Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Eat My Playlist [Goblin!]  (Read 2806 times)

Marakai2.0

Re: Eat My Playlist [Goblin!]
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 04:36:18 pm »
He sat, watching intently, feeling the gentle ebbing of sonic energy as it was slowly released.

They'd been working for, what, ten minutes? And she'd already done what he'd managed in a couple weeks. He was impressed - If she continued at this rate, she could be at his level before she even graduated.

This pleased him greatly, a broad smile on his face, even as she slumped forward in her chair, her face covered in a sheen of sweat. "It gets easier, I promise."

He noticed, though, the tangled remains of sonic energy still surrounding her and within her pulsing erratically, demanding to be let free. Slightly concerned, he stood up, moving behind her and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Just relax. You command it, it doesn't command you. If its too much to hold, just release it, and I'll catch everything that I can. And...then we'll work on not absorbing every sound that bumps into you, eh?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 07:57:35 pm »
Heather tensed at his touch, her shoulder muscles becoming rock-like beneath his hand. Inside she reached for another strand and tried to repeat her earlier feat. Her breathing became more labored under the strain of it but, little by little she was able to spool it it out. That control quickly receded though as the energy came pooling out of her too fast for her to contain it. The more she struggled to contain it, the harder it tore through her.

Instinctively, the young woman through up a form of shield about both of them a second before she completely lost the battle of control. A cacophony of horrible sounds crashed together making her ears screamed. If it had not been for her shield she was sure her bones would have been severely bruised and aching for days.

That had been the result of her first attempt at unraveling the energy sink she had created. Heather had been too embarrassed at the time to tell anyone and so had suffered the excruciating full-body experience locked up in her room and even skipping classes until standing was a possibility once again.  It was not something she wished upon anyone, not even her worst enemy.

With everything expelled, Heather found herself completely doubled over and coughing for air. Her shield snapped down as she clutched the table and dry heaved. It had felt like her organs had been squeezed flat between two pieces of glass until there was nothing left of them. If this is what having control felt like then Heather was not an advocate for it in the least.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 06:50:15 am »
All that Raz knew at that point in time was, it could have been so much worse. The maelstrom of raw sound she released had very nearly been beyond his own ability to redirect, and he had to wonder just how long she'd been collecting all this noise, and how long it'd just been swirling around and within her. The individual waves of sound were such a tangled mess, he was unable to identify what the sounds originally were.

He knew this, of course, because even as she released it all, he was attempting to gather as much of it as he could. These were no longer the clean, slightly curved waves of sound he was familiar with. If she hadn't shielded them, and if he hadn't redirected some of that energy with his own influence, the consequences could have been much more severe.

This was chaos.

When it was over, and she was slumped over the table and retching, he looked down at her with a worried, sympathetic gaze. He'd been in her shoes, on a couple occasions, especially during his candidacy. Overuse of this power, whether purposely or by accident, could ravage the physical makeup of a person. He was pleased, however, that her dry heaving was, in fact, dry - a number of his accidents ended up with him throwing up blood being bed ridden for a number of days.

In order to safely disperse the sonic energy he'd pulled from her, he'd need to let it out over a course of time...and he thought he knew exactly how to do that.

"....take what time you need, Heather. This is the worst part. When you're feeling up to it, I want to try something else, okay?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:16 am »
She groaned, squeezing her eyes shut against the discomfort. "No, it's not," she grumbled hoarsely. "Getting TRIM'd is the worst part." Slowly, she sat back up again and tilted her head back to peek over to him. "You really are all they blow you up to be, aren't you? Fuck me," Heather groaned, "I'm going to have to stop talking shit about you now that I know you can do that, aren't I?"

Weakly she gathered her sweaty strands of hair up off her neck and tied them into a haphazard ponytail. Her body still felt like it was strung out after an all holds barred match with a fleet of dragons. Wiping her sweaty palms on her trousers she finally took a shaky breath and nodded her head to her mentor. "What did you have in mind, bossman?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 05:32:08 am »
"Getting TRIM'd should always be the very least of your concerns," he said, meeting her gaze, his own eyes growing hard as they narrowed. "Don't think about failure; if you're thinking about it, you're starting to plan for it. And worrying about it, and really anything at all, isn't going to help you learn control."

He sighed a bit, and averted his gaze. "Listen. You know full well by now how important control is. As a sonokinetic, the first person in danger of getting hurt by your power is yourself. I'm sure they've been teaching you methods to keep a clear head, and I want you to practice those more. And, uh...look. I don't know, or even really care about what they say about me. I'm just a Pilot, and your mentor. Just worry about that, 'kay?"

When he glanced toward her again, it was with a small smile. "So. What I want to work on is something relatively simple. Instead of drawing in the sound around you as a means of silencing it, I want you to try and push the soundwaves away. Feel the ripples, before you can hear them, and direct them away. If they don't reach your ears, you won't hear them...and you won't draw them to you. This way, you won't be straining yourself, holding a charge all the time."

At this, he stepped around the table again, and sat in front of her. "I'll let this charge out just a little at a time. Let me know when you're ready. Oh, and drop the 'Sir', and the 'Bossman.' Just call me Raz."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:04:08 am by Marakai2.0 »

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 02:42:03 pm »
Heather stared back skeptically. She felt drained dry and yet he wanted to push forwards as if nothing had just happened. It was no surprise that most Sonokinetics got TRIM'd, if this was how hard and fast they were pushed to excel.

"Simple he says," she griped, dragging her legs up onto the seat so she could sit up straight and cross-legged. "Whatever you say, Chief. Whatever you say." Heather smirked, knowing she was pushing buttons and not giving a damn whatsoever. She was exhausted beyond belief and if she had to suffer then so would he.

She rolled her neck again and sighed. "Hit it, Raz! Do your worst," she added in a low mumble. So much for their first meeting just being a little talk.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 04:00:07 pm »
"Yes, simple. You're a sonokinetic. Simply moving soundwaves is step one." He arched a brow, crossing his arms over his chest and tapping his fingers on his forearm. "And 'Chief' counts, too. Unless you want me to call you my 'apprentice' or something."

He rolled his eyes, a small grin cracking his face. He tipped his chair backward on two legs again, one foot resting on the edge of the table. "Look. This is eezy-peezy. Just push, don't even grab. All right, here goes."

He raised his hand, the sonic charge he carried again coalescing into a bead over his hand. A low, almost harmonious sound began to fill the room, not entirely unpleasant to hear.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 07:41:27 pm »
"No I'm a sound sink but thanks for playing! And man you've got to work on your threats because apprentice sounds fucking badass!"

Despite her exhaustion, Heather smirked knowingly. If anyone knew how to push buttons it was her. She was the queen of piss the world off, just ask Candidate favourite Matt. She was distracted from her line of thought though as Razican let loose that pure, sweet note. Heather felt it brush against her a gentle butterfly's wing against her cheek. She hated it.

The sound was sucked into her and immediately ceased. With a sigh, she gritted her teeth and tried to volley it back to him. Seventeen years of absorbing sound had not made it easy for her to just switch overnight to bouncing back. The note zinged back, louder and faster.

"It's so much easier to just keep it all in," she whined, slumping forward some. "Why can't I just keep doing that?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:56 pm »
Hearing her telepathic message, he smirked. He decided to reply audibly, "I'm sure I could always decide on another, cornier nickname for you. I also have access to the candidate chat, so everyone else could know it, too."

When the soundwave initially got pulled around and into her, he frowned - that would have to be something that they would work on.

But when it again emerged, amplified and at a higher pitch, he grinned. "Okay, good. But the reason you don't want to pull everything in, is that eventually when you go to release everything...well, to be blunt, it can seriously injure, or even kill you. Low-frequency sound, that is, the sound we can hear normally, can be devastating. But you know that."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 06:41:25 am »
"And that's why I use the water. It naturally dampens the soundwaves along with slowing them therefore providing a natural safety buffer for myself and others. If I can hold onto it long enough what's the big issue with sucking it all in? Buffering is far more energy taxing to uphold in the long run because it means a constant shield to ping against."

Heather shrugged and rolled her eyes. "This is a waste of time when I already know what I'm doing and how to effectively manage it. I thought your job was to teach me something new and useful. Oh and by the way, I highly doubt you could come up with a name bad enough to embarrass me. The other Candidates already think me a bitch. Not much worse you could do. Is that all now? Are we done here?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 05:44:50 am »
"The issue with using water to disperse sound is the echo. I doubt there's any around anymore, but long ago, whales would communicate underwater using sound. Their calls would travel for miles through the water - it's less effective at dispersing sounds than you would think. So...what do you think would happen if you released a potentially fatal amount of sonic energy, attempting to relieve the charge, only to have the echo wreak havoc on your insides?"

Raz crossed his arms over his chest, levelling a cool stare at her, his face grim. "Look. Go to the library sometime soon, plug your com into a terminal, and download all the digital books on sonic energy research. There's alot you apparently don't know, and I'm guessing you're smart enough to pick at least some of the information up. Read through them, and practice what we've gone over today."

He arched a brow, and tilted his head to one side. "Before we quit for the day, is there anything you have questions about?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:19 am »
"Whales?" She repeated skeptically with a raised brow. "Well I'd blow up and no one else would. I'm sure it'd make plenty people happy here so what's the big deal? Oy! Some?! That's a bit rude don't you think?" Heather huffed and rolled her eyes at being given such a potentially boring list of things to do. Mentally though she did find herself feeling a bit excited. Maybe there was something new to learn. At the very least she could read about whales. That was a topic she had not thus far explored into.

When he asked if she had any questions though, she stilled and eyed him intently. It was only now just starting to sink in that this was real. She was a Stage 4 now and she had a mentor who actually seemed to be serious about her. She was not just some problem of his to push along. He was truly invested in her. Heather found herself blurting that out without thought. "Why? You're actually serious about this. You want me to succeed. Why?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 06:06:04 pm »
"Chill out, Heather. I say some, because there's alot to read. Some of it is fact, some of it is theory, and some of it is bullshit movie stuff. You'll find out for yourself, trust me." He smirked, and leaned down to pick up and reorganize her files.

As he did, she answered his question, and his hand ceased all movement, last page in hand. For a moment, he stared at it, skimming through it.

Information about her childhood. His eyes squeezed shut for a moment, before he replaced the page back in the file folder, and lifted it to set it on the tabletop.

"You know...for the longest time, the ATC was all I had. I had nothing even vaguely good to look back on. Barely any memory of my family, no friends that I could remember, nothing. All I could do was look forward, because behind was...darkness."

He stood, staring down at the folder on the table. "So I had only two things to look forward to. Either graduating, and becoming a Pilot, and being able to learn some things about myself...or, giving up, failing, and getting TRIM'd. I didn't want to be TRIM'd."

At this point, he began walking towards the door. He stopped just in front of it, before turning to look over his shoulder. "I see some of that in you. Like I said, I didn't want to be TRIM'd. Do you?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
She heard the pain in his voice. She could practically taste the darkness of whatever had made him the man he was today. It was not her business to know what, but Heather recognized it as familiar to her own pain. Yes it was true that she was a bit of a mouthy troublemaker but it was all a cover for the fear encased so tightly about her heart.

As he walked past her and turned the question on her, Heather's heart raced within her chest. Her eyes shuttered closed as she fought back memories and fears. Every candidate had the fear of TRIM hanging over their heads. Some of them did not have that noose tied so tightly about their throats already though. And Heather felt it every day since she first walked through those doors.

With her breath hitched in her throat and tears threatening to fall and make a fool of her, she hook her head and sent him her answer. "No. No, I do not, Raz." She glanced back over her shoulder at him and nodded her head once in solidarity and thanks.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 06:35:45 pm »
He saw the wetness in her eyes, and knew that he had hit the mark, or at least fairly close to it. This admission to her, however vague as it was, was alot for him. He was glad, though, that it had the intended effect.

"Good. So...work on those things we talked about, and I'll see you next weekend. My contact information should have already been loaded into your com, so don't hesitate to call or send me a text if you've got any questions. Otherwise, I'll see you next weekend, probably Saturday. Keep out of trouble till then, yeah?" He smirked at her, turning away and throwing a hand up in a half-assed wave.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 07:23:50 pm »
Heather nodded and waved him off, only letting out her pained breath once the door had closed behind him. It was a while before she felt composed enough to leave the room and even then she was a little shaky and very subdued.

That night Heather dove headlong into the requested studies. She stayed up into the wee hours of the morning reading everything and anything she could get her hands on. Some things she knew, some she understood, and still others sent her head spinning. Of course every paper she read had a million more references to read further.

In the end she ended up falling asleep on the floor surrounded by her own handwritten notes.  The following days were all the same. Heather finally felt like she had a chance at achieving something. She finally had someone who really believed in her and she was not about to give that up even if it killed her. She was not going to be another someone's greatest disappointment and disgrace. Especially not when she already felt like one big shipwreck just seconds away from plummeting into the atmosphere.

Practicing what he had been working on with her proved to be a much harder task. Her first attempt came on Monday and she blew up the sink. Razican had received a frantic set of messages then from her, trying to explain she was still serious and it was not her being rebellious again as she was sure he was going to be contacted about her "poor" behavior again.

And so the two weeks passed until it was Friday again and Heather found herself early and waiting for her mentor to arrive at their designated spot. She was not about to be accused of being the late one this time. Especially not when there were things to learn.

Her thoughts though were not on her lessons and her practice. She was not even as excited as she had felt earlier int he week. All she wanted to do was curl up  into a ball and hide away from the world. Heather wished she was six years old again, alone in her room with her stuffed spranger and fighting to drown out the sounds of her father drunkenly screaming at the television. She wished for times when things were simpler and she knew who and what she was, when she did not care what anyone had to say about her existence and she was independent and strong. How could her younger self be so much better off than she was now when she was on the road to having it all?

Heather could not help but curse herself for her stupidity, for letting herself be vulnerable and exposed to someone who did not deserve to see her weak soul bared before him. Sex was just sex so why was she falling apart at the seams so easily? Everyone did it, especially here where the stress and loneliness of the gilded cage weighed heavily upon their shoulders. But, for the life of her, Heather could not understand the tangled mess she had become. She wanted to rage and scream. She wanted to hide and weep. All of it made her feel like a child with no sense in the world and yet despite it all she had to pretend to be okay.

She worried about what her mentor would think of her if he knew how unstable she really was, if he would even notice how distracted she was from what really mattered. Perhaps he would take her sullen mood as just part of who she was, everyone else did. But, what she feared most of all is that he would see right through her. So there she sat curled up in a chair being torn apart by teenage angst as a heavy brooding silence weighed down upon the room like a dark rain cloud.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »
The week following the first meeting with his Candidate went - mostly - as usual. Save for the activities immediately after Raz met Heather, once he'd reached Jexica's building, it was business as usual.

Wake up. Run. Eat. Excercise. Drill. Sleep. Repeat, every day, unless a mission came up. Drills for that week had included a sunburn and stealth one day, and hunting for his fellow squad members the rest of the week. At times, it was fun, giving him a chance to think outside of the training he'd had for a good chunk of his life and apply critical thinking to something he'd never trained for.

Other times, it was just plain frustrating. But, each experience is its own reward, right?

But come the weekend, Razican again found himself in Haviah, dressed in his usual attire as he made his way through the ATC to meet with his Candidate once again.

He was surprised when the door slid open, and he saw her there already. Raz was used to being the early one to almost everything, and yet here she was, before him, and he was fifteen minutes early. It was a welcome change from her lateness the week before.

But he noticed as soon as he entered the room, that something was off. His footsteps made no sounds, he couldn't hear her heartbeat or her breathing, or even his own.

For a moment, he just let it be. She was a teenaged girl - all teenagers were expected to be thrown through all their emotional roller coasters, and even as a boy he had been no different. But, when he sat in front of her and set a bag on the table, he happened to glance up to see her face.

".....Okay, the sink wasn't that big of a deal. What's wrong, my young apprentice?" he joked, making some kind of attempt at lightening the apparent mood of the room. "I didn't get any notifications that you'd managed to turn a swimming pool into a crater, so I'm guessing you didn't blow something up. So what gives?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »
Her eyes flicked up to his face heatedly. If looks could kill then Razican would have been the first to know it. Heather's were red and had dark circles beneath them from long nights of study and practice just to drown out memories of her one special night. She sighed deeply, reaching out a hand and closing it in a fist as she sucked in the field of muffled silence she had created.

"I didn't blow anything else," she confirmed, unwilling to look at him. Heather did not know whether to tell him the truth or not. She barely knew him. But, if she did not talk to him then who could she tell? Garza was busy with his new "Gracie," Matt was gone along with being part of the problem, and it was not like she had any other friends. She really was so terribly alone.

Heather's heart squeezed at the painful truth and she buried her face against her pulled up knees. In for a credit, in for a thousand: if he could not like what he heard then he could leave. Razican had earned her respect and maybe it was too soon but it was time that he started to earn her trust.

"It's personal," she finally whispered. "I did something I shouldn't have and now I...regret it. I could have ruined everything for him." Her voice cracked as she fought back tears of frustration. "And I'm such an idiot! I let my stupid fool heart get involved and I don't even have anyone to talk to about it and-," her voice hitched up an octave as she spoke faster and the tears broke loose on her. "I'm here blubbering like a baby and am just pathetic and now you're going to leave me like everyone else-" the rest of what she had to say was cut off and muffled by her uncontrollable sobs that were about more than just Matt.

It was everything that had happened to her and everything she had ever feared. For the first time in her life Heather was truly facing some of her buried emotions and as they came to life inside her mind she found herself completely falling apart and unable to stop herself from unraveling.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »
Raz levelled his gaze right back at her, not at all afraid of the tired glare she offered him. He'd stared death in the face far too many times for whatever kind of threat those eyes held for him, and he wasn't backing down now.

The look she gave him had him at first feeling like she was going to lash out at him about something, and he was prepared to let her rant and rave at him until she'd spent all she had, to let her calm down before they started working. The words she let out, though, surprised him.

"Hey, whoa, slow down a minute, Heather." He offered a small grin, folding his arms on the table and leaning forward. "Look. I'm not going anywhere. I'm your mentor, and I intend to see you through to the end, even if it means a meeting or two is spent just dealing with problems." He grinned a bit, lifting one arm to rest his cheek on, leaning on one elbow.

"I'm here. And you've got my number. I'm here to help, however I can. You can talk to me, if you need to....and it sounds to me you got your heart mixed into something it can't get untangled from."

As she buried her face in her knees, Raz stood, leaving her gift abandoned on the table. He stepped around to her side, and gently set a hand on her shoulder.

"Look. You want someone to listen, I'm here. And I'll be up front about this: I won't judge. I've got my own slew of problems I gotta live with, and it might just be that I can relate a little. So, why not try and get this off your chest?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:27 pm »
"You say that now," she hissed though the venom in the statement was purely out of self-defense. Heather hated feeling this weak and vulnerable in front of anyone. It was the second time this week alone and she did not know what to do about it. It was too late to turn back now though. Poor woman was shaking like a leaf against a fierce wind.

With her face still buried in her knees she mumbled, "I had sex with Matt fucking Wright as a stupid birthday pity fuck. Seemed like such a good idea at the time too." Heather sniffled and shook her head. "So stupid! I just feel so raw now, so empty and exposed. I don't want to feel like this anymore!" she shouted, her hands balling into fists that banged against her thighs. "Why does it hurt so much? I don't even love him, hell I don't even like him and now it feels like he can see right through me, like he's seen my soul.

"How could I be so stupid?" she sobbed, her whole body feeling as if it was being completely drained of all that she was. A low hum began to fill the room again as her abilities reacted  unconsciously in the face of her distress. "Bastard's become a Pilot his first day as a Stage 5 and I'm still stuck in this hell going insane. It wasn't supposed to mean anything. It was just sex for fuck's sake. Good sex even so why the fucking fuck am I falling apart like a fucking Gracie?" Heather hiccuped as she struggled to breathe through all of her shuddering sobs and the sudden pressure beginning to weigh down on her chest. Her heart started to race out of control and the silent pressure in the room began to grow to physically noticeable levels. "Why do I feel so weak?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal