Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: The Grey Lady (Open!)  (Read 1063 times)

Rhak

The Grey Lady (Open!)
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:22 am »
The wastelands were largely flat, barren, and empty save for the odd warped plant or horrific monster. Near Teinar you could sometimes spot humans hunting monsters or mutants looking to make a meal out of the hunters that ventured out. Sometimes, if you were lucky, you might spot something a little unusual.

That 'something unusual' would be a figure--a woman?-- wrapped up in mismatched grey clothing, not a single sliver of skin visible. If you managed to spot her, you might notice her peculiar way of moving; she wobbled and shook, hunched over and occasionally crouching to engage in an eerie scuttling movement. Her every motion was quick, jerky, and anxious to the point of panic.

Sometimes you might see her encounter a monster. Perhaps you might worry for her well being-- how could such a slight thing withstand a Grimhorn attack?-- but your worry would be misplaced. You might wonder at how the air seemed to distort around her and the beast before it fell to the floor, bones twisted and broken, brain dashed from its skull. Then you might see her rip flesh from the carcass and stuff it into a mouth full of dangerous teeth, visible for only a second before becoming hidden under her mask again. It might be then that you begin to suspect that she is not human.

If you were to look on her today-- her name is Keres, in case you were wondering-- you would see her skulking near the entrance to Teinar, hoping to find a way into the city without being caught and killed by a hunter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

flybat3

Re: The Grey Lady (Open!)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »
Riler tensed. Something dangerous was coming towards the city. Her quick jerky almost scared movements and than primal killing made no sense to him. How could a something be scared and than be lethal and emotionaless? This wasn't good.

He brought two knives out from the strap on his belt. He fought creatures, which were unpredicatable but humans? Usually it was rare for them to come out here unless they were a pilot but she was obviously not one. Luckily there were people with him guarding the gate, dealing with this alone could be fatal.

"Hey! Good luck trying to get in! We are guarded you know!" he yelled out to the figure.

Rhak

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:58 am »
Keres was no more anxious than usual until she heard the man call out to her. Then she let out a short sharp shriek, twisted around towards the noise, threw herself off balance by accident, and fell over. It looked rather like a puppet having its strings cut.

She scrabbled on the floor, spindly limbs looking spiderish and moving in a way that just wasn't quite right until she managed to scuttle behind a suitable rock, just barely managing to hide behind it. Oh no! People! What was she going to do now? She'd been seen killing the Grimhorn, and now they thought she was a threat; she had just been hungry, that was all! She reached out with her mind, hoping to touch the thoughts of the  man who had seen her.

*Nice! Nice! Nice!* She sent not words, but a sense of rightness and safety; hopefully she could convince him that she wasn't a threat, just a girl stuck out in the wastes on her own. She could feel her skin flushing up with eye spots-- she was always fearful of people more than monsters. People hunted in great huge packs, when they had a mind to.

flybat3

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
Her behavior confused the hell out of him. She was lethal enough to take down a Grimhorn but scare of a measly human? To strange man. He was use to creatures that didn't really think or plan, that just lashed out with violence looking for an easy meal.

Against his better judgement he put his knives back in his belt and sighed. He suddenly felt safer, which was strange considering the circumstances. It seemed like maybe she didn't hunt humans or something. Maybe she had a bad experience with them. Maybe she was just a scared not holey undefenseless little girl thing that just needed help. Consider his curiosity peeked though.

"I got this guys" he said to the people behind him, and getting the usual, wtf is this guy thinking look, he walked until he was a couple feet away from the rock.

"Can't blame me for be cautious you know? Never seen someone take down a Grimhorn quite like that, or that fast. I suppose you hiding takes the fear away that you might be a danger to humans. Though you got me curious, what exactly are you?"

Rhak

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »
Keres shook uncontrollably as the man approached, her ears flat to her head, but she sensed less hostility and more curiosity from him now. She curled up tighter behind her rock, tilting to peer around it cautiously, wondering what the man was doing.

Her ears pricked under her head wrap, listening to the human talk. She cleared her throat compulsively, shifting to get a better look at him. She paused for a moment before answering his question; what was she? She had no idea. She could give her name, though.

"K-K-Keres," She replied, voice hoarse and strained. "I-I am Keres." She slowly drew out from behind the rock, watching him intently as she did so. "H-hello." She was half behind the rock now, crouched on the ground and peering up at the human, ready to sprint away at the slightest provocation.

flybat3

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:30:47 pm »
Riler sat down on the dusty ground slowly. Conversations were really best and more neutral while sitting down. Besides she was shaking the poor thing. Him just towering over her rock wasn't going to help maters at all. Just getting on a even level should help.

"I'm Riler to friends. Riler Danu to people that want to get on my case or act older and more superior than me."

He wasn't wearing a shirt again, which was sort of insane due to him being out in the wastelands and all, but he just hadn't felt like being weighed down by one. Even left his trench coat at home. Her glance of him probably didn't gather much. He was just in his black cargo shorts with way to many pockets. A couple of throwing knives hung from his belt but they were just for protection. He only used them enough to not get rusty with them. His feet were bare, with callouses on the bottoms, proving how little he even wore shoes. He was wearing some black finger less gloves that hid a small heart tattoo near his thumb. His black hair moved with the wind.

"You seem like a good well....person? A tad spooked perhaps but living out here well I can't really blame ya. You'll be okay though, they wont hurt you now that you know your not a threat. I'll talk to em for ya if you want. Maybe we could be friends even?"

Riler set a water bottle down by the rock and moved a little bit away. "You seemed thirsty is all"

Rhak

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
"Rrrrilerrr," Keres repeated, rolling her 'r's. She felt a little safer now that he was on her level. She pulled her own grey coat tighter around herself, unable to stop fidgeting for even a moment. She tilted her head a little, a reasonable enough gesture but slightly unnerving thanks to the cloth hiding her face. But Teinarians hated wasteland mutants, all of them as far as she knew, so she couldn't risk removing her shroud.

Keres nodded eagerly at his words, she wasn't a threat, she was nice, there was no need to hurt her, everything was fine fine fine fine. "Yes, yes, all friends, yes," She repeated herself out of nervous habit, unable to fully settle herself. She had been afraid and anxious around people for o long that she couldn't simply shrug it off in the face of one friendly human.

She gave a start at the offering of water. Clean water, too! It had been so long since she'd drunk anything but the toxic waters found out in the Wastelands, and though she could tolerate the poisonous fluids it was undeniable that clean water tasted and made her feel much better.

Keres darted forward and snatched up the bottle, popping open the cap and taking a few healthy gulps. Her mouth was visible for just a few seconds, black-lipped and sharp-toothed, before she pulled the bottle away and her maw was hidden by her wrap once again. She didn't drink all of the water, not wanting to be rude. The mutant put the bottle down again and bowed her head in a quick, jerky movement. "Th-thank you!"

flybat3

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:21:05 am »
Riler smiled at her way of saying his name. The rolled rrr's reminded him of how domestic cats purr. Pretty adorable honestly. He hadn't ever had a younger sister, but Keres almost made him feel brotherly like. Protective and at home almost. It was hard to describe his exact feelings about her and strange that he felt a connection between them so soon.

Riler noticed her sharp teeth but wasn't scared. Cats have sharp teeth too dont they? Didn't mean they were going to bite. Show something kindness and you'll get repayed the same was his motto. It did him well thus far anyway.

"You know, we do have lots of water in Teinar. You can drink it all if you want. Probably feels nice doesn't it? Not having to ingest poison to live...Its rare to find creatures out here that can speak and are intelligent. Most are so mutated and tortured that they can't tell up from down. Though I'm sure you know more about this place than me, what having lived here and all"

He wasn't really use to talking this much, but Keres didn't seem like she could communicate that well yet. It was okay, maybe in time. Hopefully she might even follow him back down into the city. He would have to have a talk with the fellow hunters, her being so lethal and all, but it could work out alright.

"Hey, maybe you could come back to the city with me? It can't be much fun living up here huh? I'd have to talk to the guys about it" he motioned back towards the two of them. "but I'm sure it'll be fine. Coarse if you want to stay out here thats fine too. Totally up to you"

Rhak

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:35:21 am »
Keres listened to Riler quietly, nodding along a little. It was definitely true that sane-ish creatures were few and far between out here, most having either evolved into vicious, hulking monstrosities or been driven to madness by the constant poisons of the land. The resources out here were so rare that only vicious, lethal creatures that could fight for them survived.

She gave a full-body jolt when Riler suggested she come with him into the city. Yes! She had been inside Teinar a few times before, but only through half-collapsed tunnels into the outskirts of the city, and never on invitation. The locals generally assumed she was a monster in disguise and attacked her if they saw her at all. She nodded quickly, edging forward a little.

"Yes, please. Please talk to the guys! Bad out here!" Her voice was pitiful, distress at the thought of being left out here mixed with hope at being let in to the safety under ground. She fidgeting for a moment, mulling over a thought-- humans liked being able to see faces, and they already knew, roughly, what she was. Should she remove her shroud?

She pulled the cloth away slowly, revealing her gaunt, ashen face,  undeniably cute in a 'street urchin' sort of way. She peered at Riler with her large pinkish eyes, small bat like ears wiggling amiably. It was a sign of trust, letting him see her. She hoped it wouldn't backfire.

flybat3

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »
Riler smiled. Poor thing was so eager to get out of the wastes. It reminded him of something that could barely swim, panicking and trying to get out of the pool. He couldn't blame her though, he wasn't too fond of this place either.

"Okay I'll..." he trailed off when he noticed her face finally. "I pictured you more like a cuddly scared cat though. But those ears, just adorable. Almost like some scientist mixed a person with a bat. Who knows if that was the case though. Never know what those scientists are thinking, although personally I think they play god too much. Anyway wait here a sec, gotta convince em your harmless"

Riler walked back over to them and the two looked amazed. Keres probably wouldn't be able to hear the conversation but it consisted of Riler getting strange looks and some objections from the other men. Bringing mutants into Teinar, unless they were some weird dog thing, or food wasn't usually done. That was Riler for you though, a guy that tended to think a lot and go against society whenever it struck him. After a couple minutes the guys seemed to be resigned to letting Riler have his way. Can't really argue with him when he has an idea in his head anyway.

Riler went back and held out his hand to Keres hoping that she didn't take it as threatening at least. He just didn't want her to get lost in the tunnels and besides it would signify to anyone that saw them is that he was watching out for her.

Rhak

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
Keres listened quietly as Riler rambled, shrugging a little. Maybe a scientist did put some bat DNA in her, she didn't know. She had no real way of knowing how she had come into existence, but she suspected genetic experimentation was involved. Naturally mutated creatures tended to be a lot more scrambled than the lab-made creatures, she'd found.

She watched him go over to the guys, ears twitching at every stray word she caught. It was clear to her that the other humans didn't like the idea of letting her into the city, but it seemed that Riler was winning them over. By the time he returned, Keres was practically buzzing with nervous energy.

The mutant lurched to her feet, wobbling a little, and gladly took Riler's hand, practically flattening herself to his side. She couldn't risk anyone thinking she was a dangerous stray, after all. Keres made a rumbling purr sound, just barely managing to resist the urge to clamber onto the human's back like a spider monkey.

flybat3

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
Riler had this strange idea to either pick her up or pet her head after she purred. This whole person animal thing kinda boggled his mind a bit. He led her back through the tunnels, the glow vines providing enough light so that they wouldn't run into things. That was his favorite thing about those tunnels. Bet Aedolis couldn't even dream that such a thing existed. Speaking of them though...

"Should probably keep your powers to yourself Keres...people dont have love for physics around here" he said softly so that the two behind him wouldn't hear.

"I'm headin back home guys. No worries, if I happen to get in trouble for this, I wont mention you dudes at all"
"Man, its your call but, if she uses any of those powers, well we can't take chances down here man" one of them replied.
"It'll be fine." Riler said as they took the tunnel off to the right, while the other guys kept going.

A couple turns later, they arrived at Rilers place. It probably use to be a thrift store or something but Riler didn't want a apartment or anything as grand as a house. He walked in and moved some stuff off the couch.

"Wasn't expecting visitors so...I'm kinda strange anyway living alone. Usually here its more of families living together and such. I dunno, I grew up like that but I like some space of my own. I guess since I didn't really have much privacy growing up, I just decided to have some now"

He sat on the couch and pointed from there where the bathroom and kitchen was. Not much for entertainment at home though. No tv, or internet. Though his walls did sport a decent collection of things to read. He had a okay selection of melee weapons over by his desk, plus the equipment to sharpen and maintain them. Usually he was either hunting, eating or sleeping. Keres might not want to stay when she figured out how boring his place really was.

Rhak

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »
Keres nodded eagerly, not in any hurry to expose her powers to anyone else. She knew how the Teinarians felt about psychics, and understood that deep distrust of anything that could be connected to the Pilots. The mutant watched as Riler exchanged words with the other humans, hiding herself behind him as much as she could. She was glad to be away from them when their paths diverged, feeling their suspicion prickling along the back of her neck.

When they came to Riler's place, Keres' ears pricked up, lifting on her toes almost like a meerkat to look around the new space. She drifted from him to investigate, dropping from the slightly wobbly, upright walk she adopted around humans to her natural scuttling, crouching, shaky way of moving, darting around the place. The books were inspected, and she attempted to read some of the titles out loud, but she wasn't very good. The weapons were briefly checked over, as were the kitchen and the bathroom, before she circle back the sofa and clambered onto it next to Riler, crouched in a way both cat-like and spiderish.

His words about families struck a chord with her; she had no family, so far as she knew, and the wastelands were nothing but space and privacy, with few exceptions. It was rare for her to even have someone she felt positively for.

"Thank you, Rrrilerrrr! Verrrry kind!" She butt her face against his shoulder in a feline manner, that brief purr sound starting up again.

flybat3

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:15 am »
Riler grinned and pet her back lightly. That purr was just so.....cool. Hopefully she would want to stay, at least for a little while. It did get kindof lonely around his place, what with the whole no company really.

"Hopefully you wont get too bored...I could teach you how to read better. Knowledge is as important as strength really. Whats the point of just muscling through everything? Thats what I've always thought anyway. Gotta have balance and all"

He didn't normally talk this much. Of course normally he didn't have anyone to talk too. There was something about this creature that just put him at ease. In the back of his mind though were her powers. He didnt exactly know how the physic stuff went, but what if she got out of control? She could probably at least destroy a block of buildings.

"I don't know much about this whole physic thing though. Do you have control over your powers? Do they like build up in you and cause stuff to explode? Is using too much of your powers at once like lifting too much? Can they make you go crazy?....Sorry about the question overload, I'm just curious is all"

Rhak

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 06:09:42 am »
Keres smiled wide at the mention of reading, flashing her sharklike teeth. She liked the idea of reading, though she was very poor at it. There weren't many opportunities to learn or practice out in the wastes. Her handwriting was unpracticed and child-like too, sometimes getting the letters the wrong way round, and her 'e's always looked like 'c's because she just couldn't make the loop pronounced enough.

She listened to his questions, mulling over them for a long moment, huge pinkish eyes narrowing in thought as she considered how to answer. Keres chewed her lip thoughtfully, rubbing the back of her head.

"...The powerrrs arrre contrrrolled, yes. Unless am verrry sick, then they can get a little--" Here she wobbled her hand in the air to demonstrate the unpredictability. "Therrre is no exploding, does not 'build up', but can make firre if I want. Using powerrrs much does not strrrain, but therrre arrre limits on what can do, and hurrrts to trrry to rrreach past that. And, ah, I do not know forrr otherrr psychics, human psychics, but does not make crrrazy. Is just... A sense, like seeing. Mind-voice is just like sound-voice, moving things is like using hands. It just is." She shrugged, not sure how else to explain it all.

flybat3

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »
Riler nodded. That was good at least. It would have been very bad if some how he got Teinar destroyed because he wanted a friend. Yeah, that would have sucked.

"Sounds cool. I wonder what is special in physics brains that cause that to happen? I wouldn't mind having some powers. Could help a person get out of some sticky situations. Probably would be really helpful out in the wastes too, a creature could come at me and than, either somehow deflect it, or if i was on a hunting mission, bam. Crispy critter."

He cuddled Keres, not able to think about much else to talk about. It would have been embarrassing actually, if someone saw him like this. Just this muscled crazy hunter guy cuddling someone. Made for a funny picture in his head.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal