Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Mentor No. 3 (Charlemangel)  (Read 510 times)

Anonymous

Mentor No. 3 (Charlemangel)
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:43:17 am »
[OOC: I wanted to call the thread 'Third Time Lucky' but there was already a thread called that, interestingly enough by me xD]

When Vyomini read the email from her new mentor, first she thought ‘at last’, then she panicked, then she tidied her side of the dorm. She had neglected to do it what with having no mentor to berate her for it. During the process of tidying, she panicked some more. Though they couldn’t be worse than Dyerlich or Backofen could they? Actually yes, yes they could, they could be like Pilot Rosales who solved problems with sledgehammers. Eep.

Even though it had been text on the screen, Vyomini couldn’t help imagining the suspicion in the pilot’s voice saying the words ‘unless I find out there were other reasons your previous mentors left you’. Though that was not her fault, and Dyerlich she shared with other candidates so if it was, then Phenyo and Devi would be to blame as well. Still as long she kept her head down and behaved there was no reason to punish her…

So after a night of not very much sleep, she crawled out of bed, wide awake at 0200 hours. After which she showered and dressed. Then she studied till about 0330 when she went to the candidates rec for a cereal bar and glass of juice before studying some more.

And not wanting to be late, she arrived at the door of the labs at 0415. Though the walk there had seemed both very long and very short at the same time, the human brain was strange sometimes. Vyomini took a deep breath wondering what they would be like, before knocking on the door.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Mentor No. 3 (Charlemangel)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:45:49 am »
((It's a good thing you started the thread then, I might have gone for the cheese

This was the second day in a row Jory couldn't get any sleep.  During the early morning after the first night while skimming through Candidate reports on his laptop in an attempt to build up a dull stupor he eventually came across Vyomini Sema's.

It was 0300 and all of the carefully cultivated boredom he was working up was doomed when he glanced over her Mentor information and found no current information, over two previous Mentors.

Dyerlich, currently missing.

Backofen, currently missing.

Intriguing.  Quite a few for a stage one Candidate, and it wasn't the usual trading or reassigning that happened when a Candidate had more than one Mentor.  What unfortunate luck.

That freak occurrence, coupled with snags in the lightweight rocket launcher research and plain disinterest in effort spent making something more convenient instead of more deadly, was just enough to spark up a little interest in the girl.  Work, a few hours later in the morning, was one of 'those' days and inspired a few emails to Candidate Affairs, which ended in him becoming Vyomini Sema's third Mentor.  The last one if things went the way he wanted.  It was about time he took a Candidate.  Might as well take one that was something more than just 'Candidate so-n-so, stage x'.  

Jory might have been able to pick up a few hours of sleep if he didn't stay in his apartment in the Citadel the night before he set up the initial meeting with Vyomini.  Better sleepless, with circles under his eyes than groggy from a few short, interrupted hours.  He left at 0300, took his time traveling to the ATC and still arrived at the lab well before 0400, but Jory would be damned if he couldn't find something to keep him from drumming his fingers against a table.

The tap at the door made him tap a button on his PDA, setting idle on the table he was leaning into, jarring it from idle mode so he could see the time.  0415.  There was no wasted effort from her previous Mentors.  He squinted at the door, concentrated and turned the knob just enough to turn it slightly.  "Come in Sema."

There wasn't much he could do about the circles under his eyes without looking obvious.  Other than that, he had plenty of time to prepare for the morning.  His uniform was crisply pressed, boots gleaming even in the dim light from the light Jory had on halfway across the lab.  Hair newly ironed so it was pin straight, gleaming and, though he considered what use rough nails would have with a Candidate, he filed them into blunt uniformity.  The edge of his nails could barely reach the skin of the lemon cradled in one hand.  The fruit had two nails sticking out of the middle like tiny antennae.  After tapping the PDA, Jory picked up a small light with long stripped wires coming from the bottom, hooked the coiled end of one wire around a nail and eased the second one toward the other nail.

As the wire brushed the nail the light flickered.  Jory wasn't paying much attention to the fruit battery now that the girl was here.  He looked up, elbows still propped up against on the table and the little light winking, a hint of a grin on his face.  How was she going to approach him?  Was a girl that had gone through two Mentors bold, or would she be more reserved?

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:35:37 am »
After a moment’s pause, the door handle turned slightly and a voice asked her to come in. She did so without question. Inside was a pilot, judging by his uniform, she assumed was her mentor.

“Pilot Aeglaeca?”

Vyomini wasn’t entirely sure if she had pronounced his name correctly, but she guessed that had she attempted to scan his mind for the correct one, it probably would have been closed off. Pilot’s minds usually were.

As mentors went, he was certainly less strange looking than Dyerlich, but did appear to be holding a lemon with two nails in it, and it was powering a light bulb…That was rather unusual. Like her, it appeared he also had slept badly, if he had even slept at all. Other than the dark rings however, it looked as though he was careful about his appearance. He made her feel a bit out of place with her unnatural and untidy silver hair and slightly baggy uniform.

When he looked up from the lemon and grinned at her, she was a little taken aback. Pilots smiling wasn’t always a good thing.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:21:59 am »
(( o//o That's the last time I interrupt myself mid-OOC because 'zomg I have to put this bit in 8D'.  *makes mental note to check entire post while trying to proofread*))

The moment Vyomini stepped in the door Jory began peeking at her thoughts.  To see just how strong her shields were, whether or not she would resist, whether or not she could recognize the static of another psychic hovering around.  Jory kept a thin shield up over his own mind, over his regular shields.  Not to keep her out the thoughts he didn't mind other Pilots pouring over, just to see if she could recognize the flimsy thing and if she would do anything confronted with it.

There were brief notes about her powers in her report, but Jory wanted to see what she was capable of.  It was too soon to start pushing her to show off, so he'd need to see if he could tease anything free.

So far she was playing it safe.  

He set the lemon and light aside and nodded.  "Jory Aeglaeca, Pilot Cardinal."  He pushed himself upright and began walking toward Vyomini, slowly.  Taking a pack of cigarettes and a light from his pocket after giving her a quick once over.  Such a little thing, like a child in a costume.  Something would have be done about that uniform.  There was no way she was going to continue running around in what looked like hand me downs.  Jory stopped a pace away from the girl to light his cigarette, take a drag and clamp the hand that was free now that the cigarette was in his mouth down on one of her narrow shoulders.

"From now on, when you address me the first word out of your mouth will be sir," smoke curled out of his mouth with the words, after sir he paused to blow the rest out above her.  "The only time it won't is when you need to say something without being spoken to first.  Then, you will say 'Pilot Aeglaeca, I have a question, sir' or 'Pilot Aeglaeca, I have something to report, sir'."  He tightened his hand on her shoulder for a second, a not so subtle indicator of what was in store if she forgot.  "From now on, you're just Vyomini Sema to me.  Just a girl with a little more going on upstairs than most other people.  Once you prove that you're worth this country's time and credit I'll start calling you Candidate."  

Jory slid his hand across her shoulder and up her neck, pulling away until only the edge of his finger was in contact when he reached her chin.  "Now, tell me what sort of schedule they've got you on."

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:29:46 am »
As soon as she entered the room, she could sense the Pilot’s presence in her mind; she strengthened her shields but knew there wasn’t a lot of point in it. She just guessed she should get in the habit of doing it should any of the other candidates try and peer at her thoughts.

When Pilot Aeglaeca started walking towards her, she could almost feel him appraising her, as had both her mother mentors; as if they were summing up if she was worth keeping.

She fought the urge to flinch when the pilot put his hand on her shoulder. Even though she had only met Backofen once, he had told her to ‘grow a spine’. She had tried to heed this advice; it didn’t stop her being scared though. As Aeglaeca continued, she couldn’t help thinking “Like I would dare to not call him ‘sir’ or Pilot Aeglaeca’.” He was a far higher rank then her, not that she really had a rank, and he was responsible for her passing, therefore it was only right she show him the proper respect. And the way his hand tightened suggested that she really did not want to find out what would happen if she broke that rule.

She was a little taken aback by the comment about being just ‘a girl with a little more going one upstairs’, she had her flaws but her psychic abilities were pretty good compared to some of the other candidates…And her academic work had gotten much better, most likely because whenever she wasn’t in class she was generally studying, even if it was in the library because of her male roommate who she wasn’t quite comfortable with yet. She supposed Aeglaeca was a little suspicious about the fact she had gone through two mentors, which was understandable but still not her fault.

Then Aeglaeca slid his hand up her neck, she couldn’t help but flinch. She was used to girls hugging her and the like now but not males and certainly not pilots. Added to that this pilot didn’t seem the friendly type and the way he did it seemed very threatening. Even the question seemed threatening no matter how innocuous it sounded. And the last time a pilots hand had been anywhere near her neck she had ended up with their name carved into her, and that name was still there.

“Sir…I have to be up by 0500 and ready by 0530, then I have classes between 0630 until 1800, after which I usually study and do any assigned work.”

[OOC I honestly did not have a clue about the Candidates schedule, hooray for blagging]

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:10:55 am »
((Should be all good as long as they don't have three hour martini lunches and regularly scheduled down time XD))

Instead of bashing through her shields immediately when they were put up, Jory did the mental equivalent of circling and sniffing them.  Not bad, for a child.  He eased in closer to her shields, pressing close enough to get an idea of what sort of feelings were going through her mind.

The mental equivalent of rolling her eyes after explaining how she was to address him.  Maybe this was old news, maybe Dyerlich and Backofen had specific instructions on how she was supposed to address them.  He'd have to wait for the first time she tried to speak to him without being spoken to first to see if it sunk in.

Then there was what seemed like shock or wounded pride.  Good, he wanted her to feel like jumping through a couple hoops to 'show him up'.  They wouldn't get anywhere if he fawned over her.

He kept contact when she flinched, uncurling his fingers as she was talking and running the hand on the underside of her jaw before pulling away and crossing his arms loosely.  "I'd find a little time afterward to get to the gym.  You shouldn't rely on the group exercises to get you fit enough.  There will be evaluations after Stage 1.  Start working on your speed and endurance, they'll come in handy when you go through hand to hand combat."

Jory took another drag on his cigarette, blowing the smoke over Vyomini's head.  "I've removed you from the small arms course the other gracies are going to take.  I'll be instructing you personally.  We'll begin next week, I'll send you the time and location."

He paused, watching her expressions for a moment and ashed his cigarette, flicking it toward the trash bin by the door.  One of the first things that came to mind whenever he learned Dyerlich mentored a candidate was wondering where his name was carved into them.  It was a strange technique, stamping a candidate with your name.  Even more when they were required to show off the unfortunate mark.  "Show me where Dyerlich marked you."

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:44:37 am »
“Yes, sir,” Vyomini replied when he said she had to find time to get to the gym.

She hated physical things and was no good at them, but then she wouldn’t pass otherwise, she’d have to just get on with it. Hand-to-hand sounded potentially lethal though, any of the other candidates could probably break her like a twig…

Vyomini was surprised when Pilot Aeglaeca told her he would be instructing her on small arms. She guessed that was probably his area and it was only natural if it was that he wanted his candidate to be good at it too. At least it sounded safer than hand-to-hand combat.

When Aeglaeca asked to where Dyerlich had marked her, she wondered if he was going to make her show it off again. Which would be rather strange considering she wasn’t his candidate anymore. However, she obeyed and began unbuttoning her jacket far enough so ‘Dyerlich’ was clearly visible across her clavicle.

She remembered getting that scar very clearly, and it had hurt. She had even foolishly tried to get him do it with one of her icicles. From that experience she learnt something; never argue with a pilot, it won’t get you anywhere.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 05:35:34 am »
"Siiir, yes siiir," Jory rapped the edge of his finger against her nose with each word.  Hissed the s's, growled a little on the r, drawled.

How did the saying go?  A candidate is the shadow of his mentor.  Something like that.  Jory tried to imagine Vyomini with a face full of ink, going out to bars to find a 'friend' to toy with.  He couldn't, but she was still new.  Then there was the chance that she would just skip back a generation, take something that Hasdrubal impressed on him.  All of that would take time, of course.

Then there was hand to hand class.  He remembered going through a basic class when he was in Stage 1, so the more time she spent working out, the better.  If he remembered correctly, there was a fairly new Stage 5 that started a hand to hand class.  A slight woman, something like how Vyomini might look with a little exercise.  She could teach the girl something she might be able to use.

She'd still catch a beating if she wasn't prepared, but at least she would have an instructor that was in her shoes at one point.

Jory tilted his head to the side a little when Vyomini started undoing her jacket's buttons.  Would Dyerlich have really written his name across her- No.  It was across her collar bones.  Maybe if he settled for his initials, Dyerlich could have written them in the place Jory was originally thinking.  Once the jacket was open he curled his upper lip.  No matter where the name was scrawled, it would have been an eyesore.  Even a tattoo of some other person's name was distasteful.  This one had even less going for it, large and scarred over and obvious.

"Have you been given clearance to have that thing removed?  I'll sign the release if Backofen didn't.  There's no need for you to have that failure's name scratched into you now."

He took another drag, longer than the others, filling his lungs with smoke before blowing it out.  "Now's the time to ask me any questions, if you have them."

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:46:51 am »
She had to say sir at the beginning and end of anything she said, she would remember that. At least he hadn’t punished her for the mistake. How many times had she made ‘a mistake’ around a pilot? Too many and yet here she still was, in one piece and more importantly still there.

It seemed her thought that Pilot Aeglaeca didn’t want Dyerlich’s name on his student was true, since he asked her if she had been allowed to her it removed. As of yet, no but Backofen had never asked about it. Then again she had only met him once.

“Sir, no I haven’t been given clearance, sir.”

It would be good to get rid of the scar, she didn’t hate Dyerlich but he was gone and he wasn’t her candidate anymore. It just brought back memories of pain. She was grateful for Aeglaeca for that at least. Otherwise…she wasn’t sure what she thought of him yet. Like Dyerlich she couldn’t tell what he was like in the few minutes since she had made his acquaintance. Though with Dyerlich it had actually been she thought she knew what he was like, but discovered she was mistaken.

“Sir, I don’t have any questions, sir.”

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:26:11 am »
Jory crossed his eyes slightly the first time Vyomini sir-ed him twice, one corner of his lips twitching at the second one.  It was technically what he asked of her, but she was going a little above and beyond.  Though it wasn't exactly what he wanted from her, there was no reason to discourage whatever was influencing her to add more.  Whether it was from partially hearing him because she was on autopilot courtesy of the hour.  Unlikely, even though he was 'eavesdropping' at the edge of her shields her thoughts appeared to be keen.  Or because she had enough drive to apply more of herself to whatever she'd been ordered to do, or even something between those two.

There was no need to mull over her lack of questions.  He only offered her a chance to ask now as a courtesy.  A chance to get anything off her chest and get an answer, no matter what it was.  Not that she wouldn't get answers in the future, provided she didn't ask stupid questions and remembered how to ask them.

Marren, remind me to send medical a clearance form for Sema.

Adding to To Do list:  Message medical to delete Dyerscar from cut candidate.  As usual, Marren's telepathy was like a performance spacecraft racing through a residential zone at full speed.  Loud, easily noticed by any psychic around it, and just like a person in the residential zone they didn't need to do much to see what it was.  Any Pilot could listen in on anything Marren was 'pathing.  He didn't know how a new candidate would react to such a strong telepathic echo.

He turned and walked to the closest lab table, dragging out one of the stools and sitting on it with his back to the table.  Once he was settled, he nudged the stool next to it out with the sole of his boot.  "If you weren't a psychic, what would you be doing now?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal