Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Not So Lonely Traveling [Rhi-Rhi]  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Flakeblood

Not So Lonely Traveling [Rhi-Rhi]
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
Dust was forever ingrained in every conceivable part of Maite's mind. It stubbornly stuck to the bottom of her bare feet, clung to her clothing, and nested in her hair. It was a near constant on her travels, swirling over the landscape and dusting everything red. No matter the lighting, even if it was sunset as it was now, the landscape stubbornly stayed red, and refused to be any other color. Maite relished in its simplicity.

It was cooling off significantly with the approach of night, not that there hadn't been cool breezes earlier, so Maite was using this time to travel to the closest town to her. It would likely be small and worn with use, with little technology; just the way she liked it. Thanks to the cool air, any weariness she might have had over the past few days was washing away, and she no longer had to resort to panting to keep energy levels for cooling down. Regardless of how well it worked for her, she found it down right embarrassing. Average humans, as opposed to mixes like her, never used such methods.

Shaking her head, Maite brought her thoughts back to the present. She made sure to mentally mark any areas that looked promising so that she could journey back this way and search thoroughly. She planned to stay in the small town for at least a week before moving on; the area had potential for revealing some smaller plant life she hadn't yet seen. Her funds were dwindling quite a bit, and she estimated that simply buying hot meals would not be an option. She might even have to help with some menial labor about the town to pay for a room.

Maite closed her eyes as a gust picked up and tossed some more dust about. It didn't look to be anything too worrying, but Maite knew the dangers of the wilderness well enough. She didn't want to get caught out in the open if something big decided to blow through. She pulled the collar on her used-to-be-brown trench coat higher, blocking some of the debris from reaching the sides of her face.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »
Rest assured, I see all of you lovely people's posts, but expect me to be a bit slower responding.

LadyAmi

Re: Not So Lonely Traveling [Rhi-Rhi]
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
//Disregard//

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »
It had been a long day, with no sign of a settlement in sight.

Sighing, Santiago flipped open his map and stared at it with a furrowed brow and pursed lips, then peered over it at the landscape ahead. There was supposed to be a settlement just over this ridge, but here he was, standing right on the ridge with nothing but dust stretching out before him. Damnation. Either the cartographer was just bad, or the town was toast.

Neither option helped him, but he choose to assume the cartographer was just a little off. Besides, the next closest town on the map next to that one seemed not far away from that one, so if he just kept on keepin' on, he'd hit something eventually.

The wind picked up then, tossing up dust, and Santiago adjusted his wide-brimmed hat and the red bandana covering his mouth and nose. Hopefully that wasn't a small warning of something much bigger, because things could flare up unexpectedly here, so better find that town fast. Lightly nudging his gelding, Blair, with his heels, he urged the horse forward at an easy trot, down the slope and past several skeleton trees--and that's when he saw it.

Or rather, her.

At least, he figured they were a her. They were wearing a mask of some sort so the face was hard to see, and the body was mostly hidden beneath a coat, but she had long hair and that was usually a given. Usually. For now, he'd assume. Either way, she was alone but obviously traveling somewhere, because no one in their right mind would be wandering out here aimlessly.

Maybe she knew the way.

Spurring his horse on, it wasn't long before he caught up with her, slowing down as he pulled up near her so as not to spook her, because that wouldn't do any good yet.

"Howdy there," he called out to her, reaching up to tip his hat politely. "Need a lift?"

Up close, she looked even stranger than far away. The hell was with the mask? Seemed practical in a sense, he supposed, protection and all. But what a weird-ass design choice.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »
Hearing the horse approaching—or at least, Maite assumed it was a horse—she slowed her pace marginally and tensed her muscles. She'd had far too many run-ins with vigilantes and the like, so it never hurt to be cautious. It took but a few moments before the creature and its rider were in site.

Oddly enough, they pulled up in such a way that Maite was sure they were being courteous and announcing their presence. Not the M.O. for a common thief, and there didn't appear to be any more riders, for now. She looked up on the horse—she had been right!—and took in the person's appearance.

A man sat in the saddle, with rosy hair and darker scarred skin. If she had to hazard a guess, she'd say Aedolian ancestry, though she wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. He didn't look much older than her either, once she saw past the I've-been-riding-for-days look common to men on the frontier.

Traveling alone was not common, hence Maite's suspicion. Of course, she realized, a lone girl traveling about was odd as well. No horse, no shoes, no visible means of defense. People generally kept their distance from her, either because they suspected she was hiding something or she reeked of being poor. Both were true, in a way, but she didn't really care enough to change.

Well, he hadn't tried to rob her yet; that was always a plus. Her muscles relaxed again and she lowered her hands from the collar of her coat. She had also been without company for a while, so why not talk to strangers? Out here, that's sometimes all there was. Besides, he was making an effort to be polite.

"Hey there," she said, nodding her head in his direction, "I take it you're going to the nearby town too, then?"

That was really the only other reason someone would be out here, in-between towns. Or so she hoped.
Rest assured, I see all of you lovely people's posts, but expect me to be a bit slower responding.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:11:48 am »
"Yup, that's the plan," Santiago answered, then frowned, holding up his folded map and affecting the demeanor of the poor lost traveler. "'Cept the blasted map's all wrong. Ya wouldn't happen to know where it is, would you? Because I'll tell ya what, if you know the way--or a vague direction, at least--I'll letcha hitch a ride. My way's faster."

He pat Blair on the neck as he said it and the horse snorted and tossed his head. Hopefully chicky here had a clue. The sooner he got there, the sooner he could "conduct business", the sooner he could leave. And all with her kind assistance to blame.

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »
Nodding and making a sound of affirmation, Maite moved closer. Just a quick glance at the traveler's map would probably allow her to correct the mistake. She'd passed through this area before and had stayed at the town.

"You mind?" she asked, gesturing to the map. "The town is only an hour's ride from here; you aren't that far off. Probably just a mix up of these two plateaus that look so similar."

She waved her hand in the vague direction of a red plateau several miles away. There was another further off in the distance, though harder to see because of the slopes the land made and the dust swirling about.

"The town is tucked away just a bit, hard to find the proper side of the proper plateau." She gave a slight but excited grin, trying not to show her mouthful of canine teeth. "I'll show you the place and fix up yer map as we go. If'n you don't mind a couple scribbles."

Getting a ride would speed her journey up considerably. She could have probably been keeping a faster pace, but she couldn't help slowing down to admire the landscape. Riding would allow her to look around without accidentally getting sidetracked by wildlife.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:54 pm »
Santiago chuckled and shook his head. Yeah, crappy cartographer, all right. It was to be expected, though, he supposed, because there was still so much of this planet that had yet to be explored, much less mapped, and the conditions weren't too great once you got too far from any of the towers.

"Naw. What's a map but a bunch of scribbles that eventually make a picture? A few more ain't gonna hurt, 'specially if what's already there is pretty damned useless. Here."

He handed the map off to her, and then shifted forward in his saddle to make more room and offered his gloved hand for her to take. "We're gonna have to get awfully cozy here. I hope ya don't mind."

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »
Maite took the map, caressing the paper just a bit. She did not know why, but knowledge, in any form, was like water for her. She needed it, delighted in it, and sought it out. Of course, that didn't mean she was the neatest person. She hoped this guy really meant it when he said he didn't mind scribbling.

With a small laugh in her throat, she grabbed the man's hand with her free one. Of course, she didn't want to make him do all the work, and that poor horse would have enough weight without her landing on it heavily. She knew she was tall and heavy, for a woman; the least she could do was move her own weight. Tensing her leg muscles, Maite crouched the slightest bit before jumping. She was careful not to go too high, or show off any strength. She even tugged on his hand for good measure before she was sitting behind him on the saddle. The landing was gentle enough, good.

"When your out here often as I am, you don' get picky about space. Right?"

Not entirely true, since she traveled alone for a reason. She kept her distance mostly because that's what others did to her. But she wasn't about to turn down a friendly gesture either. Not from this cordial stranger. She then realized she hadn't bothered to ask his name. How rude of her, though not unusual.

"You never did intr'duce yourself." She smiled again as she shook the stranger's hand she still held. "Maite."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »
[ooc: Lmfao, I love your sig. xDDD]

"Santiago," he answered with a grin, though it was hidden behind the bandana. He gave her hand a firm shake and then released it. "It's a pleasure, Maite, and such good fortune that we found each other, eh?"

Gripping the reins, he nudged Blair into a gentle trot and they started off over the terrain, kicking up a cloud of red dust in their wake. "Might wanna hold on, Miss Maite. Don't be shy now. Also, since you've got the map, I'm gonna ask that ya be my navigator, if ya don't mind."

How she planned on drawing on the map while riding, he decided not to ask, figuring she must have a plan.

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:31:23 pm »
Maite nodded upon hearing his name, committing it to memory. "Indeed it is."

She smiled just a bit more before adjusting herself. Since she was planning on altering the map, she simply gripped the horse with her thighs, gently moving her body to the proper rhythm so as to make her weight easier for the animal to bear.

"Not to worry. I have excellent balance."

Her hands left free, she reached into her pants pocket and pulled out a pinkish-red mapping pencil. She eyed the map, horizon, and other landmarks, calculating where they were now and where they were going.

"Alright," she responded to his navigator comment, "I'll certainly try."

Though her confident statement sounded more like "I absolutely will."

She slowly sketched along the paper, making a couple of changes; nothing major, only a few adjustments to the distancing. Patiently stroking her pencil along the map, she watched as her light lines overlapped and slowly turned into something dark and readable. Patience. Yeah, maps were one thing she could be patient with; they didn't get anxious around her. Regardless, it was a good method for scribbling on paper while in motion without tearing it. It was an essential skill for Maite, who worked with both maps and notes constantly, sometimes while chasing down the wildlife.

While doing this, she also looked around, checking their position and making sure they were headed in the right direction. She did this for several minutes before speaking.

"A bit more to the left," she corrected. She hesitated before plowing on. "If you don' mind me asking... What're you going there for?"

[ooc: lol, thanks. x3 Your sig is seriously the reason I found that video in the first place.]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:38:53 pm by Rhi-Rhi »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »
Santiago corrected their path as Maite instructed and pitched his voice so it would carry over the sound of the air rushing against them. "Probably for the same reason you're headed there, miss," he said. "Or perhaps not. I'm headed for Tynova and gotta stock up along the way. Ain't nothin' for me back home so I decided to up and head out to the big city. See about changin' things up, start a life there."

He grinned and glanced back at Maite. "Pipe dream, mayhap. Heard it's awful crowded and expensive and that the city folk look down their noses on our sort. But no harm tryin' and I'd like to at least see it."

He stared back ahead at the empty land stretching out before them. "Well, that's the long-term, at least. Short term is gettin' supplies and tuckin' in before that windstorm hits. What about you, miss? If ya don't mind my pryin'."

[it is a most epic video! xDD]

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:52 pm »
"Mmm. I see."

Maite didn't hate the people in Tynova, but she hadn't found anyone who was willing to fully accept and trust those from the frontier, like her. Whenever she went to sell her sketches, she found there to be a general wariness directed towards her. She had trained herself to ignore things like that, but she didn't think she'd be able to take it everyday.

"I commend your efforts, I suppose. I don't have any big plans, really. I'm just going to find a place to work and board for a little over a week. I uh... draw. Essentially." She grinned wryly. "Even when I find a place to settle I'm always in the wilderness."

She put her eyes back to the map, despite the fact that she wouldn't need to consult it for a while. She didn't want to look Santiago in the eye. People with big, forward-moving plans intimidated her.

It was times like this Maite wished that she had something big she was working towards. She was content though...

(ooc: It really is! =D I still wanna learn the little dance yellow-suit guy does.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:39:37 pm by Rhi-Rhi »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:27:11 pm »
"Draw, huh? Well, that ain't nothin'. That counts as a plan."

It wasn't long before the town came into view, and after that Santiago didn't need the help of the map at  all. He urged Blair into a canter as he scoped the town out--or what he could see of it. It looked like a pretty tiny place, not too many buildings with some still being built. Just a small, modest frontier town trying to grow its roots and establish itself in this harsh, unforgiving new world.

Just how he liked 'em.

"Ah, well that sure looks nice and cozy," he remarked as they drew closer. "You ever been there?"

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:36 pm »
A small smile worked its way across her face. At the very least, this complete stranger wasn't dismissing her way of living. He seemed to not mind in the least what she did.

The town, once it came into view, made Maite actually pay attention. There looked to be a couple places for gathering, though if they didn't charge her more than she could afford she'd be surprised. The town was small, but far enough out of the way that any travelers would have little choice but to oblige to the demands if they wanted a good place to stay. Fantastic.

She immediately decided to find someone to work for instead; perhaps she could get a room out of the deal. If not... outside it was.

"Cozy, huh. The size may be an issue for gettin' me a place to stay." Especially if no one wanted her assistance for the time she was here. "I haven't been. I've passed it by though, fairly recent. There's a few new buildings started."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:32:48 am »
"Well, maybe some kind folks will let us hole up with 'em for a night," Santiago mused. "Dunno about you, but a night's all I need. With any luck, though, some of those newer buildings'll be fit enough for guests."

Once the town was within reach, he drove Blair the rest of the way and reined him to a stop just outside the entrance. Swinging down out of the saddle, Santiago turned and offered a hand up to the girl. "Miss Maite."

There were only a few people milling about the town, most of them looking rather rushed as they prepared to hunker down for the storm, but those that were wandering around paused to crane their necks and peer at them curiously. It was clear it wasn't often they had visitors.

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 11:17:59 am »
"Mmm. I'll be staying for some time, depending. Not for the sake of the town, though. Just rather stay inna bed than sleep next to the stuff I sketch."

So she hoped Santiago was right, and at least one newer building was meant for guests or newcomers.
Maite smothered a large, surprised smile at his gesture, letting only one side of her lips twist up. Taking his hand, she hopped down. She put her pencil back into her pocket and offered him his map. There were lightly sketched lines correcting the placement of the plateau and placing the town right where it should be. A few lines were sweeps of the path they had just taken with distance calculations.

"Well. Hope this helps...? I think I'll check the accommodations."
She studiously ignored any gawking people.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:39 pm »
The wind was really picking up now, whipping sand and dust up into the air and stinging his eyes, and the horizon was starting to look dark and ominous--he couldn't tell if they were clouds or just dust. Looked like it was going to be a big one.

Hardly listening to what Maite was saying, he nudged her lightly with his elbow. "Don't look like there'll be much by way of accommodations," he said, and nodded toward the town. Now that he was paying attention to the folks scurrying about, he noticed that many were all headed toward a big, sturdy building just slightly west of the town, while others had boarded up their homes and seemed content to ride it out.

"I reckon that's a shelter. We'd better head over there," he said, and tugged Blair's reins to guide the horse along.

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 09:33:38 am »
The stronger gusts of wind finally tore her attention to what Santiago was pointing out. With clouds so low, it didn't matter whether it was dust or not; thunderstorms could be just as devastating, with high winds and sometimes hail.

Maite simply nodded and made to follow her acquaintance. She didn't want to get stuck outside in this, especially with no natural shelter close enough to get to in time. Besides, with all those people in one place, finding work might take less time. She could have a place to sleep by the end of it.

The building they headed to was sturdy, built long and low with solid stone to withstand the high wind speeds experienced in many towns. A man stood at the main door, ushering people inside. He looked up and caught their eyes, waving them over. It looked as though he was unperturbed by the sight of Blair, and even expected people bringing horses inside. Maite gave a short sigh of relief and sped up. She loved how no one questioned her looks in times of emergency.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal