Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: A Different Kind of Check-Up [Rhi bby!]  (Read 2166 times)

Blue

A Different Kind of Check-Up [Rhi bby!]
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
The echoing clack of her heels signaled her arrival, as it always did. They were firm and loud and clearly carried her voluptuous form with dedicated purpose down the corridor. Most people who knew, or even recognized, the golden haired kitsune stepped out of her way, sometimes giving a soft greeting which she matched with a nod of her head. As always, the heavy braid hung down her back, swaying just above her dress-clad rump with the movement of her gold hued heels. The dress itself was somewhere along the lines of autumn-leaf red, sort of between a red and an orange, and quite striking with the rest of her warm color pallet. All she carried with her was a clipboard, one arm holding it to her side while the other swung freely with her strides.

A jab of her thumb opened the lab door with a hiss, and she swept in with grace and a somewhat frightening degree of authority, the door sliding shut in her wake. Her test subject for the day would have been perched on the medical table, not strapped down surprisingly, though the lab was also abruptly bare of anything other than that table and a single chair. Both of them were bolted to the sterile floor.
An unusual visit, to be sure, but Asuka seemed unperturbed as she settled herself into her chair and crossed her legs at the knee. Tapping her clipboard with a silver pen, she didn’t take note of Asher for a long moment. And then her single honey amber eye flickered up to pierce him with the gaze she was infamous for.
“Asher, have you ever thought about how it is you do what you do?”
The name bomb was likely much more abrupt than her question could have ever been.
And she didn’t even bat an eyelash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: A Different Kind of Check-Up [Rhi bby!]
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
Sitting at the edge the table dressed in the usual plain clothes of a subject, Asher glowered at the door as he waited to see who he'd get today.

If he still believed in any gods, he would have hoped to them that it wouldn't be Benett. But even more than that, he was pissed about this room's set-up. Of course, given his behavior, they often put him in rooms like this unless he was restrained, because while sometimes he behaved, other times he lunged for a scalpel or a tray or whatever else was in reach and, well, the good doctors had quickly learned not to take chances. Of course he wouldn't get a normal room. Didn't stop him from being bitter about it, though. Even if he was in the "I'll behave" sort of mood, he at least liked seeing loose objects in the room so that he could fantasize all the different ways he'd like to use them to kill these damned sadists.

It was a healthy way to pass the exam.

Then came the sound of heels clicking on tile, his only hint as to who it was, though all he could get from it was "not Benett".

Then entered the foxy ice queen.

Asher wasn't sure if he should be relieved or not. On the one hand, he got better eye candy here--kind of, he had a hard time seeing the attractiveness of any of these people here through the cloud of his utter loathing. On the other...he wasn't really sure what to make of her beyond that.

Silence passed between them and he watched her through narrowed eyes, legs swinging idly as he leaned back on his hands. When she finally spoke, the abruptness--and her question--made him jump and sit upright.

"Have I ever...what?"
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:53 am »
With the same exact pitch and tempo as before, Asuka repeated her question.
“Have you ever thought about how it is you do what you do?”
She shifted, re-crossing her legs, the clipboard now balanced on one knee as she relaxed back into her seat somewhat. Her golden fox tail flipped idly next to her, both sharp kitsune ears trained on him. Just like that piercing gaze, unwavering, warm in only it’s color, but otherwise unreadable.
“Let me be more specific. Your psychic abilities. Have you ever thought about how it is you can do it? I know that telepathy is rather abstract even for the best of us, so let’s focus on your cryokinesis. You can freeze things. It’s a physical manifestation of some mental process of yours. Did you ever stop and think about how it was you were freezing something solid?”

Her voice was smooth and sweet like honey, but it was as if a natural part of her, and not something she was doing purposefully. Indeed, despite all her ‘allure’, she exuded that perfect ice queen aura. She was not here to get friendly - not with Asher, or anyone else for that matter. Though she HAD used his name…how or why she would have dug that up was anyone’s guess.
Another flick of her tail, and she tapped on the clipboard again with that pen.
“My name is Asuka Chiyoko. I’ve been here for 20 years, but I don’t generally interview our subjects. My main job is collecting and compiling all the data that is gathered, and then forming hypothesis based on the information. My main focus is the mechanics of how psychic abilities work. How does the force of your mind cause atoms to slow their vibrations? Why is it not stronger? Could you feasibly learn pyrokinesis by simply reversing the process? These are the types of questions I must answer.”
There was another long, odd pause.
“I think you can help me answer them Asher.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »
Asuka's questions where met with a blank, uncomprehending stare that slowly evolved into an 'are you shitting me?' look. Him? Help her? Haha, that was rich.

"Uhhh...no," he finally said, and then let out a harsh laugh. "I just sorta do it. Never thought 'bout the how. Never fussed much with tryin' 'cause I didn't wanna get drafted or some shit, so I tried to fly under the radar--fer all the good that did me. Shoulda been drafted. But okay, okay. So, let's assume I had thought about it."

He leaned forward, resting his elbow on his knee and propping his chin up on his hand, and flashed an empty smile. "What the fuck makes ya think I'd help ya? Ya outta yer goddamned mind, woman? I get absolutely nothin' out of any of this and I sure ain't doing shit outta the goodness of my fuckin' heart."

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:12:33 am »
Asuka gave an elegant shrug of her shoulders.
“Perhaps you should have. At least then it would have been a gilded cage. Though I hear some actually take to it quite willingly after a time. But the Pilot program is well outside my realm of influence for the moment.”
She met his hollow smile with her ever-unflinching stare, unreadable and unmoved - even with his seemingly blunt, even scathing words. There was not so much as a golden eyelash batted at his rebellious streak.

“It wasn’t a question of whether or not you would Asher. I have you in this lab, and I will be studying you, regardless of level of consent. A privilege of my position, if you like.”
She stood in one liquid motion, the picture of grace and elegance poured into a physical form. It certainly made clear she was not human, perhaps even more so than her animalistic appendages.
“I can’t actually expect your cooperation. There is little I could offer you in temptation, and by now you are likely too jaded by this environment to even consider accepting. I am a firm believer in ‘making do with the hand you are dealt’, but your life is short and your future is bleak. I would not hold such bitter, resentful sentiments against you, give your circumstances.”
Looking away for a moment, she motioned vaguely at the air with her pen-wielding hand.
“Everything is ugly, as far as your eyes can see and beyond.”

Returning her gaze to him, she abruptly flipped the clipboard around. On it was a single sheet of paper, and on that, a large bold triangle.
“Memorize this shape.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »
Oooookay. Lady was obviously cray-cray, going on and on about shit he didn't care about or even know what the fuck she was talking about. He had a feeling she was trying to be deep or something, but he'd never cared about that shit, especially not here; he;d always been too focused on, you know, surviving. She did get one thing right, though: he was jaded as fuck. Who wouldn't be?

But then she flipped a clipboard around, and that did get his attention. Without lifting his head from his hand, he stared at the shape, raised his eyebrows, and then tipped his face to look at her.

His expression was bland, a sort of "you are so dumb" expression.

"It's a fuckin' triangle," Asher said, deadpan. "I may be a lot of things, bitch, but I ain't stupid."

Blue

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:58:43 pm »
Asuka was unmoved my his verbal rebelliousness, the clipboard still held up calmly in front of his face.
“By your vocabulary and manner of speaking, a rather strong argument could be made against that statement. You also clearly did not hear me. I did not ask you what shape it was. I told you to memorize this specific one - it’s size more specifically.”

She then slapped the clipboard down onto the cold metal table, front down so that the shape was no longer visible.
“Now. Recreate it in ice on the table. Exactly as you saw it. There is enough humidity in the air in this room for you to manipulate.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:17 pm »
Asher jumped at the sound of the clipboard smacking the table, then glowered at Asuka. Now he understand the point of that whole deal--kind of. He still didn't see why she was making him do such elementary, pointless exercises. A fuckin' toddler could pull this off.

With an irritated sigh, he drew upon his psionics and drew upon the moisture in the air, collection it and pulling it to him. He wasn't powerful enough a psychic--and there wasn't enough moisture in the air--to do what he wanted to do, like create an icy spike and drive it through that woman's heart, but there was enough that he could create a frosty glaze atop the metal table.

It started out as though someone were breathing upon the table, just a slight foggy mist covering the reflective surface, and then it grew, expanded, and ice slowly began to crystallize. Before long, a triangle had formed on the table, shaped from a thin layer of ice. Asher crossed his arms and sat back, scowling at Asuka.

"There. Satisfied?"

The size was off, however; it was too large. But it was a damned triangle and he didn't see what the point was.

Blue

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:50 pm »
“No, I am not satisfied, as you did not successfully complete the task.”
She replied briskly but without much inflection of any sort. Her hand remained on the clipboard, hiding the original triangle from view, even as her one honey eye flicked over that which Asher had made.
“The size and dimensions are off. I did not request just any triangle, I gave you a specific one to replicate. Please do it again, and concentrate this time if you would.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
Asher gave Asuka a long, flat stare, then flicked a look down at her clipboard.

"So, ya gonna show me that again or what? If I didn't get it the first time 'cause yer a vague motherfucker, the fuck makes ya think I'll get it this time without a reference? It's a triangle. They all look the same to me. Ya want perfection, you do it, or stop bein' so damned picky."

Blue

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »
"That depends: Are you going to pay attention this time?"
She rebuffed him calm and cool, still unperturbed by his behavior.
"The point was not to determine whether or not you could make a triangle. The point was to see if you could recreate that specific one - how great your observation and concentration skills were. Based on your performance, I would give you a negative twenty two points."

A slight twitch of her lip could have been a smile, but it was gone too quickly to be sure. Regardless, she then reached down and touched the frosty triangle with the tip of her finger. It wavered and then ice crystals easily slid about and reformed, condensing and shrinking until the triangle had shrunk. Just as easily she flipped over the clipboard and laid it down next to the adjusted one on the table - a perfect match.

"Now then, let's try again."
Removing the triangle page, Asher was met with a large circle instead. Thirty seconds later, and the clipboard was once again turned over.
"Begin."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 01:50:32 am »
"Huh? And how d'ya even decide on those points, huh? Sounds awful arbitrary to me! How's one mistake worth twenty-two! Crazy bitch, that don't even make sense!" Not that Asher honestly cared, because he didn't. It was all the same to him here. Winning points, losing points, none of it benefited nor adversely affected him so what point was there in even trying?

And there she went. Now she was just showing off, the bitch.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. He wasn't going to fall for this. He didn't care if he wasn't perfect or accurate or whatever. So what if she could make a perfect match. She wasn't the lab rat here. Hell, she'd designed the test! So of course she could pass it.

But what pride he had left saw that as a sort of indirect challenge--and an insult. Sure, win or lose, he didn't care. But he also didn't like the implication that he was stupid.

Chin propped on his hand, he stared at the circle and actually focused on it.

Then, once the clipboard was turned over again, he flashed the woman a look, turned his attention to the table, and concentrated once more, pulling on the power he was so rarely allowed to access.

Frost coated the table and solidified into an icy coating, forming a perfect circle. It was a little larger than the original, but the error margin was much narrower this time.

Blue

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:21:50 pm »
“Much better.”
She said it even before she turned over the clipboard, showing the comparison.
“It may not seem particularly important, but this test was simply to see how much precision you have. I’m glad to see that, despite your disposition, your ability to fine tune your own power is quite good. Not many can say the same.”
Getting him to actually concentrate and observe the shape was really just a necessity, and not the actual test. She still had so many questions to answer…and not the most time to do so. Granted, having spent so long compiling data, she had most of what she needed - but there were specific questions still unanswered, and now she was here, doing these tests on her own.
Not the most ideal situation, but it was necessary.

“After all this time, and nobody can say for certain what causes the psychic ability. Why do some have it, while most do not? What causes the ‘strength’ of the ability? Such as you…why is your cryokinesis less potent than another’s?”
The clipboard was plucked from the table, again held idly in one hand.
“If these answers are found, would it be feasible to increase your ability? Would it be feasible to give the ability to everyone? Of course, it might be more interesting to wonder how that would affect society as a whole.”
She might have been talking to herself, quietly and calmly. Granted she didn’t really expect him to listen to her - though sometimes she wondered if she got the subjects’ minds going on topics they might not have considered before.

“Just now, you condensed the ambient H2O particles in the air. You slowed their vibrations, cooled them, caused them to freeze. Let’s give you a task you may in fact be more eager to attempt.”
She held up her free hand.
“Freeze as much of my arm as you can, starting with the tips of my fingers. You may not use the water in the air. I want you to freeze the water inside my flesh. Inside my cells. If you use that precision and focus, it should not be outside your ability.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »
Asher zoned out about one fourth of the way into her rambling, glazed eyes staring at a point just over her shoulder. Oh, sure, maybe what she was going on about was very interesting and all, but the fucks he gave about any of it was infinitesimal. Not like it benefited him any.

What did catch his interest was that last bit.

Asher's eyes snapped into focus and for a moment he just stared at the scientist.

And then he smiled, a slow, vicious smile that didn't touch his eyes.

"It's on, bitch."

That was something he could happily pour his entire heart and mind into--hurting her--and he leaped straight into it, focusing hard on her fingertips, thinking of biting cold and frostbite, channeling every ounce of his mind and ability into blackening her fingers. His ability wasn't quite strong enough for that, but it wasn't long before they began to turn blue, and it didn't stop him from pouring all his will into it in the vain hope that he could rot her hand right off her arm. Humans were made of mostly water; he was intimately familiar with water. While he wasn't familiar with the components that made up blood, he could feel the water in her cells and that was what he hardened and froze, slowly creeping from her fingers to her hand and beyond.

Blue

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »
If he was hoping to see some kind of pain on her face, he would be disappointed. Poised and unreadable as ever, Asuka didn’t so much as blink in response to her slowly cooling fingers, not even as they went blue. He was making an admirable effort of it, and she could see the strain of concentration in him. The body was, in fact, made mostly of water - true for many creatures. But to be able to single out those molecules among everything else did take a great deal of concentration, and so for her part, she was pleased at his performance.

Tapping the pen gently against the clipboard with her other hand, she sat and waited very patiently. She would wait until he had to stop, until his endurance or abilities limited him, and then take note of how far he’d gotten.
In the meantime, she had a few words to speak, and again it was as if she were pondering to herself rather than trying to strike up conversation.

“I wonder if you were so vicious before coming here, or if it is due to this place.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 11:19:20 am »
That burst of power and energy was short-lived; Asher could not maintain such levels for longer than several seconds. Before long, no matter how much he wanted to keep going, pain started to throb between his eyes, and that soon turned from a dull ache to a sharp, icepick pain jabbing him mercilessly--the transition was fast and sudden with only a second of warning.

With a cry, his focus broke and so did the connection, and with it the pain left as quickly as it came.

Palm pressed to his forehead, Asher took quick, gulping breaths of air. Sweat had beaded along his skin from the sheer mental exertion, and his skin looked ashen, eyes tired. He glanced up at the scientist as she spook and his eyes narrowed.

"What do you think?"

Blue

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »
Asuka gave a dispassionate once-over of her hand, and then wrote a few quick notes onto the clipboard. With a flick of her wrist, her hand abruptly returned to normal - no signs of frostbite to be found.
“A moderately high degree of control. Stamina is lacking. Overall power is also lacking.”
She mused quietly, but her voice was deadpan and unreadable as always.
Finally she returned her solitary eye to Asher, as if only just realizing he had replied to her.

Reaching out with her free hand, she passed her fingertips by his sweat-laden brow, almost close enough to brush his skin. With the motion came a feeling like a cool autumn breeze.
With that, he would find his fatigue abating much quicker than average.
“Since you asked, my opinion is that you were never very personable to begin with. Your social skills were likely always ‘prickly’ around others. However, this environment has probably bred a certain degree of maliciousness in you, if only for the sake of self-preservation and to fuel your hatred.”

She went back to writing on her clipboard.
“Intense cerebral pain with exertion, as well as mental and physical fatigue. Weaknesses that are likely to be rectified with proper solutions.”
She seemed to ponder quietly again for a moment.
“I would like to try a training regiment to see if your stamina can be improved by sheer practice. If not, I feel that you might be a good candidate for medical manipulations to stimulate your abilities.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:56:26 pm »
Asher chuckled, the sound bitter and mirthless. "Nice deduction. This place ain't exactly th' happy-feels-let's-hold-hands-an'-love-each-other place. You'd go crazy, too."

Letting out a breath, he leaned back on his hands and took a moment to regain his bearings. Whatever she'd done to him, he did feel a little better--or less tired, anyway--and so he went back to halfheartedly listening to her as she scrawled on her clipboard. He scowled at her as he picked up some of what she was saying. Really? She could have just asked and he would have told her what happened when he exerted himself too much!

Fucking scientists.

He was staring off into space when she directly addressed him, and he blinked blandly at her for a few seconds before what she'd said registered.

"Wha?" He did not like the sound of that. "Medical manipulations? Th' fuck ya mean, 'medical manipulations'? What kinda medical manipulations?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal