Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: How She Met His Mother [Blink]  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Zero Undead

How She Met His Mother [Blink]
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:54:26 am »
If Alec was nervous about tonight’s dinner there wasn’t a hint of it to be found. All his preparations were relaxed and methodical. Getting ready for dinner was almost a soothing ritual he was so precise in the way he went about it. Everything from ironing his blue silk shirt to polishing his black dress shoes was done with a serene peace.

They were only going to one of the most expensive and exclusive restaurants in the city to have dinner with his mother. Maybe most people would be nervous introducing their significant other to one of their parents for the first time, but not Alec. He wasn’t worried in the slightest about how the evening would go. Havanah was from a much lower caste than his family, but he had no doubt that his mother would adore her. Why wouldn’t she? His lover was radiant and amazing. He’d already told his mother as much and she was super excited to meet his girlfriend.

Speaking of his loving girlfriend, Alec was looking over himself in the bedroom mirror; adjusting his diamond cufflinks and making sure looked perfect; all because Havanah was hogging the bathroom while she got ready.

Not that he minded too much.

It had taken a while for Alec to notice that his apartment was a lot fuller than it used to be, but once he had he’d been a bit pleased. Sure, technically Havanah had her own apartment, but more and more of her things had somehow found their way into his home. They weren’t officially living together, but she spent most of her time here and the majority of her things were here.

That pleased him more than it probably should.

“Havanah, sweetheart, are you almost finished? We have to be at Bar Toro in less than an hour, it wouldn’t do being late to meet my mother.” He adjusted his tie one last time and pulled a velvet covered case from its hiding place under the mattress. Normally he’d have hidden it in a dresser drawer, but she’d have found it there.

Holding the jewelry case behind his back, Alec moved into the bathroom, coming up behind Havanah and putting his free arm around her until she her back was pressed against him. She looked amazing in the dress she’d bought just for the occasion. Of course he thought she looked amazing all the time.

“Mm. You’re making me hungry for something other than fancy sushi.” His voice was low and husky as he kissed her neck softly. Havanah was really good at making him hungry.

Offline Blink

Re: How She Met His Mother [Blink]
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:16:04 pm »
So it all had come down to this. Havanah was leaned into Alec's mirror, staring into her own pale eyes as she replayed everything that had led up to this moment. And now, she could feel her heart about to beat out of her chest as each second passed by.

Taking a deep breath she pushed off the sink, tucking a stray ringlet that had slipped from the pulled up curls she managed to create behind her ear. For the millionth time, she looked herself over, tugging at the black dress that clung to her body. On any other occasion Havanah would be damn proud of the look she had managed to put together, yet tonight she wondered if she still looked like lower caste trash.

What if she wasn't good enough? What if she held the sushi sticks wrong or slurped instead of swallowed? Her ears flushed red at the very thought of all the embarrassing things she could accidentally do in front of the one woman she wanted to impress more than anything. This was by far the most nervous she had ever been, even more so than every time she ever took a test in candidacy.

Alec's voice echoed from the bedroom. Havanah couldn't help but let a sliver of a smile creep up on her when he called her sweatheart, only to vanish when he mentioned being late to meet his mother. Again she was tucking the stray ringlet behind her ear when he appeared.

Somehow though, the moment Alec wrapped his arm around her and she could feel him against her back she calmed. Something about him just being there seemed to make everything vanish. It was just Havanah and Alec. No impending mother meeting or other things she would normally stress over... just them.

Rolling her neck she exposed more skin as he lightly kissed her neck. Here he was telling her that she made him hungry for more, almost like he had taken the words out of her own mouth. Alec made Havanah always want more, more everything.

"Maybe we can work on satisfying that hunger with dessert later." She winked at him through the mirror.

All joking aside Havanah fell serious again. "What if she hates me?"

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:27:17 am »
 “Definitely.” Alec agreed, blue eyes twinkling mischievously and lips curled into a roguish grin as he stared into their reflection. Oh he planned on enjoying quite a lot of dessert later; all those devilish thoughts clearly reflecting through his expression as he swept his eyes up and down what he could see of her through the mirror. The dress really did look stunning on her, it was almost too slutty to be appropriate for dinner with his mother.

Almost.

A soft snort escaped him as he peppered her lovely neck with a few more kisses and nibbles, hardly able to control himself – he’d always had poor control around her. Thankfully she was as eager as he was most of the time.

“Don’t be silly, Havanah. Mother is going to adore you, just like I adore you.” His voice was a low growl against the tender skin just below and behind her ear.

Time was slipping away, they’d be late if he let himself get distracted, so Alec reluctantly pulled his lips away from her and smiled impishly as he brought the jewelry case from behind his back. Holding it in both hands in front of her now, he popped the large container open to reveal a diamond encrusted necklace and bracelet set.

“I got you a little something for the occasion, was hoping that you’d wear them tonight for me.” The expensive baubles had nothing to do with impressing his mother. Alec knew she was nervous about being born from a low caste, but to him it didn’t matter at all.

Havanah was precious to him in a way no one else had been before her. She was a beautiful, wonderful woman that deserved beautiful and wonderful things.

“Do you like them?” Alec was already planning to spoil her for as long as she would let him.

Offline Blink

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:04:49 pm »
It was hard to have any kind of reaction to what Alec had said with his lips touching her neck like that. In fact, if they weren't due to meet his mother for dinner Havanah would have already ripped that beautifully tailored jacket right off of him. Even with that, the thought was still there and Havanah found herself biting her lip to keep those urges in check.

By now her eyes had closed as she leaned back into him, torturing herself with his voice so close to the tenderest parts of her neck. When he did pull his lips away Havanah found herself opening her eyes and staring at the most beautiful necklace and bracelet set she had ever seen. It quite literally took her breath away as she lifted a hand to cover her mouth that had dropped open.

Instinctually Havanah could feel her eyes begin to burn as tears welled behind them. It wasn't because of how beautiful the set was (though it didn't help either) but because Alec had gone out of his way to get her something. No one had ever given her something so extravagant before.

"I-I love them" she choked, her hand still covering her mouth as her eyes shot back and forth from the jewelry to Alec's reflection. "Will you put them on me?"

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 09:34:26 am »
What a beautiful reaction, better than he’d even dared hoped. Alec’s mouth split in a huge grin that lit up his whole face. Part of him had been worried that she would reject them with excuses of them being too much or too expensive. Happiness welled up inside him as she declared that she loved them, and even more as she asked him to put them on her.

He set the box down on the counter, lifting the necklace from the velvet cushions Alec gently pulled the glittering strands around her neck, fixing the clasp and allowing his fingers to linger in their soft brushing against the skin of her neck and shoulders.

A soft kiss was placed on the back of her neck before he took her by the wrist and turned her around to face him. He reached for the bracelet and secured it around her wrist before pulling it up to place another kiss against her pulse. Alec thought he might never get tired of kissing her, but he was teetering dangerously close to letting himself become distracted.

“We should go.” Alec leaned in to press a quick kiss against her lips before stepping back completely. He let out a sigh that sounded almost regretful. Meeting his mother for dinner had been his idea, so he supposed he shouldn’t complain.

Offline Blink

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 01:43:41 pm »
The cool metal on her skin caused Havanah to take in a deep breath and goose bumps to form down her spine. Or maybe it was just the sight of such beauty... or maybe just Alec brushing her neck like that. Either way, his kiss only caused that feeling to intensify.

She offered little resistance when Alec spun her around to clasp the bracelet around her wrist. Again at either the touch of the metal or Alec, the goosebumps came, sending a chill through her.

"Mhmm" she mumbled just before he kissed her. Her own sigh mirroring his own at the regret they had to leave right now.

"Don't want to keep your mother waiting" Havanah smiled. She turned to look herself over in the mirror one more time, tucking the same stray ringlet behind her ear for what felt like the thousandth time before following Alec out.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 07:52:19 am »
With them both dressed to impress there really was nothing left to use as a stalling tactic. Alec had called for a private car to pick them up and take them to Bar Toro. It wasn’t something he did often, but no way was Havanah walking anywhere dressed up like that. He couldn’t imagine those shoes were comfortable.

The trip was short and mostly spent in silence. Both of them probably had a lot on their minds, but Alec held her hand, gently rubbing a thumb over her warm skin. When they pulled up in front of the restaurant he got out and then offered his hand to help her out as well.

Part of him was afraid not to be holding her hand, least she try to run away. He knew how nervous she was about meeting his mother, but he also knew that Havanah was tough and took no shit from anyone – and he expected as much even in the face of his own mother. She was going to knock this meeting out of the park.

“We’ve got a table for three, under the name Holding.” Alec informed the host with a smile as they entered.

“Of course Pilot Holding, the other member of your party has already been seated, right this way.” Still holding hands, they followed to a table with a great view, where an aging but still quite elegantly beautiful woman was seated. She had long black hair and piercing blue eyes, you could see the family resemblance quite clearly.

Nadine Holding was well into her seventies, but she rose gracefully from her chair with a beaming smile to greet them. Alec let go of Havanah’s hand so he could step forward and hug his mother, they kissed cheeks before he stepped back with a huge grin.

“Mother, this is Pilot Echo Havanah Brookes.” Alec smiled and put his arm around Havanah, looking down at her with complete adoration. “Havanah, this is my mother, Nadine Holding.”

“Oh look at you, aren’t you just pretty as a picture! Alec’s done nothing but brag about you to me for months.” She stepped forward and took both of her hands, flashing the same smile that Alec had so many times. “Come, have a seat. Tell me all about yourself.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:41 am »
The entire ride there Havanah was fighting nerves. She found herself comparing this feeling to how she felt every time she took a stage test during Candidacy, except this was almost worse. Alec was helping though, holding her hand the entire way kept her grounded. It kept her mind where it should be, reminding her this was all for him.

When they had finally arrived she happily took his hand, giving it an extra squeeze as they walked inside Bar Toro. Funny how he had made so many attempts to get her here before, and now here they were. Havanah was silent as they walked to the table, too busy keeping herself calm for words. However, another part of her nerves fell away when she saw Nadine for the first time.

Those eyes, the same eyes that made warmth grow every time she looked at Alec were there. In fact, the two shared a lot of the same features but none as distinct as those blues. Something about them made her feel better.

"Nice to meet you" she smiled as Nadine took her hands and asked her to sit.

Quickly Havanah looked over her shoulder at Alec, giving him a petrified look before taking a seat next to his mother. Apparently, he had been talking about her for months and now all she could think about was every single time she had done anything that would be embarrassing to someone like Nadine Holding.

"Alec has talked about you too... He was very lucky to have such a wonderful mother from what I have heard." Havanah knew how important having such a great influence in your life was. Her own mother was everything to her. Without her, there was no way she would be who she was now. In fact, she would probably be more like Aspen in that sense without her.

Now onto the subject of telling her everything about herself. Havanah was sure she didn't want to know it all. Nadine didn't need to know how she was obsessed with Notepad or how she and Alec bonded over whipped cream. She didn't need to know that Havanah liked to dance around his apartment in nothing but one of his shirts from time to time. Nope, all of those things were things she 'didn't' need to know.

"I'm really not that interesting." Havanah let out a nervous giggle as she looked at Alec. "Just your ordinary everyday Inquiry Officer."

"Help" a psychic message just for Alec as she glanced at him again.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 06:30:36 am »
Alec could feel the nervousness and near panic rolling off of Havanah in waves. Honestly he was proud of just how well she was hiding it as she took a seat next to his mother. He took the seat beside her and as the mental plea danced cross his mind he moved a hand under the table and gently squeezed her thigh in a reassuring way. Maybe also just because he loved touching her.

”You’re doing great, baby. Stop worrying, she already adores you.” He flashed her a secretive grin, eyes practically on fire with his amusement and admiration.

“Not that interesting?” Nadine scoffed lightly, shooting a look between them, aware they could, and probably were, communicating without her knowledge. “Dear, you’re a woman who is dating my youngest son. Not only dating, but has him completely enamored. I’ve heard nothing but wonderful things about how beautiful, smart, funny, or strong you are. So I would say I find you very interesting!”

Alec leaned forward slightly, smirking at his mother. “Havanah is being very modest, she’s amazing, but you know she can’t really discuss work with you.”

“Oh of course, I understand, but what about your family? Could you tell me a little about them? Are you from Haviah originally? I’d love to know about your upbringing.” Nadine knew she was prying a little, but under the circumstances felt she had a right to be curious about a woman her son seemed fairly committed to spending his life with at this point in time.

“Havanah, baby, tell mother about how amazing your sister is doing at the ATC. She’ll love hearing about it.” He smiled at her gently and squeezed her leg lightly again.

Offline Blink

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:10:10 pm »
Her eyes softened when Alec told her to stop worrying. However, when Nadine spoke again she turned her attention back on her. As she went on about how Alec had talked about her Havanah found herself blushing, the heat in her cheeks flushing all the way down to her neck.

But then the family was brought up and all those warm and mushy feelings vanished.

"I uh..." she was lost for words as she tried to think of how to describe her 'family'. Alec brought her back into focus when he squeezed her leg again.

"I was born in Haviah, have lived here my entire life." She would spare her the details of where in Haviah she came from or the tragic my dad ruined our family story. "My parents were actually super patriotic at one time, hence the name." Giggling to herself she lifted a hand and pointed at herself. "Havanah was the best they could come up with."

"I have a little sister, she is 19 and at the ATC... Stage 3." When Havanah began talking about Aspen she visually lightened up. "She's a good kid. Smart, good instincts, talented." While she talked she pulled her Com out of her bag and pulled up a picture of Aspen.

"Here she is." It was a picture of Aspen and Havanah together, one she took last time she visited the ATC and managed to get a smile out of her. The resemblance was obvious, both of them sharing the same eyes and complexion.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 08:20:03 am »
Nadine was listening with rapt attention; hanging off of Havanah’s every word. It wasn’t a lot of details, but when her son flashed her a look she decided that asking for more about her upbringing was probably something that wouldn’t be appreciated.

Well boo!

She wanted to know everything there was to know about this young woman that had put a spell on her baby boy. Sucking it up like the responsible adult she was, Nadine brightened as much as Havanah did when she started talking about Aspen.

A waiter had appeared and glasses of champagne were poured wordlessly. Alec didn’t question it, of course, because obviously his mother had already ordered drinks for them.

“Oh your family must be so proud. To think, two daughters destined to be great Pilots! You seem like a wonderfully involved big sister, and look, you’re both so pretty.” Well if the family was prone to producing attractive children all the better. “You’re going to make such beautiful babies with Alec; you’re both so good looking!”

Alec had started to sip his champagne and promptly choked on it, blue eyes going wide as he stared horrified at his mother. Sputtering and getting himself back under control he shook his head. “Uh yeah, we’re really not quite there yet, Mom. Don’t scare my dream girl away.”

He was trying to be teasing, but he probably looked just a little pale.

“Aww, but think of the adorable babies…” Nadine looked quite disappointed at the news that grandbabies were not already in the works.

Offline Blink

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »
Still beaming Havanah brushed off the comment of her family being so proud. It was a partial truth, her mother was quite proud of her. However, Aspen was not as fortunate. Her father and stepmother saw it as more of an inconvenience. None of that mattered though as Havanah held enough pride for Aspen to make up for it. She would always be what they couldn't, someone had to be.

With a glass of champaign now in hand Havanah took a sip, closing her eyes in complete awe as the bubbles formed in her throat. But then, disaster.

"You're going to make such beautiful babies..."

She heard Alec choke as she sat motionless, champaign still in hand. Thankfully Alec jumped in and salvaged the conversation, or at least attempted to. Havanah was in the middle releasing a breath she hadn't realized she was holding when Nadine mentioned babies again. Clearing her own throat she placed the glass on the table and curled her hands in her lap.

"Actually I don't plan on doing anything that life-changing until Aspen graduates." Her eyes flicked towards Alec, informing him as well of the resolve she held so dear. They hadn't ever really talked about any of this before so why not talk about it now, in front of his mother no less!

"Aspen is my priority. Once I know she is settled and can take care of herself then I can start worrying about babies and all that other stuff."

Taking another sip of her champaign Havanah looked at Alec, attempting to gauge how what she had just said affected him.

"But maybe one day in the far and distant future."

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:33:06 am »
Nothing so life-changing until after Aspen graduates…

Alec turned those words over in his head a few times as he watched his beautiful girlfriend handle his mother quite tidily on the matter. He felt some pride at it, but he really expected nothing less than Havanah being her extremely direct and headstrong self. That was also what made him suddenly a little anxious, but he was good at squashing his feelings down and keeping them under tight lock and key.

“How far and distant?” Nadine pouted with a frown, asking the question silently bouncing around Alec’s own thoughts. “You said she was only Stage 3, it could be several years before she even graduates. Do you plan to string my son along for years in a stagnant relationship?”

Okay, only the first one was in his thoughts. Alec scowled sharply at his mother, clicking his tongue in annoyance. “Mother that’s enough. Havanah and I are very happy with how things are right now. When she and I decide to make any kinds of changes to our relationship it will be our decision, outside input isn’t really necessary on that front, though I appreciate your concern.”

“I just want to see you happy, but if she’s not interested in more than what you have right now it seems like a waste of your time to me. I’m your mother damnit, and I want to see you married and having babies one of these decades – preferably before I croak.” Nadine was pouting, not angry.

”Ignore it, baby. She’s just old and stubborn. She must really like you though, if she’s this upset you’re not wanting to start having kids right away.”

“I am very happy, mother. Havanah means the world to me, and if she wants to wait for kids and marriage and all those things, then I’ll wait. It’s not like I’m in a great hurry. We’re still young enough that rushing just seems kind of dumb. Don’t you think?” Alec reached his hand out so he could grasp Havanah’s and squeeze it gently, tossing her one of his warm, loving smiles.

“Hmph. I just think you two look wonderful together. Such a lovely couple and you’re not even talking weddings yet? Nobody is getting married and I don’t have any weddings to look forward to!” The woman was pouting still when the serving staff brought plates of sushi rolls to the table, a mouth-watering assortment of them, to be honest. His mother didn’t know what kind Havanah would like, after all so a variety seemed the smart choice.

Offline Blink

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »
For a moment Havanah felt that maybe she had said too much, reinforced by Nadine's reaction. Alec's mother did have a point though. How long would it take Aspen to graduate? She had been stage 3 for a while now, and after that who knew how long it would take her to get through the rest of the stages. Stringing Alec along during that entire time though was never her intention. She guessed she really hadn't ever had to think about anything like that until now.

Just as she was about to respond Alec jumped in, putting his mother in her place. It was a very short-lived relief as Nadine began to speak again, almost as if Havanah and her own opinions were irrelevant for the time being.

Shifting her sights onto Alec she pursed her lips at the thought he placed in her mind. 'She must really like you if she's this upset'. Well, surely this was a funny way of showing it.

She was about to reach for Alec's hand as he went on about how they were still young but he beat her to it. Grabbing her own instead and squeezing it before sending out one of the things she lov-... liked most about him. That smile was enough to make any negativity within her to melt away. Combined with those baby blues of his it was a force to be reckoned with.

"Listen..." Havanah cleared her throat while she tried to think of what was best to say. "One day I want to have a wedding and babies and all of that. I'm sure you and my mother could sit for hours gushing over what style of dress I should wear or what color Alec's tie should be. However, just as I want that I also have to think about how Aspen will never have that. Her mother will never be that for her. I'm it for her. There is no one else. So I'm sorry, just as you are concerned for Alec and his happiness above anything else I am putting Aspen's happiness and wellbeing above anything else. Because If I don't... no one else will."

The sushi rolls had arrived just in the nick of time and Havanah was nothing short of impressed by the variety being presented to her. All of them looked amazingly delicious. Well all of them but the one with tentacles wrapped around it. No thank you.

"You know one of the very first meals Alec and I had together was sushi rolls." It was clear Havanah was trying to get off the subject of weddings and babies and Aspen. "We ran into each other at the gym and went out for omelets first. Or at least I got an omelet. Alec got everything else on the menu. But the meal I remember most was when I got Rayne and Beau. He came over to help me set them up and brought Sushi rolls. It was so sweet."

She would spare Nadine the details of the whipped cream and Notepad desert the followed after.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
This dinner had been his idea, but Alec felt like he was being crushed between a rock and hard place as Havanah and Nadine went back and forth. At least he knew better than to argue too much with either woman. That would have just been asking for hell to be rained down on his head. He wanted them to get along, but his mother was being pushy and Havanah was being stubborn – and he didn’t blame her for digging her heels in.

Thank whatever gods there were the food arrived and the conversation shifted topic. Although it was more like his girlfriend dragged the topic elsewhere. Nadine seemed to finally take that hint, for now, and chuckled.

“Alec always has been a bit of a glutton. Even as a boy he ate more than anyone else at the table, and yet he never was a husky child. I don’t know where he puts it all, honestly.” She smirked at her son and all he could do was roll his eyes and drink his champagne. “He always was the sweetest of my boys, and he told me about these ferrets you seem to be sharing. I never did care much for pets, but I think you co-owning them is a cute step.”

”I like how she clearly doesn’t mention it isn’t the step she wants while still making it painfully obvious.”

Alec cleared his throat to stall his mother from trying to latch back on to uncomfortable topics as the woman was prone to doing when it suited her. He pointed out a roll stuffed with salmon, avocado, cucumber, and cream cheese that was topped with a drizzle of yum yum sauce and sprinkled with fish roe. “Havanah, baby, you should try this roll here. It’s delicious and you haven’t really had sushi until you’ve tried Bar Toro sushi.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:05:18 am »
For the briefest of moments, Havanah believed that she had managed to divert the conversation completely. It was no surprise to hear that Alec was just as obsessed with food as a child as he was now. The same unanswered question also remained within Havanah. Where exactly did he put it all?

Everything was starting to get on track. The talk of children and marriage averted for the time being. That, of course, was until Nadine made the slightest of hints that their precious ferrets were a step. Thankfully, Alec stepped in again, diverting the attention back to the delicious food in front of them.

With Alec's suggestion, Havanah grabbed a set of chopsticks and picked up a piece of the sushi. It was definitely different than the supermarket special she had grown accustomed to. The salmon was pinker and the piece in entirety seemed softer. Even the presentation was much different than the usual roll stuffed into a plastic container. After careful examination she plopped the piece in her mouth, letting it all melt together on her tongue while her face warped into an expression of nothing less than complete pleasure. She took a moment to savor it, completely surprised that Sushi could ever even taste this good.

"It is amazing...", she paused, still overwhelmed with how amazing it tasted. "... completely different from what I thought sushi was supposed to taste like."

Havanah then turned her attention back to Nadine. "You know Alec talks about you all the time. It's one of the many reasons I thought he was so amazing. Any guy who talks about their mother the way he does has clearly had an amazing upbringing. It shows a sense of values and respect that most people don't have these days." She then reached for another piece of the sushi, setting it on the small plate in front of her to be devoured at a later time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal