palms on the floor, tapping her fingers in a specific rhythm. "You know here it's not that hard to find out where other candidates are from. Basic info is pretty easy to find."

Her eyes wondered towards Heather's empty bed again, it really was uncanny how much it looked like her own back in Stage 2.

"So imagine how disappointing it is to find someone else from the lower levels like me and they want nothing to do with me." Another heavy sigh as Aspen pushed her head back against the door. "It makes sense... the silence thing. I always used music to drown it out, but I guess no noise at all works too."

"I guess what I'm trying to say Heather is that I get it."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:01:19 pm »
Heather growled and twisted to snatch up the closest thing at hand. A new roll of  toilet paper smacked solidly with the door in response to the sound of Aspen's voice. "You know nothing," she hissed darkly, standing to pace back and forth in the small space. Eventually she paused long enough to shut off the water before coming to stand before the sink, clutching the porcelain tightly as if it could steady her.

"Don't pretend you know me, Princess. I assure you, you won't want to in the end. What you see is what you get so fuck off. You all call me a bitch like it's a bad thing. I ain't lookin' for friends here, yo. Don't try to be one. I don't need your fucking pity and disappointment. 'Course I'm tryna get out of there. If you're really from there then you know why I want nuthin' to do with ya," she continued, her voice getting thicker with the uncultured accent of one who had grown up wandering streets for a living.

Offline Blink

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 02:42:27 pm »
To her dismay, Aspen rolled her eyes when Heather responded with more negativity. She really had tried everything, but apparently, some people just can't be talked to. A few things, in particular, caused an uncomfortable feeling to stir in her gut.

She let her finish, allowing a brief silence to fall while she stood back up on her side of the door. Everything just seemed to be growing heavier, that feeling slowly bubbling and making its way through Aspen's veins. So this was what it felt like to be that angry. Of course Aspen got rattled from time to time, especially in the candidate chat a time or two. However, when it came to actual words coming from real lips Aspen had always just tucked tail and ran. Well except with Sol, but then again was she ever really mad at him?

Violins were always nice. Such beautiful instruments with an even more beautiful sound. Well except in that dire moment when even the slightest amount of too much pressure caused the bowstrings to just... snap.

"You're right! I know nothing! Just how you know nothing about me!" It all happened so fast Aspen hadn't even realized she picked up the textbook, much less hurled it at the door in a fit of rage.

"And you would be lucky to have my pity and disappointment! That would mean I actually see you as something capable of any kind of feelings or emotion other than just straight up hate! You're just as bad as them! Just as bad as whoever in the hell made you this way! You let them make you into this and you let them keep you this way!"

A pang of guilt struck at her last words, making Aspen almost regret saying anything at all. However, after a deep breath, she decided to stand by her statement and instead grabbed her Com, typing in a quick message before grabbing her pillow in one arm and keyboard in the other. She'd rather sleep in the fucking hall than spend one more second with this miserable person. Her negativity was contagious and Aspen would be damned if she let someone like that bring out the worst in her for another second.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »
The Candidate flinched violently at the thud of the book against the door. It was a relief that Aspen could not see the moment of weakness though. Heather's whole body shook with her rage and frustration. Aspen's words were ringing in her ears and as much as she wanted to shove them out of her head, they latched on with their little claws and burrowed in deep.

She was a monster. She was just as bad, no moreso than her father and those bullies. They had been the tools that had molded her into this and yet she was the one that kept herself locked so tight in her prison of fury and fear. This was all her doing and she knew it. Matt had tried to be good to her and she had thrown it in his face. Razican, her own mentor, had be nothing but patient with her and she continued to rage against him and anyone else that got in her way. Aspen was just another victim of the bitchmobile.

With a vicious growl, Heather spun on her heel, com in one hand and other yanking the door open to scream some more face to face with Aspen only to find the other girl gone. A glance at her com confirmed with the other Candidate had gone. "Coward," she hissed aloud before taking in the state of their dorm room.

With every muscle in her body tensed and firing to cause destruction and violence, Heather very slowly and carefully collected all of Aspen's discarded things from her bed and floor. One by one, pencils, notebooks, books, and all the other oddball and useless trinkets were piled neatly onto Aspen's bed for the other Candidate to deal with later. The purple-haired woman wanted nothing more than to throw them all down the drain or smash them to smithereens or to even set them ablaze and watch plastic melt into caustic fumes. She did none of these things though.

Instead she picked a fight with Garza, her one and only friend. It was like it was the only thing she was good at. Heather could hurt those she cared about most  simply because she could. She could not let them in so she was compelled to break them so they hurt as much as she did. He was on his way regardless though and for several moments Heather considered leaving anyway. Doing that though meant walking passed Aspen and she was still too furious with the other girl to want to see her wretched, ugly face right then.

When the big man arrived, she slammed the door closed again with a heavy bang before erecting the best shields she could manage. Razican would be so proud. Then and only then did she start to lay into Garza, screaming to her heart's content about how he was a terrible friend for having abandoned her, for choosing an easy piece of tail over the friend that had been there from near the beginning. He had been calm as always, letting her vent her steam before dragging her into a hug and a long quiet talk.Heather did not bring Matt up, it was not something she felt Garza should know but still that seed festered within her as it had for days now. He left most likely feeling happier for their discussion though Heather could only feel numb and weary.

With a tired sigh she lingered in the doorway after Garza had left and watched Aspen click quietly along the whites and blacks of her keyboard. "Come on in, Princess. The bloodbath has ended," she tiredly informed the girl before retreating to her bed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal