Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Damaged Goods (Kitsy ^^)  (Read 959 times)

Anonymous

Damaged Goods (Kitsy ^^)
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:38:27 pm »
[OOC: Set 7 years ago]

Latona felt along the wall until she found the release for the door. Her roommate had gone out already so she was left to her own devices and left to find the room she was supposed to meet her mentor in on her own. Not an easy task when you were blind.

Marshal, in some condemning attempt to ‘teach her a lesson’ had taken her eyesight and it was certainly making her life difficult. The person she disliked most in the world, apart from Marshal, was having to read her text books to her and she had no guarantee he wasn’t deliberately telling her the wrong things. And simple tasks were so much harder and most of the time she had to ask her roommate or others for help; she hated asking for help.

The night before she had had a rather difficult conversion with her mother over the phone, how did you tell you parent that you disobeyed a pilot so they took away your eyesight, maybe forever? Latona certainly couldn’t think of a way and so hadn’t told her.

She was glad that Marshal was not her mentor and she hoped that her mentor was nicer than him, but they could also be worse. She didn’t really know anything about them except that they were called Pilot Blake. For all she knew they could be some kind of monster who delighted in mutilating their candidates…Or worse they could be a happy person who was always smiling in a sickeningly sweet way. Though that wasn’t likely considering they were a pilot.

Latona sighed as she started to feel along the wall, she had no idea how she was going to find this room. Since it had become necessary she had tried teaching herself to ‘see’ with her psychic powers or at least sense things but so far all she could work out were vague walls, no details just walls, which would be problematic when it came to finding the room number. Damn Marshal, damn him to the lowest level of the fiery underworld.

After wandering for a few minutes Latona gave up and sat down on the floor, carefully since her wings were still broken, her shoulder resting against the nearest wall. It was hopeless and she was probably late as well, but since she couldn’t see she couldn’t look at any clocks. Added to that the corridor she was currently in sounded deserted so she couldn’t ask anyone the way. If she couldn’t even handle this, she was going to fail. She’d end up as a TRIM experiment to be lobotomised and dissected.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had cried but she certainly felt like crying now.

“Damn Marshal! Damn him! Damn him! Damn him!” she yelled as she systematically punched the nearest wall leaving a rather large dent in it.

If she ever became a pilot, as unlikely as it was she was going to kill him slowly and painfully! And it wouldn’t be with cowardly psychic powers. It would be with her bare fists!

Slumping against the wall more, the moment of rage passed and she realised that if she did indeed kill him she would probably get TRIMed for that too…or killed…Frankly the latter seemed more appealingly…

Latona pushed herself to her feet again and started walking. Maybe if she was really lucky she might actually find someone to help her…Or if she was really, really, astronomically lucky her mentor might come and find her…and probably punish her…It was a lose-lose situation….

“Might as well try and find them,” she muttered to herself “Its not like my situation can get any worse…”

Well it could but it was unlikely.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:02:07 pm by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Re: Damaged Goods (Kitsy ^^)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:48:06 pm »
After talking to Marshal and doing some research on her own into her Candidate, she had realized that she was dealing with quite an interesting character. Especially since Marshal had blinded her, which most likely made her even more volatile than she had been in the first place. The man was infuriating, now she would have to fix that little sight problem. Though, she was sure that Latona most likely deserved it.

She walked around the ATC her red heels clicking against the hard shining floor. She always seemed to light up the hall when she came through. Today she was wearing a long sleeve red dress that cut off above her knees. It was just a little bit flowy but clung to her in different places.  Her expression was serious, she was pretty, but it was obvious she wasn't someone you wanted to play around with.

Arms swung at her side as she walked looking for her very late candidate. She felt out with her mind imagining the pictures of Latona clear in her mind. This candidate was probably off destroying ATC property, hurting another candidate, or even getting beat up on by another Pilot. She just had that feeling about Latona. From what she had heard she was quite bipolar.

A voice clued Danica in to what she was looking for. A screaming winged Latona was slamming her fist against the wall. Danica crossed her arms and stopped a little ways down the hallway from the candidate. She tilted her head at the girl her hair draping down her shoulder. She sighed heavily as the girl stood back up.

"Candidate Latona, I believe you'll hurt yourself more than the wall if you keep up that habit." She reached into Latona's mind very precisely. The girl wouldn't even feel it most likely. She went directly to where the sight was connected. She smiled, she had to admit despite how...annoying Marshal was he did good work in the mind. She could always spot his handy work.

"I'm going to fix your eyesight, I can put it right back like this. Remember that. I'm your Mentor, Pilot Noble Blake." She returned Latona's eyesight instantly. She gave a small smile to Latona not looking quite as threatening.

"Danica Blake."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:15 pm »
Latona flinched when she heard a voice, she hadn’t heard anyone approaching. If people sneaking on up was going to be a regular occurrence that would be irritating. When the person spoke she was a little relieved that it was an adult which meant they were unlikely to be there simply to taunt her. Then she realised that the voice was inside her head…The speaker was most likely a pilot…

“It didn’t hurt…” Latona replied, turning slightly as she tried to determine where whoever was talking to her was standing, “I’m stronger than most people.”

Despite her rather small stature Latona was very physically strong, more so then most men, a perk of not being human.

She would have made a comment about imagining the wall to be Marshal’s face but at this point that was not a good idea. It was probably in her best interest to assume all pilots would do something drastic if she didn’t behave.

Then the pilot spoke again, the woman was her mentor? Well at least she hadn’t made her deaf for punching the wall…that had to be a good sign, right? The moment Pilot Blake stopped talking Latona’s eyesight then returned. After the initial shock of the bright lights she was able to look at her mentor. She looked quite young and didn’t look much like a soldier except for the look in her eyes which suggested you should never ever get on her nerves. And the pilot’s threat that she could blind Latona again reinforced that. At least she could see now, that was one less thing to worry about…as long as she behaved and didn’t run into any touchy pilots who punished you for tiny things and as long as Blake wasn’t one of those pilots.

When ‘Danica’ introduced herself Latona didn’t really know what to do. How did you respond to a pilot? Did they want you to salute or were you supposed to introduce yourself, though Danica did know Latona’s name already. In fact it was rather strange that the woman had referred to her as ‘Candidate Latona’ and not ‘Candidate Eisurin’.

Still not really sure what to do she simply said, “…Nice to meet you, Pilot Blake…Thank you for restoring my eyesight.”

Hopefully use of the title would make up for ignorance of etiquette…though it pained her, being polite was not one of her strengths.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:16:00 am by Anonymous »

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:42:17 am »
Danica couldn't help but smile at Latona. She thought that she was strong? She could be, but that doesn't give her as much of an advantage as she thinks it does. Especially here. She took a deep breath as she looked at her Candidate.  The girl's mind was full of confusion however. Which as weird as it seemed was certainly a good sign around this place. Being a candidate wasn't easy. Sometimes enjoyable, but never easy. Danica had enjoyed herself as a candidate but not many did.

"Really how could I have you functioning as a Candidate without you eyesight? Far more trouble for me than it's worth." She turned from Latona and waved for her to follow her. She could give her the speech on strength later. With the girl frustrated it would most likely be useless. She wagged a finger for Latona to follow her down the hallway.

She was going to take her to see the dragon's soon. She always liked to start off her Candidates that way, as they had something more to fear, respect and Danica thought, to look forward to. Plus, Roland always asked to see the Candidates early on. He loved to meet new people. Despite how he normally tried to scared them when he did meet them. Though really that wasn't that different from Danica herself.

"I trust you have figured out where mostly everything is..." Then Danica stopped herself. "Or at least the feel of everything. Is there anything you needed help finding. This place is somewhat like a maze I know." Danica looked over her shoulder at the Candidate.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:31:37 am »
Latona couldn’t help squinting, after going from darkness the white walls and bright lights were taking some getting used to. Still she wasn’t going to complain, she’d readjust to it and at least her chances of passing had gone up somewhat. And she wouldn’t have to put up with that jerk Alei reading textbooks to her. As soon as Danica had finished with her she was going to check what he had been telling her was correct, and if it wasn’t then she would hate to be him when she found him.

Latona turned her gaze back to her mentor who was smiling, it was a little unnerving. Then Danica said something rather sensible, she would be a pretty poor candidate without her eyesight. Maybe Marshal had punished her that way because he knew he wasn’t going to be her mentor, something Latona was actually glad about. Still it seemed rude of him to hinder someone else who was trying to teach her.

When Danica indicated she should follow, she did. There was no sense in being difficult. Besides she hadn’t decided yet whether she liked or disliked her mentor. But she had a pretty good incentive to behave herself.

“I trust you have figured out where mostly everything is... Or at least the feel of everything. Is there anything you needed help finding. This place is somewhat like a maze I know.”

No, she hadn’t worked out where everything was, but now she could actually see door signs it would be easier.

“No, I’m fine,” Latona replied.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:37:22 pm »
A thin brow raised at Latona. Danica shrugged inside her mind as she felt Roland show up here peeking in through her eyes to see the candidate. She could almost see him in her mind shaking his huge head. She was sure Latona would be sad later when she realized it was much easier to get lost than she thought. She obviously wasn't clued in yet that shortly after the new wave of candidates would come in the older year students would move around a couple key signs. That's really all they needed to do to help a new candidate get very, very lost.

She detected some words about Marshal floating around in Latona's head. Though she wanted to agree with her on several points she also knew if Marshal caught wind of her thoughts it would mean interesting things for her. Removing sight was just the beginning. Danica's brow furrowed before she spoke trying to make the words seem mostly true. She went with an intermediate comment.

"And Latona, I'd think your thoughts about Marshal a bit quieter. He is a colleague of mine after all. You don't want to be thinking wrong thoughts in case he pops up out of nowhere." That worked, she hadn't really defended him just warned her. "He does what he does to get results. Like all of us must." That last part was a little scarier and a little bit defending him. She sighed to herself. She just couldn't help it really. Their history always clouded her hate just a little. Perhaps only to make herself feel better.

Danica continued walking towards the exit at the front of the building. She knew Roland would be sitting there right on the front lawn waiting or them. Even if she had tried to show the candidate somewhere else first he would have appeared somehow. Which seemed to be much easier for the dragons that it should have been. He was a narcissist in many ways. Which she probably would have been as well if she was in his situation. He assumed for a most people he was the best motivation they needed to pass.

In many ways Danica thought he was right. The candidates were shooting for a dragon to accept them. They had to pass to even get to that step. Work very hard. Plus these dragons represented the most freedom these candidates would ever be offered again. Danica pushed the door open slowly and there he was. Taking up most of he field of vision. Danica's best friend, boss, owner, father figure in a way. It all depended on how you looked at him. She glanced at Latona trying to see the dragons through her eyes. Huge and threatening most likely.

Danica couldn't help but smile at the dragon, she hoped seeing a dragon this close up hadn't been ruined for Latona yet. Then quickly she remembered she had been blind up to a moment ago. She smiled a little wider to herself.

Roland blinked at Latona. He was rusty orange color with some yellow outlines of scales. Different color metal plates seemed randomly placed around his body. He had a face of old mythical dragons. Danica always told him he looked like he had a mustache. She sometimes called him Grandpa Dragon. He wasn't a huge fan of that, or at least pretended he wasn't.

His voice was in both of their heads next. He had a somewhat soft mental voice despite his size. It was deep but always seemed soothing. Something you might imagine a very attractive man having.

"Birds of a feather stick together eh?"

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:50:18 am »
[OOC: If you don't want to do this thread anymore just let me know]

By the way Danica raised her eyebrow when she said she would be fine finding her way around, Latona guessed she didn’t believe her. How hard could it be? That’s what psychic powers and signs were for. And if she even found herself late, a combination of wings and telekinesis would soon solve that problem…when her wings healed anyway.

How was she supposed to think quieter? She was already shielding her mind as much as she could to stop snooping candidates reading her thoughts. And she didn’t like the idea of Marshal randomly popping up out of nowhere, Bas-…Right ‘quiet thoughts’, quiet thoughts.

Latona followed her mentor out of the exit, the only one she had actually seen since it was the way she had come in. And she wouldn’t be able to use it again without a pilot, until she became one anyway.

When they got outside, Latona had to stop for a moment. There was a very large dragon on the front lawn. It was most definitely bigger than she imagined and, as she had thought during orientation, could probably eat her. And could was always better than actually. Anything that could kill her was perfectly fine in Latona’s book, unless it was actually trying to kill her, that would just be unpleasant.

She started walking again to catch up to Danica. The closer she got the dragon, the bigger it looked… Wait, did it have a moustache?

Then it started talking…well pathing to them. ‘Birds of a Feather’ what was that supposed to mean?

[OOC: We should totally do a thread with the pair in the present, watch Latona regress to her candidate years xD]

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:49 am »
A wider smile came across Danica's lips. Roland always tended to make her smile. They had a very close relationship that developed over the years of them being paired off together. They understood each other very well. Danica's age and his were closer than most Pilot pairs were. She bowed before him with a laugh that sounded sort of like a bird. She walked forward as he moved his head down to the ground and she placed a hand on his huge snout.

"And this, is Roland." She tilted her head towards the dragon like Latona could miss it. "He is what you have to look forward to, should you pass, which I hope to make sure of." It was obvious that Danica was in a bit of a better mood around her dragon. "Imagine the sheer power you have paired up with one of these creatures. Now take what you can imagine and multiply it several times. That might come close to how it feels to know these guys are on your side."

You might make me blush Dani. I promise Latona she's not as bad as she looks. His voice spread to both their minds easily, his eyes showing the emotion he felt.

"Don't give me away so easily Roland. I'm no cuddling mentor. I guess I have a heart buried in here somewhere." She crossed her arms leaning back from Roland who gave a snuff of air in her direction blowing back her dress and hair. She turned towards Latona and here facial expression had turned back to being more serious.

"You'll be seeing more of Roland as you pass stages, which I expect you to do. As you do Latona, you'll understand more and more what it is to be a Pilot. This first section should be easy for you, and I expect no less. I'll be here if you need me but I'm not holding your hand through it."

(OOC: PM me about it or I'll post on your plotting center thing about it. ^_^)

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:27 am »
Danica greeted her dragon like it was a childhood friend, Latona always thought dragons were just the pilots’ bosses and saw the pilots as the underlings they were. Then again, they were supposed to personalities, right? Maybe this was a little unusual, or maybe the stories about the dragons weren’t entirely true. She guessed she’d find out.

It certainly sounded like a good thing to have a dragon partner; Danica was certainly selling it well. It kind of made Latona wonder what she had been before being drafted. And the ‘birds of a feather’ comment made her a little curious…her mentor kind of did look like a bird, her eyes especially.

And Latona wasn’t worried about Danica not being a ‘cuddling mentor’ she didn’t come here to be mollycoddled, she came to become a pilot.

“I don’t need anyone to ‘hold my hand’,” Latona said matter-of-factly, “There’s no point otherwise.”

Then as an after thought added, “Pilot Blake.”

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 12:24:00 pm »
"I do not really have to sell it well. It is the truth." Danica smiled up at Roland and turned her eyes back to Latona. She was connected deep into the Candidate's brain at the moment, feeling out her reactions and testing to see how strong her powers were. She didn't seem like she would be that disappointing. At least Danica hoped, some Candidates that came though just seemed so...pointless. Why some weren't shipped directly to TRIM from their doorstep she would never know.

Latona was awfully focused on the bird of a feather thing as well, thought anything said by a Dragon would deserve some focus especially when it was so vague. Maybe she'd share that with Latona sometime today.

"Thanks Roland for the appearance." The dragon gave a huge nod and coiled himself then shot into the air. He moved quickly for being so large. The wind from him blew around Danica and Latona like a sudden wind storm and was gone just as quickly. Danica looked away from the disappearing spot of Roland and back to Latona. She almost felt sorry for Latona, she was given one of the stricter Mentors in the Citadel. Well, at least she didn't have Marshal, most of his methods were far more questionable.

"Now, most students won't be studying too far off of their courses, you though," She pointed at Latona. "Will be a bit more challenged. I want you to impress me the whole way through. I may be strict and give you a hell of a workload, but you will thank me later." She gave a soft smile and started walking again directing Latona to follow her back into the ATC. She walked at a quick pace expecting the Candidate to keep up. She also left a psychic tendril on her at all times.

"While we're walking to the Library do you have any questions?"

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:33:31 am »
Of course Danica was reading her mind…how had she forgotten that? All the pilots she had encountered so far were always in your mind. So you had to be careful about your thoughts.

Latona was impressed when the dragon deftly shot up into the air; it looked too big to be able to accomplish something so graceful. She didn’t admire it for long however as the wind caused by its sudden movement blew her wings slightly. Considering they were broken this was not a pleasant sensation.

When Danica said she was going to challenger her, she found she didn’t mind. If she was going to be a pilot she might as well be a good one. And she’d be free once she became a pilot…well free-er anyway. Four years give or take wasn’t that long really.  

“No,” Latona replied when Danica asked her if she had any questions.

Though she did think that the library was not one of the most interesting places. Still, it sounded like she would have to use it, a lot.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:28:14 am »
Danica looked over her shoulder. No questions hmmm? Either this one caught on pretty quickly or was stubborn. Danica would bet on the stubborn one more often than the former. Danica walked along her shoes clicking on the floor as she walked. She could feel Latona walking behind her so didn't take a pause to look back as she began to speak.

"If you have questions you better ask them. I will be available to you but you will find there are times when I cannot be with you constantly. My other duties will compromise my time." She held a up a finger like she was pointing out a thought. "I am available by e-mail of course, which you should have on the directory on your terminal in your room." She stopped by the library door opening it for Latona and directing her in. She lead her over to one of the terminals.

"You can figure out your new sign in information later on. Or you may have already." Danica stopped for a moment her hands on the keys waiting for Roland to feed her the information she needed. Her thin fingers moved quickly over the keys. A long, very long, list of books came up on the screen. Danica scrolled through them quickly then printed them out.

"These will be your assignment for awhile. As of right now you have no deadline for the extras on the list. Those are marked with my name instead of the class name." She points it out on the screen in front of them. "But I'd suggest learning to read fast if you don't already." At this moment she spares a look around the room at Candidates who are looking up at her then their gaze goes back down to her books as she looks up.

It was good to be a Pilot sometimes.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:13:47 am »
She couldn’t think of anything she wanted to ask but she wasn’t sure she would ask Danica if any arose later. Mentors probably got annoyed at candidates always emailing them. She knew she would.

She followed Danica into the library and was…a little impressed. She hadn’t been in many libraries, but as libraries went this was a pretty cool one. Still it was a library and it was full of books, but also computers. Computers were always good. She could handle computers.

When Danica asked whether she already figured out her sign in information, she couldn’t help thinking, “Yeah…I was blind since the morning of my first day until a few minutes ago…So no, no I haven’t.”

The words ‘quiet thoughts’ echoed through her mind again. Maybe she should write that somewhere on her person so she would always remember it…like her hand perhaps?

My, the list of books was long. Very long, it didn’t seem to end…She guessed she was right when she suspected Danica would get her doing a lot of reading. Maybe she could digitise the books and read them off the computer screen, thus making the process more bearable. Why did Pilots need to read so many books anyway?

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 11:53:31 am »
"To educate yourself. Trust me, you'll thank me later." She answered the candidate's thought without a blink of an eyes. Questioning was always common early on. Hopefully it would fade with the work. She handed over the list to Latona between thin fingers. She crossed her arms and looked down at Latona for a moment. There were several Aedolis history books on the list and the beginnings of psychic workings as well. A couple books about techniques.

"Now, I obviously don't expect you to be able to put all the things in these books in practice after you read them. It's just to get you thinking about them. To be aware of what you could be capable of." She nodded a small smile on her face. "Now, I could leave you here to find these books, or as many of them as you can and we could meet up later on? There's not much more to show you at the moment." She put an index finger to her chin as she looked at Latona then she looked up at the girl's wings.

"Ah well, we should probably take you to the clinic to check out those wings. They look...damaged. A bird without her wings is never good." She smiled to herself, being on the inside of a joke with just herself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal