Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Things Fall Apart  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Lion

Re: Things Fall Apart
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 12:50:56 am »
It was too late to be eating like this, and the grease from the pan was still shiny on the plate. Yet at the sound of no protests when to came to his vulture chef cuisine, it confirmed the fact that it wasn't completely repulsive. Oh good, because the thought of eating anything else with whatever pills those were he knocked back at Marian's was going to make him pass out in a pile of sick right there on the carpet. But noodles and baloney, he could handle that. In tiny tiny bites.

Glover coughed, scooping up another bite and feeling his throat all scratchy like sand paper. Ugh, okay, this was awful and tasted like ash. Or was that just the residual taste of Atrade Lights on his tongue. Either way he was going to have a hard time keeping this down if he kept it up

Far be it from him to be te one say it. If Sevrin liked it, he would let the kid to enjoy it. He'd made it for him after all. Glover set his half-finished plate on the table, sitting down on the armrest of the couch and looming over the pair of them on the couch. He couldn't hide the small smile that played at the corner of his mouth at watching Wil take that bite though.

Because getting Wil to eat anything he made was a lot like trying to check an alligator's tonsils. Initiating the gag reflex could have dire consequences including but not limited to loss of limbs, physical trauma, and being tased. And Glover's grin only widened, watching Wil test the waters so cautiously. Pfft, if he really wanted to kill them, he'd do it softly. Lambo knew that, or so he hoped. 

But watching Sevrin enjoy it made Glover's expression sober considerably. Already the high was starting to fade, and the throbbing against his face didn't feel so bad. Or maybe it was just easy to forget his own pain when he saw Sevrin hapy and enjoying himself. Such a rare and wonderful sight. The glow that came to his face. "Oh, hell, I'll get you the best frame, Sevrin! I promise," he chuckled and reached out to push his hair back from his face.

That small face that would broaden when he got older. A nose that would look a lot like his, hair that would get unruly and disheveled when it grew out. Glover would have to show him how to brush it back to keep it out of his face. He wanted to be the one to show him how to properly apply a razor to his face when hair started to grow out - although his own facial hair was a little worse for wear. Glover watched him quietly and knew that would never happen. Freddie would have to do all that.

If even remembered he had a kid. Glover, thankfully, had an excellent memory when he really applied himself. He made a mental note to pay ye olde Fredster a visit come morning. Remind him of his fatherly duties. Nothing major. The fuckhead probably didn't even know Sevrin was gone.

"Sevrin, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. When you grow up, you can be whatever you want to be," he said, nodding affirmatively. "Whatever your job is, is just a job. Who you are inside, you can't hide that. Nothing can stop you from being an artist, son. Hell if the urge is that bad, you won't even be able to stop yourself! And I'll be the proudest owner of a Sevrin Daniels original."

Son. A ball formed in Glover's throat, but his eyes were too tired and that bruise too sore to get any more heated. It was a casual word. Nothing more. Like a mentor speaking to a student, a denotation of trust and affection. Words only meant what you put into them, after all.

"Okay, so you've been fed, and you've had your -uh...cinnamilk from the look of it. I didn't even know I had milk that hadn't already turned into cheese. Uh, nevermind. Okay Sevrin, let's get you cleaned up and ready for bed. And you can tell me a story before you sleep, yeah? Tell me all about your adventure to get here. I can't wait to hear that one."

Offline Nix

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 08:17:49 am »
Sevrin ate most of his food and polished off his drink. Cinnamilk? Is that what it was called? He liked it.

Uncle Glover was the best. He always knew what do say. Even if he had to do some other job because he was a mage he could still draw and be an artist. Yeah. He smiled up at his uncle. If he heard the 'son' bit he took no notice of it. It didn't seem out of place and any extra emphasis or meaning was lost on him. Except, well... he wished Glover was his dad. His dad never had time for him, unless it was a public thing that showed what 'good parents' they both were. And sure he was a brat to Arabelle sometimes, but she didn't like him anyway. Only his uncle really cared about him.

He didn't realized how tired he was till Glover said they should get him ready for bed. He pouted a bit. "But I'm not tired." Lies. He was already having trouble keeping his eyes open. But he wanted to draw another picture, he wanted to hang out with uncle Glover. He wanted to see Wil's wings! He didn't want to go to bed... and yet a sleepy little yawn seized him.

Offline nephero

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »
Glover was... surprisingly great with kids. Not that Glover Daniels was necessarily a mean-spirited man, but his typical grumpy nature didn't really lend towards any kind of a domestic imagining. Like you'd never think about him taking a batch of wee versions of himself to the park or something like that. Not on purpose anyway. But there he was with Sevrin, and there was just something about how he was with him that drove home the fact that if given the chance, Glover would make such a good dad. It was...

Well, it was sure enough to set Wil's heart a-flutter and give a fair amount of color to their cheeks. Not that it was easy to tell, given their naturally tanned complexion and the dim apartment lighting. Which, thank all the gods for that, because Wil was not entirely sure they were in the mood for being teased about that tonight. Their temper might have cooled by a wide margin, but that didn't mean Glover was free to pretend the day's events had never occurred in the first place. Ohh, not by a long shot.

Either way, it was all enough of a distraction to let Wil finish most of their noodles before finally enough was enough. They slowly stood from the couch, gathering up their tupperware and Sevrin's own plate and mug. Their lips quirked in an amused smile, knowing full well that there was no way the boy wasn't tired. Anyone who had ever been a kid knew the truth, and Wil was sure if left to his own devices Sevrin would be out like a light on the couch in no time. Better to just nip that all in the bud.

"I'm sure you'd be able to stay up for hours and hours, but I think your uncle needs some rest, Sevrin. So how's this for a deal, sleep now and in the morning I'll get you whatever you want for breakfast. Okay? You name it."

When in doubt, bribery is a great option. It probably didn't hurt that Sevrin's yawn was contagious, and Wil had to stifle one of their own. Man, they hadn't even realized how tired they were. Talking about a kid falling asleep on the couch, if Wil hadn't gotten up to take care of the rest of the dishes they might have been the first to conk out.

Speaking of, they had plates to scrape... because there was no way this was being saved for a second time after already being recooked. The thought alone was just. Ugh. Uuugh.

Offline Lion

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
Lies. It was all lies. Glover knew when Sevrin was tired from the little half-lidded heaviness in his eyes. And the boy could barely keep his head on straight. When the cup and plate were pried from his tiny grip, Glover actually laughed at his protests. Gods were they were adorable. He could pinch those cheeks right off his cute little face, fold them and put them in his pocket.  Er...

Oh, that was a morbid thought. And Wil's promise! Oh that was a good one. Why didn't he think of that?

"Hear that, Sevrin. Anything you want. Anything!!!!" Glover was purposefully over excited for the offer, although it was made for the kid rather than him.  "Even cake and ice cream!"  That was a great idea.  Glover snorted, and leaned down to scoop the kid into his arms, carefully maintaining balance and tucking the boy's head against his shoulder.

"Okay, we take care of business first, brush your teeth and then off to bed. And you can tell me stories too. And all about the kinds of drawings you want to make," Glover went on and end as he disappeared into the hallway and was gone for a good while. He made sure the kid brushed his teeth with the spare toothbrush he had in his drawer for just this occasion and spoke of nonsensical things while carrying Sevrin into his own bedroom.

For once the thing was actually clean. No dirty laundry on the floor and he laid him out into as far center as possible, pulling the sheets over him. "So, Sevrin," he murmured and sat up so that he too wouldn't fall asleep. "You are very brave and adventurous, you know that. You came out all the way over here just to see me!? I'm honored. I'm so glad you visited. I don't get to see you as often as I want," he murmured. "What was your adventure like, Sevrin?"

With any luck, he'd tire himself out and fall asleep before Glover did. He did promise him story time after all.

Offline Nix

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 12:33:42 am »
Anything he wanted? He would have to think about that... maybe they could make pancakes with chocolate chips and a smiley face like in restaurants... maybe they could even go out to eat like a family. Yeah. That's what he wanted, a family breakfast. Where they sat together and talked about what they were going to do for the day, and all smiled at each other. Like on TV. He kept thinking about that as he was carried off to the bathroom and brushed his teeth, half asleep already.

He thought about what he had for breakfast this morning while he was carried to the bed. An omelet the cook made for him, he ate it alone while Circiel had some coffee and watched the news. She never ate breakfast, and to be fair he often chased her off when she tried to eat lunch or dinner with him and have a conversation with him. Part of him knew she was trying, but he just wanted it to come from his mom instead. Or his dad. He had given the cook a hard time too...

They had been fighting again. That's all they ever did. They didn't eat meals together, they didn't ask how the day was, they didn't look at drawings, they didn't tuck him in at night... they didn't even notice he was gone. They didn't do any of the stuff parents on TV did. Was it cause he wasn't good enough to deserve it?

Sevrin was frowning and he didn't even realize it till he looked up at his uncle who wanted to hear about how he got here. "It wasn't that exciting. Circiel caught me sneaking out and she wanted to take me home but I didn't want to go home... so we took a cab over here." He shifted a bit closer to Glover and let his heavy eyelids close... even though he definitely wasn't sleepy. His eyes were just tired.

"Uncle Glover... can I just live with you?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 12:58:10 am »
The last time Glover had eaten a proper meal that wasn't reheated or take-out that was 'accidentally' spilled all over Wil's car when they were heading out to the station And anything that still lingered in his fridge was officially from edible. This one time whatever he'd made had been salvaged from certain destruction. And he'd ensured anything that might be malicious was killed by the fire.

He listened softly, scooting in closer to Sevrin, even wrapping an arm around him and tucking him into his side. "Uh-huh," he sighed. "I see. So you were being naughty. Luckily for you, you have Circiel to look out for you, bud. You should be nicer to her. She's a good person."  Again, Glover wished she were hear. Then she could keep Wil company outside and stave off that storm for another five minutes.

Another three hours. Maybe until the morning.

Ugh, but some things were simply asking too much.

Like...  "What?" the question was more in incredulity than because he didn't hear him. "Of course you can!"  The answer came rolling off his tongue faster than he could catch himself.  His stomach lurched again and Glover curled himself down toward Sevrin's level. "My home is always your home. I'd love to have you live here with me. Maybe for a whole week!"

He knew what he meant. To stay forever, until...until the rest of the world fell apart. Because then nothing else would matter. He would have Sevrin and everything else could just go to hell. Except Lambo. Lambo was too sweet for hell.

"How about this. I will talk to your mom about letting you do just that. Just to stay here for a whole week and I'll help pay Circiel to commute and she can take you to school, and I'll take a week off from work and we can just hang out and watch TV! Does that sound good to you?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 12:57:28 am »
Sevrin's facial muscles may as well have been a roller coaster.

When Glover said what he had been ready to repeat himself, and then came that resounding 'Of course you can!'

His mouth had pulled itself into such a big smile he was sure he could sell it as a capital U to whoever still printed books and stuff. Especially ones for little kids. He could live with uncle Glover and the two of them would be a family and-

And then his smile faultered, broke and fell, swinging on one hinge till it was upside down. No. No uncle Glover didn't understand. A week? That wasn't enough time. Forever was barely enough time. He just wanted to stay with his uncle and not deal with yelling all the time. He was about to open his mouth to protest but his uncle kept going, proposing something real. Something plausible.

An actual week. Not hypothetical. He could stay with Uncle Glover and hang out and do fun stuff like parents were supposed to. Sevrin snuggled closer to his uncle, closing his eyes again. The frown evened out to a small, cautiously hopeful smile. It was something at least.

"You think she will say yes?" He asked softly, having trouble staying awake.

Offline Lion

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 12:56:23 am »
"Do I 'think she'll say yes'?!" Glover gasped, over dramatically of course. For effect and because his sleepy nephew trying to fight the sleep that was gradually overtaking him was just far to adorable. Glover blinked away the burning sensation that lingered just behind his eyes, and rubbed out a twitch that overcame his left eye. Didn't need anything else twitching.

The day had let him reeling enough. He just wanted to put all that shit behind him. Sevrin was here, and Lambo was here, and he'd eaten and for some reason was still alive. All was where it should be. So he was determined to not let anything ruin this evening. For once the world was right. And Tynova was quiet...

Glover shifted around so that he could tuck his arm around Sevrin and pushed the boy's hair from his face. Eyes flicked to the boy's baby blues. That was such a nice color. Much nicer than his own. Whatever genetic anomaly gave him the hue he had, he was glad it skipped Sevrin. The boy already had enough things to worry about.

"I'll have you know, that I can be so charming! And in the very- very slim chance that she says no, then I'll just have to steal you away myself and make sure that you're all bundled up in a bassinet and everything. Because it's happening. You're my bud! But, I think it's time for sleep. So you stay here, if you need anything just call me. I love you. Good night"  Glover leaned down and pressed pursed lips to Sevrin's head, prolonging the contact for some time and hugging Sevrin to his chest.

He wanted him to stay forever. Maybe Evangeline would say yes and Glover to keep him, and she'd forget all about Sevrin. She seemed to have an easy time doing that regardless.  Glover let him go and slipped away, pulling the blankets up to his chin, making sure the bedding was secure around his small frame.

Now, it was time to face the music. Slipping away, and out the door, Glover kept the door somewhat ajar, so that light from the hallway still flooded in from the living room and kitchen. Somewhere in the meet and greet, and the coffee and the Frankenstein mish-mash of old noodles and eggs, Glover remembered the hat.

And there it was on the couch where he'd been sitting with Sevrin.  He meandered on over, reaching over the sofa's back to slowly pick it up. "Here. You left this back at the station. I...didn't want it to get lost," Glover cleared his threat and gave Wil another stupid wide grin. Quickly followed by a wink.

Yes, yes. Distract them with his natural charm, and maybe Wil wouldn't blow up on him. Glover moved close enough and spread the cap out between his fingers, settling it on Wil's head, pressing the corners of it neatly over their ears and threading out the long dark green strands that had filled that cap with that intoxicating scent.

Offline nephero

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
‘Didn't want it to get lost,’ Wil’s ass. Glover had grinned that infuriating grin at them, and for a hot minute all Wil could see was bright, furious red.

‘Found it at the station,’ Wil’s *ass*. This had happened before on so many different occasions, and somehow each time had resulted in Glover's grinning face and his fingers against Wil’s hair and the soft tug of the hat in question fitting over Wil's skull. And like every time before, the green-haired detective’s heart thrummed wildly in their chest, a rapid hummingbird vibration that might have been alarming the first handful of times it had happened.

And it had been alarming. Especially on the tail end of utter and complete loathing for the man before them. But time had passed on that, and those stupid shit eating grins had grown on them, and after the fifth time of thinking they were in the throes of cardiac arrest Wil had gotten used to the heart palpitations as well.

What they would never get used to, however, what they could never get used to, was how utterly and indiscriminately *stupid* their partner could be!

Wil's temper about the whole ‘incommunicado’ matter had been, of course, temporarily stifled by Sevrin's presence-- the kid had been so sweet, and no one deserved to be utterly dressed down in front of a child. Wil had wanted to scream themselves hoarse at Glover, but even now the stupid, beautiful bastard dodged that particular bullet.

Sevrin was asleep in the other room, after all. Wil wouldn't be the one to wake him back up giving Glover the verbal thrashing *of his life*.

So, vocally castrated as they were, Wil instead settled for a withering glare instead. They took a short, steadying breath-- totally unrelated to any wavering caused by Glover's hands on them in such familiar capacity, totally-- and let it all out in a soft hiss.

“Don't you give me that bullshit,” they breathed, soft and quiet to keep from getting too loud and worked up. It was hard work.

“What the hell were you even thinking? The least you can do is pick up the goddamn phone when you decide to run off half cocked and-- what the hell happened to your face? Did Sandborne do that to you? Good fucking god, Glover, are you trying to get yourself killed or just give me grey hair? Because one of those plans is working.”

Despite the angry hissing, though, Wil's hand moved to Glover's face, thin fingers touching at the blooming bruise there, the detective’s brows knit tight over dark eyes.

Offline Lion

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 12:55:13 pm »
Seeing Wil fuming just the way they did brought out the color and vibrancy in those brown eyes. Funny how not too long ago, Glover used to think how dull those eyes were. Something about them being brown because Wil was full of shit like the rest of them. Funny how those were the only eyes Glover could look back into and not see himself. And how fucking thankful for that he was. 

It was nice, different. Very - and he internally shrugged - Wil.

And all the warm and fuzzies of trying not to be in the brunt of the storm warning in front of him came back when he stared into that color. Glover's grin just got wider, stupider, and he carefully tongued a canine. With some effort - a great deal of it in fact - he managed to sober his expression, amidst the wild glow that settled behind those eyes.

"You know I'm always fully cocked," Glover quipped, sniffing and scratching at an itch that didn't exist. Anything to keep his hands busy. To keep them from fidgeting, shaking, twitching. Another ghost itch at the ports along his temples. And he shut his eyes, hiding a vague shiver when they touched at his shiner.

"Oh, that ol' thing. Just a bum fight. Tried to take my phone. Tried to take your hat. I didn't let him," he sniffed again and reached up to catch the wrist of that hand, gripping it for but a moment. And wanting little more than to press Lambo's palm against his cheek. Something about it's warmth was drawing.

"Look, I'm sorry. I got your messages. All four hundred of them. That's a new record, I'll tell you that," Glover forced a snort, tilting his head, smirk pulling at his lips. Flicking a tongue out to lick them and rolled his bottom lip in to nibble on the crusted chapped skin. Another distracting move to keep from having to answer Wil's questions. Wil didn't want to know the answer to those questions. It was better that Wil just stayed the way they were.

That maybe one day Glover would just end up sprawled out on the ground, gunned down by an armed suspect. Caught by surprise. An accident. It would be easier that way, instead of telling Wil that he wanted it to be on purpose.

Glover hadn't realized how long he'd been silent. His eyes gave Wil a slow blink. Good Wil, the best Wil. Wil that should have found another partner instead of being stuck with the rat bastard in front of him. He hadn't known what he'd been thinking, truth be told. Not when he walked into Sandborne's office. Not even now when he reached out and wrapped his arm around Wil's middle, pulling them close.

He just buried his face into that familiar shoulder, into that neck, pressing lips weakly against the pulse at their throat. His arms squeezed tighter around Lambo. Wil was good. Wil was safe.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:56:05 am by Lion »

Offline nephero

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »
The first time that Glover had grinned at them like that, Wil had been utterly furious. Something about it being late, about Glover missing an appointment of some variety, and something about 'would you mind finishing the rest of my reports, thanks, you're the best, I love you!'. The first time Glover had grinned at them like that, Wil had been exactly two steps away from decking him in his big, stupid face.

Ironic, all things considered. Wil still wanted to deck him, of course, Wil was still furious at just how nonchalant that grin made Glover seem, as if the danger never really mattered. As if it wouldn't have been any big deal to end up in a gutter somewhere, holier than a cheesegrater. Wil's stomach gave a thoroughly unpleasant flip; no longer distracted by their furious phone-calling, Wil recognized the terror that had haunted their steps all day. It was fine, now, Glover was here, now, and aside from a bruise was otherwise unharmed. But the thought of what might've happened refused to leave them in peace.

"Fully cocked, my ass," Wil quipped back, eyes hooding as Glover held onto their wrist. They didn't struggle, didn't do much of anything for a moment, simply enjoying the sensation of those tobacco-stained fingers against their skin. The moment, whatever moment it was, broke at the mention of just how many messages Wil had actually left him.  Had it really been four hundred? Tanned skin flushed several shades darker, and they busied themselves looking at some point over Glover's shoulder rather than that awful, wonderful smirk.

"Yeah, well, it's been a day. I had to deal with Machines because of you." Wil snorted in return, before noting just how quiet Glover had gotten. The other detective was looking at them, but it was clear he wasn't actually seeing them. He was somewhere, off in his own thoughts, and Wil's brows knit together as they searched the rest of his face.

They'd almost been about to say something, about to actually question Glover's state, something along the lines of 'hey, are you okay?' But then Glover's arms were around them, hooked around their middle and squeezing them tight. Without even thinking about it, Wil's arms rose up to curl around Glover's shoulders, one hand sliding delicately boned fingers through Glover's hair.

Their skin pricked at the sensation of lips to fluttering veins, and it took another deep breath before Wil came back to earth again. Figuratively speaking, of course. Their other hand, not presently occupied by blonde waves, moved in slow circles against Glover's back, a soft and soothing motion to fill the gap. They wanted to say something, but nothing was coming to mind.

So they simply stood, holding Glover tight to them, returning the squeeze and pressing themselves as close as humanly possible to the other detective. They licked their lips as a thought caught them; and before they could hem and haw over it too much, the words were already spilling out.

"Let me be your partner, yeah...?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 08:37:03 pm »
Those nimble fingers carding through his hair made shivers roll through his scalp, those tingles that came from a scalp massage or something equally comforting that made Glover want to bury himself into Wil as much as he possibly could. His embrace tightened, and even when he couldn't activate his magic, he didn't need it to feel how fast and hard Lambo's heart was racing. He knew that feeling well enough.

There wasn't any mistaking that rushing blood. Glover shut his eyes tightly, feeling along Wil's pulse, listening to it, that throb into some vague sense of desperation and his own eyes burned behind those lids. There was salt there too, wanting to come out, but Glover didn't let it. Wil had enough shit for one evening.

Somewhere at the mention of Wil vs. the Mutant Robots of Tynova, Glover made a snorting sound. Oh, god, the poor sweet lamb never did get along with even the simplest magitech. That was one regret he had for not answering those messages, those calls. He secretly enjoyed seeing those meltdowns.

They were always so...glorious.

"I'm so sorry," he found himself murmuring again. He didn't know what he was apologizing for. Maybe everything, maybe nothing at all.  That heavy resonating word hung in the air, mumbled from where Glover had his lips pressed. His breath hitched, tilting his head away enough to breath, to try and make some sense of the words that were being murmured in his ear.

Wil was a high that required no cutting, no smoke, no needles. The blood mage evened out his breathing. "My partner. Of course you're my partner," he murmured, tilting.  Was that what Lambo was asking?  No, no, something through the haze told him that wasn't it. "I'll always let you be my partner...  You don't even have to ask..."

Except Wil did, and there was a note in their voice, something caught there that made Glover retract his head and instead press his pounding forehead against his partner's. "You never need permission, Wil," he murmured, and angled his head in to peck at the corner of their lips. Full lips that made his own tingle and push him into a different kind of haze.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:34:27 am by Lion »

Offline nephero

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »
The apology hung in the air, and Wil wasn't entirely sure they ever wanted to hear its like again. There was just this hollowness in how Glover said it, as if the words had been utterly directionless from the start. Hearing them, Wil's first instinct had been to just keep petting him, to say that everything was fine and would keep on being fine. It didn't matter that it wasn't fine; Wil just wanted to stop the other detective from ever sounding like that again.

Gooseflesh rose up as Glover spoke into their pulse, a soft breath escaping them as Glover mumbled on and on-- Their partner, his partner, and even though Wil was so sure Glover had completely missed the point of their asking... it still felt so nice. Nice enough that whatever ire they had previously felt melted away like the last vestiges of frost. Tch. It figured; they could never stay mad at Glover for very long-- inevitably, every time, he managed to say something or smile just right or something equally ridiculously Glover that Wil had no choice but to stop being angry.

Who could, in the face of all that?

Still, something else was wrong, and angry or not it still didn't address what that something else was. Wil's hands slid to Glover's neck and jaw, their thumbs rubbing small circles against the patchwork stubble there. It was always just this side of soft, and always golden, such that it was often hard to tell it was even there unless you got real close. Luckily for Wil, they liked getting real close.

Especially when Glover decided to be generous with his kisses that day. Wil looked up at him, cross-eyed as they were for the proximity of everything, and booped their nose against his.

"I know... just reminding you. Come on, sit back down. I'll rub your feet. You really do look like holy hell. Must've been one awful bum fight..."

Offline Lion

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
At some point or another they were always mindless mumbles, usually at the nadir of a high or a drunken stupor, whenever Wil had been unfortunate enough to find him in such a state. Glover didn't enjoy being found like that by anybody. With Wil, that sentiment was exacerbated tenfold. It became, over time, easier to play it off. Just stupid was as stupid did.

He couldn't play it off now, and shook himself mentally of the haze that threatened to pull him back inside. Something half induced by those thick lips, and the other half by the remnants of that high. Glover opened his eyes, his heart in hist throat by the proximity of the other detective, and was reduced to a cross-eyed blink at the skin of Wil's chin. At the black line there, the line that was always vertically straight down toward the base of that delicate throat.

Where he could still feel the pulse fluttering so wildly. Glover released a soft breath, inhaling that familiar smell of his partner, the one that gave him shivers and made the hair on his arms stand on end. Same with the small circles that Wil's fingers made along his cheeks. The movement of stubble only intensified the sensation, Glover made a small grunt, pressing his nose closer, his arms snaking tighter around that lower back.

His right hand played with their shirt, fingertips digging into the fabric there, for want of digging into the ridge of their spine and the sinew that rose around that ravine.  "Okay," he nodded, hard-pressed to part from that source of warmth. He didn't fight them on it, and released Wil only to grab that hand gently within his own, taking them back to the sofa and plopped down on the corner seat.

"I mean, that fight only increased my naturally rugged good looks," Glover mused. His finger pointed up to the little scar at the base of his right eye. "See? But that bum tried to sucker punch me. He lost. I think." A shrug. "Hey, gimme your phone, I wanna take a picture of this shiner, set it as my contact photo. Because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!"

Glover took out his own and cleaned off the scuff marks and dulled out the scratches. They weren't pretty and the case was half cracked in the corner, but at least it still worked. "You have your phone right?"

Offline nephero

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 08:53:54 pm »
"Oh, so very rugged. I can hardly gaze upon such handsomeness, I am all a-flutter." Wil fanned themselves with a little smile, though that smile wavered when Glover mentioned their phone.

Uh…

Wil glanced to the side from where they were perched on the couch, frozen halfway through the process of stripping down Glover's feet and setting to the promised foot rub. Even in the dim light, even with their tanned skin, it was clear they were turning redder than a tomato.

Redder than the vast majority of Edanith, actually.

Their fingers twitched against the hem of Glover's pants. Wil cleared their throat, and gently tried to extricate themselves from the couch.

“Oh, wait, I forgot the lotion, can't have a footrub without lotion--”

It wasn't like it was a terribly great excuse, however. Wil thought back to earlier in the day, when they'd been just so worried, just so frustrated, just so utterly agitated by the millionth automated messaging system.

They might've hated that phone, but throwing it into traffic was… a bit much. Wil cleared their throat again, hoping that a quick dash might have perhaps caused Glover to forget his question about anything to do with a phone. Yup. Five seconds was all it took to forget things, right?

“There, still a few bottles left from my stash… lavender honey or jasmine? You're certainly going to smell better after this…”

Don't ask about the phone, don't ask about the phone, don't ask about the phone...

Offline Lion

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 10:42:19 pm »
Oh... oh. He knew what that silence meant, and even in his tired delirium, Glover could make out a dodge when he heard one. Wil always was a clever bastard, a beautiful clever darling that wasn't at all giving themselves away with how red they were turning. Even under that considerable tan, that tomato face made Glover grin and sniff just as Wil pulled away.

Oh for the lotion. Right. Riiight. Huh, for sending Glover over four hundred messages, it did strike Glover as being rather odd that Wil didn't make a point of getting out their phone to screen-point obnoxiously whilst announcing, "This is a phone! Made for COMMUNICATION! DAMMIT DANIELS!" It wouldn't be the first time. Oh no. Sweet Wil... But maybe that particular mutant robot deserved whatever utter annihilation Lamb Chop had sentenced to in all their mighty wisdom.

While they were retrieving said lotion, Glover wiggled his now bare feet against the center rug and kicked his shoes under the coffee table. "Jasmine. I really liked that one...  I know you like it too," he snorted. "Also...I remember just before the main show 'Bum Fight Extreme' I texted you back saying I was on my way. You got it right? I just don't want you to think that I wasn't thinking about you."

Glover always thought about them. It was rare a second went by Wil wasn't on his mind. Glover wiggled from the couch and had his camera at the ready when they came back and he flashed the camera to catch the practically radioactive heat that was radiating off of one Wil Lambert. And as Glover checked that picture seeing the expression on that precious red face he abruptly cackled.

"I am saving that one! OH yes! Totally making it your contact pic, and printing it out and making copies! Look at you." The snort came out and he found it even harder to breath, wheezing outwardly as he extended his arm to show Wil the photo of their own flushed face, rife with embarrassment.

Offline nephero

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »
They were caught. They were so caught.

There was no way that Glover didn't know. It had happened way too often, in one form or another, for Glover to not know. Wil did not like machines. They didn't like magitech, they didn't like automated systems, they did not like machines. This hadn't been the first phone destroyed in a fit, and they were sure it wouldn't be the last. Didn't mean they weren't always horribly embarrassed after the fact, but they couldn't help themselves. They just got tunnel vision, and if they saw a machine they just had to kill it.

Their prior emotional state certainly hadn't helped any. Glover really had no place to judge them, considering the whole matter was his fault in the first place. Now, any sane human being would realize that no one made Wil throw their phone into traffic, this was the conclusion they came to-- at least until Glover mentioned having actually texted them back. 'Just don't want you to think that I wasn't thinking about you'. Oh, if they weren't red before, they were red now, chewing at their bottom lip-- partly out of embarrassment, and partly out of the warmest sensation at hearing Glover say something that sweet. Shit. No. They were supposed to be mad!

They'd never gotten that message, though, because they'd hurled their phone into the intersection by that point. If they hadn't, they'd have gotten his message, and perhaps wouldn't have needed to storm up to Glover's apartment breathing fire in front of an eight year old. Great first impressions and all that.

Still flushed, and still trying to avoid the phone conversation, Wil barely noticed just what it was Glover had in his hand until the flash went off. Oh. Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no. They turned wide, dark eyes on the screen, seeing the exact copy of their own mortified face-- and snarled.

"Oh, no you don't, don't you dare, Glover Daniels I will destroy you!" Only about halfway through the sentiment did they remember Sevrin in the other room, and tried to remain quiet yet suitably furious. They lunged at Glover, lotion forgotten somewhere on the rug while they fought to get to that picture deleted from every known existence there was.

"Delete it delete it delete it!"

Offline Lion

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 06:37:26 pm »
Sometimes, Glover just couldn't not be a bastard. Some things were worth letting go, and others not quite as much. The little things in life, those were the ones he tried harder to appreciate, the small moments where he could catch someone doing something absolutely stupid that sent the blood mage into a spiraling torrent of cackling laughter. He was pretty sure he was going to die on a number of occasions.

If anything the detective was accustomed to his gluttony for punishment.

And right now that came in the form of a thoroughly mortified and horrifically embarrassed Mordecai named Wil Lambert. A quick shot of rapid fire justice to the self-induced dishonor that Glover maliciously planned to document, to emboss, laminate, and permanently use as the backdrop to future holiday cards. Justice that came in the form of Wil practically throwing themselves onto Glover.

He howled with laughter as the other detective tried to wrestle the phone away, and he desperately tried to keep phone away from them. "Do your worst, Lambert! BWAHAHAHAHA! This is going up on the fridge at work!  And inside the ridge, and inside your locker, and it'll be the screen saver on your computer!" Glover snorted.  "I'll even make personalized boxers of them!"

The weight of the other body on him and the giddy cackling that made Glover only temporarily remember that Sevrin was in the other room. He forced out harsh whispers of "Nee-ner-nee-ner-nee-ner."

A secondary thought in the scheme of things.

Somewhere in that scuffle the pressure of a knee against his inner thigh made something else press against the inside of his zipper. Glover's snorting laughter momentarily sobered, his face now flushed with that need for oxygen. "Oh come on. Where's your sense of humor?" Glover smiled up at them.

Offline nephero

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »
Wil utterly lost it when Glover said the words “personalized boxers”. The threats of lamination, of having copy after copy hidden in increasingly bizarre places, had been ridiculous enough, but the mental image of Glover Daniels, detective, standing there proudly in the locker room in nothing but boxers showcasing Wil's entirely unflattering photo portrait…

It was too much. They snorted, loud and hard, before dissolving into low snickers, laughing against one of Glover's shoulders even as they still reached for that horrid awful terrible picture.

Glover's soft mockery, the ultra childish neenerneener, and his wonderful stupid laughter just caused them to shake further, gasping for air in between rapidfire giggling. Wil shifted as they both came to a stalemate, the need for oxygen superseding plots to get at the blood mage’s phone. Well. Superseding most plots. Wil still had the energy to take up one of the throw pillows and plop it right on Glover's stupid face.

“It's out in the intersection on 4th and Broadway. I swear to all the gods, Glover, if I ever see that photo…” They sat back a bit, releasing the pillow to Glover's face and instead settling it against his stomach, full lips pursed into an utterly not-at-all immature pout.

“I'm a cop. I know how to hide a body.”

Wil looked down at their partner, at flushed cheeks and bright bruising, and his toothy, shit eating grin. This was so much better than before, and Wil sobered a bit to think that not moments before they'd been holding this man so tight, as if anything less would lead to him falling off the face of the earth.

This was much better. Wil leaned forward, touched their foreheads together, completely forgetting phones and jasmine lotion and anything else in that single moment of closeness.

“I'm serious.” They reiterated, perfectly aware that they weren't serious at all.

Offline Lion

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 01:15:15 am »
To a stranger's ear they may have been perfectly vague innocent threats, exaggerations made to make Wil squirm and fight like a holy terror to make that picture disappear from all existence. To anyone that knew Glover, and that list was decidedly short, Glover was perfectly serious on seeing all of these things through. He'd go down to Blinko's and make a hundred copies, a thousand, get personalized prints, even a tattoo of that precious face plastered all over the expanse of his back, and running around all of Tynova in nothing but boxers with that face displayed for all of Edanith to love and appreciate.

Something that gorgeous was made to be shared.

Wil could make all the empty threats they wanted. Glover just snorted when that pillow was thrust over his face, turning his head to keep from suffocating. Empty threats and all that, but better safe than sorry.

"I see then!" he tried to answer, taking a gasping breath exaggeratedly when the pillow was removed. "That poor phone was the latest victim to your serial machine killing ways. I am appalled Wil, truly!"

He settled back into the couch, his arms up and content to let Lambo lie down against him. "Is that a threat detective? You know threatening an officer of the finest city in Edanith can have serious consequences. I might have to use my cuffs. The shiny ones, and cuff you to my rickety bed posts," Glover said softly.

He placed the phone on the arm rest, leaving his hands free to reach up and push that cap away from Wil's head, letting free the loose lengths of dark green hair. "So serious, you are. Let me take the edge off a little," he whispered, brushing strands of it away, pressing his fingers into that scalp. Glover tilted his head up, digging his nose into that soft tan cheek and pressing his lips softly against theirs.

A hum and Glover gripped that little hat in his right hand, tossing it onto the coffee table. "Feel better, partner?" he whispered, voice soft. That need for a smoke was long forgotten.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal